Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Stalking Rifles"

The .308 is the most numerous chambering in my collection. I like it for many reasons. I have shot more deer with it than anything else, with the .30-06 probably being second.

One classic stalking rifle that most folks are not aware of is the Savage model 20, later renamed the model 1920. It was manuactured from 1920 to 1929 with only around 12,000 made total. The rifle weighs about 5 pounds and was made only in .250-3000 and .300 Savage. The action is sort of a mauser clone but the cocking piece gives it a Springfield look. The stock has a schnable forend tip and most wear a receiver sight on the cocking piece or thereabouts.

I had a chance to buy one about 15 years ago for $550. My wife was standing there and was agreeable but it was a .250-3000 and, based on previous experience with one in a model 99, I was afraid the twist might be too slow for 100 grain bullets. I also didn't like the stamped trigger guard. That would have been a good investment because they are up over two grand now. Oh well.

Interesting rifle

I like the slim forend and Schnabel tip. One article claimed it was the first factory bolt rifle offered to sportsmen...as opposed to sporterized military rifles.

And a followup to the 11mm single shot stalking black powder rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUuqdAQmt2Q
    Last edited by glp; 12-29-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Stalking Rifle

Every big game hunting Rifle I own, is a stalking Rifle. The only exception is that,the older I get, Weight and recoil becomes more of a deciding factor as to which one goes on the hunt.

Glenn

I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Every big game hunting Rifle I own, is a stalking Rifle. The only exception is that,the older I get, Weight and recoil becomes more of a deciding factor as to which one goes on the hunt.

Glenn
    with you!

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    Here's the mauser:
    Exactly my idea.