Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our New Lathe Arrived This Morning.

Lathe

Do I understand that you run the shaft on an unturned portion of the shaft, or is it pre-turned when you get it. I would be cocerned about runout

If you look closely you should be able to see the locations of the steady rests on the pre-turned areas and I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kobe View Post
    Do I understand that you run the shaft on an unturned portion of the shaft, or is it pre-turned when you get it. I would be cocerned about runout
    Every surface of the shaft is fully machined and truly straight. The dark brown areas between the stainless steel journals , which fit nothing, have simply developed a little surface tarnish.

We are putting the fiberglass coating on the shafts now. This coating is important because it keeps the shaft from extreme corrosion in the non critical areas. Every surface outside the hull seal is either overlayed with Stainless or coated with eight layers of fiberglass.

I will walk over and snap a picture.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1578949073
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD75BBB8-8D31-4AD4-B1E6-C343314BA0D1.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	23231  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 01-13-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Thank you for sharing Jackie your explanations along with your pictures have always made your means and methods easy for myself to understand. I can now see and understand how much of a benefit this lathe really is to your shop and how it will end up paying for itself. Please keep on sharing I can't speak for the others but you have taught me more than you might ever come to realize over the years.

Louis, he is a pretty good guy, if I say so myself.

Butch I am a competitor of a different breed, a Plainbase cast bullet benchrest shooter to be abit more exact. I also like to tinker abit and I do all of my own shooting related work. Everything Jackie and a few others here have shared over the years I have been able to put to good work. Some might tend think that is just a real long shaft sitting on a lathe. To me it's something extremely valuable that I can visualize using for some of my own competitive rifle and barrel work.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Butch I am a competitor of a different breed, a Plainbase cast bullet benchrest shooter to be abit more exact. I also like to tinker abit and I do all of my own shooting related work. Everything Jackie and a few others here have shared over the years I have been able to put to good work. Some might tend think that is just a real long shaft sitting on a lathe. To me it's something extremely valuable that I can visualize using for some of my own competitive rifle and barrel work.
    HO'leee!!

And I thought my 895-grainers were large!

Hope you make your own bullet casting blocks as even my guy in OZ can't make a mould that big!!

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    HO'leee!!

And I thought my 895-grainers were large!

Hope you make your own bullet casting blocks as even my guy in OZ can't make a mould that big!!
    Well let's see a pic of those bad boys.....🤔

Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    Well let's see a pic of those bad boys.....🤔
    Hokayyy..... but I'm opening myself up to (deserved) ridicule from Louis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200113_210632.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	23232

Here's one next to a 6BR round

BTW Louis..... When I had this mold made I tried to get a larger surface at the rear. Specifically I wanted a thin driving band at the rear for better gas seal and the guy who built this one disagreed, to put it mildly...

You're accuracy-minded. How do you make your bases?

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Hokayyy..... but I'm opening myself up to (deserved) ridicule from Louis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200113_210632.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	23232

Here's one next to a 6BR round
    At first I thought that was a .458 Socom, but the rim wasn't rebated, then I recall you talking about using .338LM brass as a parent for something like this - is that the case? What sort of powder load are you putting behind that monster?

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    At first I thought that was a .458 Socom, but the rim wasn't rebated, then I recall you talking about using .338LM brass as a parent for something like this - is that the case? What sort of powder load are you putting behind that monster?

GsT
    It's purpose-designed for ONE single purpose, a subsonic hunting round. So it'll take basically any powder.

I've worked up 1050fps loads using 13 different powders ranging from Clays/Red Dot/Bullseye family through Varget/H4350/H4831 all the way up to Retumbo/H1000

Oddly enough, with that huge bullet it does stuff no normal gun can do. For instance it will stroll casually THE FULL LENGTH of bull elk..... it will walk through a ten foot thick earth berm as though it weren't there..... and it isn't even aware that you, the meatsack trying to drive it, exists. It will BOOT you acros't Hell's Half Acre and walk on without breaking stride....

Al if you are referring to the length of the baseband I prefer to make mine 100 to 150 thousands in length depending on bullet design. I also prefer to use brass for my mould blocks the bullet quality is much higher than the other typical materials being used. My moulds are cherrie cut and the bottom picture is a cherrie that I am working on. It more clearly shows how long the baseband will be on this bullet when finished. The last picture is a finished heat treated cherrie, the cutting edges have been stoned and it's ready for use. To increase Length / weight the cherrie is lowered deeper into the blocks and the bases are all flat.

Last edited by Louis.J; 01-14-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Here is a big one it makes the one I shoot in competition look abit on the small side.
    Length 1.498, Diameter .596

Louis, I really like your bullets. The design you show is exactly what I wanted but my maker insisted that the driving band clear to the base (the part you refer to as "baseband") would "leave little fins hanging off the back and would never shoot accurately"

Basically your bullet in .501 is what I picture as 'my' perfect bullet...... My hope was to make a dead soft bullet that would expand on meat at low velocity.....It's what I wanted when I had my last mold made...... And it will end up then between 860 and 910 grains if I'm right.

Ohhh well, I found out that in real life the 50caliber hole is enough wound channel WITHOUT expansion, so it's easier/cheaper to just buy 50BMG bullets now that I can get good bullets, Match Grade bullets, up to over 800gr

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Ö then I recall you talking about using .338LM brass as a parent for something like this - is that the case?
    Al,

.510 Whisper? Or something similar w/ slightly different casing dimensions?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.510_Whisper
    Last edited by Asa Yam; 01-15-2020 at 04:12 AM.