Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumping Back In?!

Logo

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    is speedy Gonzales and the pattern on the barrel is made by polishing the barrel, then putting on plastic mesh and bead blasting it. The mesh keeps the area under it bright producing the contrast. I'm with the previous poster to assume you will need to rebarrel it unless you can positively determine the current barrel is not shot out via a bore scope exam.
    Never had heard of that technique before. I was an industrial tool and die guy and not much into the art side but that is ingenious and makes perfect sense.

Wallydog

Don't sell yourself short

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    Finally got my buddys Hawkeye borescope down the tube. The barrel is about at half life. Throat looked ok with even wear and no bad scrubbed out lands. The slightest heat checking just down from there. The barrel looked to be a cut rifle by the machine marks in the grooves but that is a guess. It has more scratch type machine marks than a typical button barrel. The action is from 2004 by serial number. Id say its been shot about 400-500 but Im guessing by past experiences. I am 5 hours drive from st Louis and 4 to Iowa matches. I have an old xp100 gun Ill probably just shoot in my local club match as I don't have a really good front rest and the eyes to think I can compete at 65 yrs old. If anyone is interested Ill take you to the gun and watch you spend your money on it. lol.

Wallydog
    Henry Chapman won the Maine State Shoot a few years ago at 83.

glp
    Don't sell yourself short
    Originally Posted by WallyDog
    " Finally got my buddys Hawkeye borescope down the tube. The barrel is about at half life. Throat looked ok with even wear and no bad scrubbed out lands. The slightest heat checking just down from there. The barrel looked to be a cut rifle by the machine marks in the grooves but that is a guess. It has more scratch type machine marks than a typical button barrel. The action is from 2004 by serial number. Id say its been shot about 400-500 but Im guessing by past experiences. I am 5 hours drive from st Louis and 4 to Iowa matches. I have an old xp100 gun Ill probably just shoot in my local club match as I don't have a really good front rest and the eyes to think I can compete at 65 yrs old. If anyone is interested Ill take you to the gun and watch you spend your money on it. lol."

Wallydog

Henry Chapman won the Maine State Shoot a few years ago at 83.

WallyDog, plan on coming to Iowa (Boone Valley Ike's) and shoot with us - at 65, you'll be about average age, possibly, as Gabby Hayes would have said, a "whipper snapper"! Get in touch with us - most have "extra" - and quite good - front rests you could try, before buying one. You'll find a welcoming, and competitive atmosphere. As Greg pointed out, yer never too old to win! RG
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 12-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Hey there Bud!

Hey there Randy sure glad to hear from you! Been a long while for sure. Im glad your still making great bullets and shooting. Believe it or not your club is the closest range to me here in The Peoples Republic of Northern Illinois. St Louis is 5 hrs in good traffic. I lost my home BR range back 15 yrs ago and I quit shooting BR. Kinda like having a race car and no track to campaign it on. I retired last year and I have time now to travel at leisure and I need a reason to start shooting again. I used to really enjoy our HBR discussions. Ever come across any Scott 3032 powder again?? lol. Wish I had 100 lbs of it! Ill have to give you a call about coming out. I have a buddy who still has all his HBR stuff and a couple thousand 150 Chisms from back when Guy was making them and has said he would like to shoot again. Take care!

Hey there Randy sure glad to hear from you! Been a long while for sure. Im glad your still making great bullets and shooting. Believe it or not your club is the closest range to me here in The Peoples Republic of Northern Illinois. St Louis is 5 hrs in good traffic. I lost my home BR range back 15 yrs ago and I quit shooting BR. Kinda like having a race car and no track to campaign it on. I retired last year and I have time now to travel at leisure and I need a reason to start shooting again. I used to really enjoy our HBR discussions. Ever come across any Scott 3032 powder again?? lol. Wish I had 100 lbs of it! Ill have to give you a call about coming out. I have a buddy who still has all his HBR stuff and a couple thousand 150 Chisms from back when Guy was making them and has said he would like to shoot again. Take care!
    I'll look forward to hearing from you.
    Don't forget Oak Hill, over by Bluegrass, IA - they R probably only a couple of Hr. from you - maybe less!RG

P.S. have a full keg of the Brig3032 - got a 220x30Deg. Russian liking it pretty well.

I am 5 hours drive from st Louis and 4 to Iowa matches.

Wallydog[/QUOTE]

Wallydog

Not sure where you are located from your information on this post
    however maybe we can help you???????
    Blue Grass Iowa part of the Quad Cities has 6 matches per year
    NBRSA sanctioned--Shooting group targets
    Were a small club but usually 13-18 at monthly matches through summer.
    10 concrete benches/with loading area under cover.
    Were a friendly group (we Think) always welcoming new, old & young/returning shooters
    Call if I can help you
    Cecil Peterson
    Davenport, Iowa
    563-343-5034

blue grass shoots

Quote Originally Posted by C.L. Peterson View Post
    I am 5 hours drive from st Louis and 4 to Iowa matches.

Wallydog
    Wallydog

Not sure where you are located from your information on this post
    however maybe we can help you???????
    Blue Grass Iowa part of the Quad Cities has 6 matches per year
    NBRSA sanctioned--Shooting group targets
    Were a small club but usually 13-18 at monthly matches through summer.
    10 concrete benches/with loading area under cover.
    Were a friendly group (we Think) always welcoming new, old & young/returning shooters
    Call if I can help you
    Cecil Peterson
    Davenport, Iowa
    563-343-5034[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the invite. Your 130 miles straight west from me down Rt80. Your closest for sure.
    Wallydog

Im gonna need a good front rest is about all and am thinking of making one.
    Wallydog
    There are 4 Farley rest available on this site today to choose from with various prices.(Reasonable)
    FYI
    Also available shooting site near you
    Galesberg, Ill rifle club shoots score matches once monthly
    They are not registered matches--club matches--non club members are welcome
    They are well attended by surrounding shooters

A small group of BR shooters at Oak Hill shoot weekdays 1-2 times / month in addition to matches----usually Thursdays--following a morning practice we have lunch and share some of lifes challenges.

Would like to involve you in any of above
    CLP

Wallydog

65 years old.....kinda young to start shooting again, I'd say?????

Later
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    65 years old.....kinda young to start shooting again, I'd say?????

Later
    Dave
    We would not hold his youth against him!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CLP
    Last edited by C.L. Peterson; 12-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.

sticker shock

Quote Originally Posted by C.L. Peterson View Post
    There are 4 Farley rest available on this site today to choose from with various prices.(Reasonable)
    FYI
    Also available shooting site near you
    Galesberg, Ill rifle club shoots score matches once monthly
    They are not registered matches--club matches--non club members are welcome
    They are well attended by surrounding shooters

A small group of BR shooters at Oak Hill shoot weekdays 1-2 times / month in addition to matches----usually Thursdays--following a morning practice we have lunch and share some of lifes challenges.

Would like to involve you in any of above
    CLP
    Thanks for the info. Ive got some sticker shock on the equipment needed nowdays. I used to shoot a Bald Eagle and it was 3 hundred-ish new! I know the Farley is an excellent rest and worth the money but Im still kind of surprised. Galesburg is pretty close. I need a home range to feel like having all the equipment purchases will get used. Im looking! Thanks again.

.....Galesburg is pretty close. I need a home range.....
    Check your PM's. I sent you some info for the Galesburg Rifle Club.

By the way, we can shoot out to 200 yards, have 16 covered benches and it's only $45 per year, no initiation fee.

Jerry

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W View Post
    Check your PM's. I sent you some info for the Galesburg Rifle Club.

By the way, we can shoot out to 200 yards, have 16 covered benches and it's only $45 per year, no initiation fee.

Jerry
    Im going to jump back in so Ill be joining so I can shoot again and have a place to practice 200. Im gonna go get that Kelby gun this week and get a good rest. Hey its only money right?

Wallydog

@ 65, your just gettin started

I jumped back in last year @ 74 and still do OK. The thing now is we don't have anything to prove except we were able to show up. Them Lenzi front rests are awful nice, by the way!

Pete

I believe the Bald Eagle is less than $200 now.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bal...st-Iron/BE1152
    Last edited by Butch Lambert; 12-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.