Thread: Jumping Back In?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jumping Back In?!

Ive got a question about a benchrest gun I stumbled across at a local gun shop. Its a Kelby Panda polished action. Barrel is marked 6ppc .263 nk. It has SGY markings on the barrel. Topped with a 36br Leupold Scope. Looks to be in nice condition with no rough handling marks etc. I don't have a bore scope so I cant look inside the beast. The bolt face however appears to be as new. The barrel has a really cool looking swirl etching on it.
    Ive been out of the game for 10 years and have nothing but a rough idea as to what its worth. I figure it has to be an older gun as Speedy hasn't built guns in a while under SGY logo? This is not an old gun by its appearance and stock. The gun is on cosignment for 2g and the shop says there is NO wiggle room on the price. What say ye?

Wallydog

Quote Originally Posted by WallyDog View Post
    Ive got a question about a benchrest gun I stumbled across at a local gun shop. Its a Kelby Panda polished action. Barrel is marked 6ppc .263 nk. It has SGY markings on the barrel. Topped with a 36br Leupold Scope. Looks to be in nice condition with no rough handling marks etc. I don't have a bore scope so I cant look inside the beast. The bolt face however appears to be as new. The barrel has a really cool looking swirl etching on it.
    Ive been out of the game for 10 years and have nothing but a rough idea as to what its worth. I figure it has to be an older gun as Speedy hasn't built guns in a while under SGY logo? This is not an old gun by its appearance and stock. The gun is on cosignment for 2g and the shop says there is NO wiggle room on the price. What say ye?

Wallydog
    That would be a good price if the barrel is not used-up. Bore scoping it should tell you if there's life left in the barrel.
    You didn't say what stock or trigger...….if you consider the cost of an action, stock, Jewell trigger, rings, and the scope, I'd say it's a good deal. Price out the components and that should tell you what a replacement gun (new) would cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by lngrng View Post
    That would be a good price if the barrel is not used-up. Bore scoping it should tell you if there's life left in the barrel.
    You didn't say what stock or trigger...….if you consider the cost of an action, stock, Jewell trigger, rings, and the scope, I'd say it's a good deal. Price out the components and that should tell you what a replacement gun (new) would cost you.
    I assume its a Jewell but didn't look. The stock looks like an SGY but its hard to tell exactly. The gun is part of an estate and its been sitting in the shop for a year.

If it has been sitting in the shop a year, that should tell you something.

The Panda is a great action. The SG&Y stock is a good design, sort of patterned after the original Borden Anamovich(sp) stocks of the early 2000’s.

The pattern on the barrel is one of Speedy’s trademarks. The only way to really ascertain the barrels quality is to shoot the thing.

Is the Panda a standard Left load? Is it Left load/right eject.?

The scope is dated, but those older Leupold 36x scopes have great glass. The internals are solid, a tucker conversion fix’s the one minor malady the had.

Take $1800 cash and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    If it has been sitting in the shop a year, that should tell you something.

The Panda is a great action. The SG&Y stock is a good design, sort of patterned after the original Borden Anamovich(sp) stocks of the early 2000’s.

The pattern on the barrel is one of Speedy’s trademarks. The only way to really ascertain the barrels quality is to shoot the thing.

Is the Panda a standard Left load? Is it Left load/right eject.?

The scope is dated, but those older Leupold 36x scopes have great glass. The internals are solid, a tucker conversion fix’s the one minor malady the had.

Take $1800 cash and see what he says.
    Im gonna go visit a buddy of mine tomorrow and beg his borescope. I got to see the throat first before I get excited. The bolt face is nearly pristine.
    Thanks Jackie

Panda action

The action serial number will tell you year of action manufacture, although nothing wrong with oldies. I still shoot my 88XX(1988) and 89XX(1989)