Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good day at the Range

Looks like you're up and running, Jackie - George makes good stuff, and has plenty of knowledge, which he shares generously. Good shootin'! RG

Jackie - George set me up with pure anhydrous lanolin too. It works great and I've never had a need to change. What bullet weight did you settle on? I started with 114's and they shoot great (7 ogive Ulrich dies). But in the offseason I'm going to experiment with column height a little.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    Last edited by Lee Martin; 12-04-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
    Jackie - George set me up with pure anhydrous lanolin too. It works great and I've never had a need to change. What bullet weight did you settle on? I started with 114's and they shoot great (7 ogive Ulrich dies). But in the offseason I'm going to experiment with column height a little.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    Lee, Iím making 112ís on .925 J4 jackets.

George said I could make up to about a 135 on a longer jacket in these dies, but I have always had good success with a 112. I can make a 115 on these jackets.

Maybe as I get more into it, I will try some heavier bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Lee, Iím making 112ís on .925 J4 jackets.

George said I could make up to about a 135 on a longer jacket in these dies, but I have always had good success with a 112. I can make a 115 on these jackets.

Maybe as I get more into it, I will try some heavier bullets.
    With a 7 ogive, and J4, you'll probably be able to make up to about a 123 Gr. and keep the lead-line back far enough to not break the point die. I used to make a fair number of 123GR. for a hand-full of Hunter Class shooters, when <125GR. was considered light! Those guys were looking for maximum BC on the short jacket . . . at the ranges we shoot, though the "hunting" is fun, it's pretty much a waste of time/resources - precision rules. Presuming a well tuned rifle, BC and velocity are, "lost in the noise" of one's doping ability. RG

lead core

Since we are talking about bullet making, I have a question( a lot, to be honest..)

Will a to hard lead alloy prevent the core to fullfill the core forming die completely?

I ask because this is the situation with my last lead lot, who seems harder and more silver colored than previous lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Liseo View Post
    Since we are talking about bullet making, I have a question( a lot, to be honest..)

Will a to hard lead alloy prevent the core to fullfill the core forming die completely?

I ask because this is the situation with my last lead lot, who seems harder and more silver colored than previous lot.
    Thatís above my pay grade in the realm of bullet making. It would seem that a harder core would be more difficult to seat and fill the jacket completely.

I ordered my cores from Charlie Hood. He knows what he is doing.

I would be curious to know how many bullet makers are outsourcing their cores.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    With a 7 ogive, and J4, you'll probably be able to make up to about a 123 Gr. and keep the lead-line back far enough to not break the point die. I used to make a fair number of 123GR. for a hand-full of Hunter Class shooters, when <125GR. was considered light! Those guys were looking for maximum BC on the short jacket . . . at the ranges we shoot, though the "hunting" is fun, it's pretty much a waste of time/resources - precision rules. Presuming a well tuned rifle, BC and velocity are, "lost in the noise" of one's doping ability. RG
    How true.

While I have never done it, I have seen Dwayne Pullum win a 300 yard Claybreak shooting his 30BR and your 112ís.

In 100/200/300 VFS, all heavier bullets give you is a sore shoulder at the end of the day.

Check this

Used 6 percent ano shot like hell 63 gr made all cal for hunting gine good pent also made spitzer looked as goodsierra

I'm guessing here, but most lead wire will fill the jacket under pressure. That is, unless the antimony content is through the roof. I buy mine from Crown Metals in Milwaukee. They call it bullet wire, which is 99.25% lead and 0.75% antimony. I'm pretty sure Charlie uses the same. When I started making bullets, I used 99.9% lead but found the bullet wire to cut a hair cleaner. It swages and seats beautifully too. Couldn't really tell a difference on paper between the two however.

-Lee
    www.singleactions.com

This is a process I would love to learn and get into mainly for personal use. It's hard to find good bullets in Canada. I wonder if the lead wire is readily available here?