Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New (1965)model winchester m70 heavy barrel target still in box

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    from the Shilen website: I wouldn't sell a good Winchester 30 cal just because it had a 1=12 barrel, but that's just me.

- 7" * for heavy VLD bullets and/or subsonic ammo.
    - 8" for bullets heavier than 220 gr.
    - 8" Ratchet rifled 4 groove
    - 10" for bullets up to 220 gr.
    - 10" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
    - 12" for bullets up to 170 gr.
    - 13" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
    - 14" * for bullets up to 168gr.
    - 15" * for bullets up to 150 gr.
    - 17" * for bullets up to 125 gr.
    Agreed. I have several 30's I hunt with and built them on a 14" twist. I shoot up to 165 grain bullets for deer hunting.

Michael

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    Agreed. I have several 30's I hunt with and built them on a 14" twist. I shoot up to 165 grain bullets for deer hunting.

Michael
    perceptions regarding twist rate vary I guess

A few years ago I purchased a pre64 Palma rifle barreled action. The fellow said he was shooting 200grn bullets. It is a Obermyer 11.25 twist and in 30 cal. Being a long barrel I cut the chamber off and had it recontoured in a Shilen #4 contour. It has been on the shelf for at least 10-15yrs. I'll find a need for it someday.

Outcomes too. Those Palma guys have a lot to answer for.

A lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    Outcomes too. Those Palma guys have a lot to answer for.
    can work to dictate twist rate...temperature, elevation....but I still wouldn't sell a model 70 with a 12 twist barrel unless I need or wanted to shoot long for caliber bullets in conditions that rate wouldn't deal with. Having shot a lot of CF score benchrest I have no desire to go back to the 14 twist rate that was gospel just 20-25 years ago. For a 125 gr bullet or lighter(1" jacket) 17 is just fine in my shooting environment and the rifle sure as ell kicks and torques less in the bags...much more pleasant to shoot and I think conducive to better results.
    Last edited by glp; 12-08-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annelise View Post
    t is a Obermyer 11.25 twist and in 30 cal. Being a long barrel I cut the chamber off and had it recontoured in a Shilen #4 contour.
    Is this a question of my post?

Exclamation take it out of the box

Take it out of the box and shoot it

Let me see

if there is any info on checkering on target models, post 64 in Rule's book. Recollection is they were not checkered as has been mentioned.

m70 featherweight

I just bought a model 70 featherweight in .308. Why? Because Im a glutton for punishment I guess. Its one of those parts made somewhere and put together somewhere else. Tried everything from 125s to 175s. Nothing shoots under 2 ins. Its a 1 in 12. I read somewhere where the marine snipers shoot 175 smk in their 1 in 12s. My 1 in 12 shot them about 5 or 6 ins. but I don't have a marine gunsmith putting it together either but I thought I might get hunting accuracy. So far I aint too impressed with the new model 70. My old pre 64s do a hell of a lot better than that. Doug

have you tried

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    I just bought a model 70 featherweight in .308. Why? Because Im a glutton for punishment I guess. Its one of those parts made somewhere and put together somewhere else. Tried everything from 125s to 175s. Nothing shoots under 2 ins. Its a 1 in 12. I read somewhere where the marine snipers shoot 175 smk in their 1 in 12s. My 1 in 12 shot them about 5 or 6 ins. but I don't have a marine gunsmith putting it together either but I thought I might get hunting accuracy. So far I aint too impressed with the new model 70. My old pre 64s do a hell of a lot better than that. Doug
    re-torquing the action screws? Factory or hand loaded ammo? Parts made in Portugal and assembled in the US. Are your scope bases tight and rings properly torqued to the scope? Have you tried a different scope?
    Last edited by glp; 03-25-2020 at 09:14 AM.

model 70

Yea, I went thru the drill and couldn't find anything out of whack. Im gonna try indexing the cartridges when I seat the bullet and when I chamber a round. It might be my seating die. That would be an easy fix. May need an inline seater. Doug

That's

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    Yea, I went thru the drill and couldn't find anything out of whack. Im gonna try indexing the cartridges when I seat the bullet and when I chamber a round. It might be my seating die. That would be an easy fix. May need an inline seater. Doug
    possible. do you have anyway of measuring seated bullet runout? Something is amiss imo if all you can do is 2" on target at 100 yds. My guess is bedding issues or a bum barrel, but the barrel would be my last guess.

mdel 70

Well, I did my experiment and if I seat the bullets in the cases turned the same way and put em in the action the same place every time. By marking the head stamp. It shot under an in. I think my seating die needs replaced. Shot a snoot full of vvn 133 that didn't hurt anything either. Ill quit bad mouthin new model 70s. Not bad for a hunting rifle. thanks, Doug

Get

A Wilson seater.

seater

Ive got l.e. Wilson for 6ppc and 3006 there so danged slow, Im pretty much one handed, I ve got some forester I get along with better. Still gotta worry about the shellholder though. Doug