Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We Just Purchased A “New” Lathe

Impressive, to say the least. Great to see a fine older piece being brought back into service. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    You bought it 50yrs ago?
    Butch,

You lost me on that one. If you mean my house, no...I bought that in 1996.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by rsmithsr View Post
    and what is your house worth in todays California market ?
    rsmithsr,

I don't know, but definitely more than what I paid for it. It's for rent, if you're interested

We're in escrow on a new one. The new one is DEFINITELY not less than Jackie's new lathe.

Back to having a house payment...

Justin

Jackie...Is the Le Blond the same one you replaced the headstock bearings in?

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Jackie...Is the Le Blond the same one you replaced the headstock bearings in?

Mort
    Yes. We also converted it to a frequency drive system to stop and start it.

Hello jackie

Jackie is your building long enough to test your benchrest rifles being that you have all machines at hand that makes it nice

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Butch,

You lost me on that one. If you mean my house, no...I bought that in 1996.

Justin
    I heard you can't buy a house for less than $500,000 in Kalif. now.

I heard you can't buy a house for less than $500,000 in Kalif. now.
    Butch,

Depends on where you're at. In my area, $500,000 is a starter home now. LA, Orange County, San Diego, etc., are pricey, and the bay area is ridiculous. But there are some gorgeous areas in the Sierra Nevada foothills that are far less.

Justin

That puts it all in perspective I have a 14-40 lathe (40 inches), yours is XXX-40 (40 feet). Nice machine!!! If I could post pictures I would show me and my friend splitting my tractor wheels in his big Summit or is it Monarch? He has one of each. With the gap removed the tractor wheels fit with 1/8th to spare.

Butch,

Depends on where you're at. In my area, $500,000 is a starter home now. LA, Orange County, San Diego, etc., are pricey, and the bay area is ridiculous. But there are some gorgeous areas in the Sierra Nevada foothills that are far less.

Justin
    My youngest Son and Family live in Lancaster and $1,000,000 is a nice house with space, but it ain't special. It is not a place I care about. If Chad and wife were able to find jobs as good as theirs, they would be in Texas in a minute.

Move north

My youngest Son and Family live in Lancaster and $1,000,000 is a nice house with space, but it ain't special. It is not a place I care about. If Chad and wife were able to find jobs as good as theirs, they would be in Texas in a minute.
    to Manitoba.......way cheaper.

No poisonous snakes or insects, almost no flooding except in spring thaw depending on the amount of snow and the odd small tornado.

Oh yah, you have no snow or -30 degree temps. Stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    to Manitoba.......way cheaper.

No poisonous snakes or insects, almost no flooding except in spring thaw depending on the amount of snow and the odd small tornado.

Oh yah, you have no snow or -30 degree temps. Stay there.
    Ohh yeahhhh, I really miss those spring frost boils.... and mosquitos..... and 40 below......

but BTST my daughter's best friend just married a guy from the midwest and they moved to Ironwood MI and bought a HOUSE in town on a lot a quarter mile from the lake........ bought and moved into a fixer-upper they could work on while living there..... they're warm, dry and comfortable, raising a baby, and the place is looking better all the time.......

For $29,000.00

"Downside?" When they get it all fixed up and looking new and fresh,

It'll be worth less than a new pickup truck. Kinda' hard to "make money" in that housing market, but an awesome place to live.

And it's pretty warm there in Ironwood, "Lake Effect" ensures that it rarely dips below -20F....30 below is considered mighty cold..... LOL

Butch,

I worked for LASD from 90-94. Back then, the Palmdale/Lancaster area was pretty much desolate. People were just starting to move out there because it was affordable. I was down there a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how populated it had become. Wish I would have bought some land out there all those years ago...

Our new digs. Note the shop, and my attraction to the property should be readily apparent. But this will give you an idea of what your money can buy in my locale of the People's Republic of Kali...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...15432520_zpid/

Justin

Butch,

I worked for LASD from 90-94. Back then, the Palmdale/Lancaster area was pretty much desolate. People were just starting to move out there because it was affordable. I was down there a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how populated it had become. Wish I would have bought some land out there all those years ago...

Our new digs. Note the shop, and my attraction to the property should be readily apparent. But this will give you an idea of what your money can buy in my locale of the People's Republic of Kali...

Justin

Nice place Justin. My Son and DIL worked at Plant 42 in Palmdale when in the Air Force at the Lockheed U2 rebuild facility. After retiring about 8yrs ago the went to work for Northrup in the same area.

ohh near the prison, no wonder so cheap(lol) and the nuc plant.
    Butch,

Justin