Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: CZ 457 MTR stock mod for ARA benchrest

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    19

    CZ 457 MTR stock mod for ARA benchrest

    Before and after pics of my CZ 457 MTR stock. The new forearm is 3" wide and extended 2". The rear has been "straightened out", dead parallel to the forearm and barrel channel, and channeled down to 5/8" wide by 1/2" deep to run in my PQP joy-stick rest. Really happy that I got this work done.

    Here is a link to the stocksmith's site and more pics - https://doantrevor.com/2019/10/24/re...ass-ara-stock/ This gentleman (Doan Trevor) does incredible work, has excellent turn around time, and very reasonable prices! Don't let the SoCal phone number prefix fool you, his shop is in New Mexico.

    Compare pic 1 and 2 - note that the front rest top is now down at the lowest vertical height (where #1 was at almost the top)

    3rd and 4th pics - note that to maintain alignment with the barrel channel the buttstock "rail" was machined well offset to the side.

    Definitely got what I paid for! Happy camper. Out to the range this coming week - to show how much I can mess up a good thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2941.JPG 
Views:	445 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	23062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2968.JPG 
Views:	391 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	23063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2978 PS.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	23064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centerline.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	23065  
    Last edited by ELR Researcher; 11-03-2019 at 08:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SouthWest Region
    Posts
    212
    Great job
    Let us know how it shoots?
    i am to see what scores you get
    What ammo are you using?

    DAN

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    262

    Cool Make sure

    Rimfire gun must shyoot in ones at 50 yds or not competive 5 shot groups bill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SouthWest Region
    Posts
    212
    How did the test go?
    Targets??

    DAN

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by danl View Post
    How did the test go?
    Targets??

    DAN
    Belatedly...

    I shot 3 targets at Open Grove in late November (in one of their three regular monthly matchs). Met my very conservative expectations (no pics - to save face). I was kindly received and counseled to promptly get a set of Ray Hill flags, and I have. The rifle seemed to shoot fine though I most sincerely "wish" that it would accept a Rem 700-compatible trigger. Several shots went way off the mark for whatever reason, so I'm looking forward to the JnL tuner and bench time to sort things out. The tuner has yet to ship, on backorder for over a month and past due. All that noted, I invested in 20 boxes of Tenex.

    If you can believe my stupidity, I've even contacted the Lapua ammo test facility in AZ to inquire about testing there (once the tuner is in place and sorted out) - to compare my new Tenex lot to what they have available in X-Act...super ouch, that stuff is very seriously expensive, a third more than Tenex...and, MUCH worse, if I like a lot, the min they will sell you is a 5000 round case (now that would be VERY serious indeed, min, less shipping, of well over $2K). Obviously, I'm now going delusional. As I just researched and ran that number, I'm thinking I must have a fever.

    In any case, I'm getting my feet wet, hopefully not on my way to another project which I cannot even start to "justify".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio - Land of the "Mogs"
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
    Belatedly...

    I shot 3 targets at Open Grove in late November (in one of their three regular monthly matchs). Met my very conservative expectations (no pics - to save face). I was kindly received and counseled to promptly get a set of Ray Hill flags, and I have. The rifle seemed to shoot fine though I most sincerely "wish" that it would accept a Rem 700-compatible trigger. Several shots went way off the mark for whatever reason, so I'm looking forward to the JnL tuner and bench time to sort things out. The tuner has yet to ship, on backorder for over a month and past due. All that noted, I invested in 20 boxes of Tenex.

    If you can believe my stupidity, I've even contacted the Lapua ammo test facility in AZ to inquire about testing there (once the tuner is in place and sorted out) - to compare my new Tenex lot to what they have available in X-Act...super ouch, that stuff is very seriously expensive, a third more than Tenex...and, MUCH worse, if I like a lot, the min they will sell you is a 5000 round case (now that would be VERY serious indeed, min, less shipping, of well over $2K). Obviously, I'm now going delusional. As I just researched and ran that number, I'm thinking I must have a fever.

    In any case, I'm getting my feet wet, hopefully not on my way to another project which I cannot even start to "justify".
    As a FYI and no more... the tuner will not cure flyers. X-Act is not an ammunition found at benchrest matches. Even the most affluent shun the stuff due to cost.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    Ralph makes a valid point.
    You do not need the highest priced ammo, particularly in a factory based platform that is unlikely to pay you consistent dividends on paper.
    No doubt, you’ve done a fine job with your CZ but you are farther ahead concentrating on improving your skills, saving money and down the road potentially upgrading to a true purpose built gun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    As a FYI and no more... the tuner will not cure flyers. X-Act is not an ammunition found at benchrest matches. Even the most affluent shun the stuff due to cost.
    As an FYI, and no more, seems Lapua does just fine:

    2017 PSL Main Event [the most recent main event with equipment list including ammo] - top 4 and 5 in top 6 - http://www.proshootingleague.com/the...-results-2017/

    2019 PSL Shotmaster 10X - top 2 and 3 in top 4 - http://www.proshootingleague.com/res...quipment-list/

    2019 PSL Benchrest Brawl - 2nd and 3rd - http://www.proshootingleague.com/res...quipment-list/

    The last 2 events are part of the "Eley Benchrest Series".

    Again, just an FYI.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Ralph makes a valid point.
    You do not need the highest priced ammo, particularly in a factory based platform that is unlikely to pay you consistent dividends on paper.
    No doubt, you’ve done a fine job with your CZ but you are farther ahead concentrating on improving your skills, saving money and down the road potentially upgrading to a true purpose built gun.
    Agreed 100%!

    Since the AZ testing is rifle-specific, and 5000 rounds is north of $2K, (to me) the obvious scenario is to learn on the CZ and, assuming I somehow rationalize the cost of a purpose-built rig (3 barrels), THEN transit over to AZ and test with all three barrels with the best lots I can then find of Tenex and all the available X-Act lots. At this point, that is pretty pie-in-the-sky.

    Back to reality and working with the CZ.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,745
    You missed Ralph’s point, it wasn't a knock on Lapua it was to point out the vast majority shoot Midas not the most expensive X act.
    Plus, in point of fact, you don’t need 3 barrels , or 2 for that matter.
    You seem intent on making this harder than it needs to be, but hey , knock yourself out.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    799
    try center x in that cz you might be surprised, flyers are not always ammo related, any of us could write a 10 page dissertation on that and it would barely break the surface. Just to really mess with your mind- ammo that works today might not tomorrow.
    Great that you got a set of flags- but watch out for mirage as they won't show you that. ( just another flyer producing item)
    Course the whole point is to have fun even if it drives you batty.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    16
    Regarding testing at Lapua:

    I tested there this Spring and only bought a brick each of Center-X and Midas +. I did not test X-Act, as I would never pay that much for Ammo.

    There was not a minimum purchase quantity. I bought through Joe Chacon, as he had the lot and the best price, including shipping. I have an 03 FFL, so it shipped directly to me. I know you are in CA, so you will need to have it shipped to your Friendly Neighborhood FFL. There are some in my area that will take the delivery and No Charge to the recipient.

    Make sure you bring your Control Ammo, that is currently shooting best in your rifle. The Eley Match that I brought easily outshoot all of the Lapua Lots we tested.

    Good Luck. Hope to see you up in Oxnard or down in Escondido this Season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •