Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Tuna's.... the next Big Thing

Al,
    About a decade ago, a friend made me a couple of copies of the Dwight Scott prototype tuners, and I have played with one of them on a PPC barrel. Recently I have gone over some of those notes. I had started out with the threaded rod at 6:00 O'clock and after fiddling with how far out the rod was , on a whim, I loosened the whole thing, rotated it so that the rod was at about 4:30 as viewed from the rear, and it started shooting better. Since the barrel had responded pretty well to conventional powder charge tuning, and the tuner seemed to be another variable, in the interest of simplicity, it, and the other one. live happily in a drawer...but I still have a barrel with the muzzle turned .900, so I can always dust it off and try it again.

Boyd, was it this one - May 2008?

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boydtuner.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	23068

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Allen View Post
    Al,
    About a decade ago, a friend made me a couple of copies of the Dwight Scott prototype tuners, and I have played with one of them on a PPC barrel. Recently I have gone over some of those notes. I had started out with the threaded rod at 6:00 O'clock and after fiddling with how far out the rod was , on a whim, I loosened the whole thing, rotated it so that the rod was at about 4:30 as viewed from the rear, and it started shooting better. Since the barrel had responded pretty well to conventional powder charge tuning, and the tuner seemed to be another variable, in the interest of simplicity, it, and the other one. live happily in a drawer...but I still have a barrel with the muzzle turned .900, so I can always dust it off and try it again.

Boy-O-Boy are you talkin' my game there! Like you're reading my mail Adding more moving parts to make a thing simpler is just bassackwards!

I still am out on a limb with PPC stuff but with the long barrels of the 600 and 1000yd stuff and the simple fact that pre-loading is the only game in town I STILL keep going back to tuning as a way out when a barrel doesn't respond in a predictable way.

I recently built a 29" 6X47L on a Stolle L/R manual eject, my perfect 600yd racegun....I did EVERYTHING right, indexed to dead center, biased the bedding to compensate for torque, it simply had to shoot ......

and it didn't,

setting and shooting out the window it had me tearing my imaginary hairs out..... IT WANTED TO SHOOT! It danced around like a puppy stomping on my boots with a stick in it's mouth but just never settled on a direction. Juust as it would get down near tight it'd start leaking in another direction, round and round....So I took the barrel off, set the stock aside and stuck the action on my rail to play with.

Long/Short, I wasn't happy so a couple weeks ago I bolted it all back together but this time I clamped on a spinny tuner. 3 moves counter-clockwise had it printing dead vertical and 3 moves of the bolt inboard and it walked into dots.

Happy Happy Happy

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post

John

Well lookeee there!

Maybe I'm in good company after all

Me M'ither would be proud

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post

John

Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    OK, so maybe it ain't me.... I definitely took and stored and loaded that guy right side up!

Maybe the BRC program likes portrait style instead of vertical?

I'll try another format (experiment, NOT RELEVANT )

Attachment 23067
    Whatever you're shooting with (phone, etc.) is preserving the orientation in the EXIF data. You can clear that data (with appropriate software) or rotate and save the picture with software that will update the EXIF. IrfanView (free!) will do either. https://www.irfanview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Whatever you're shooting with (phone, etc.) is preserving the orientation in the EXIF data. You can clear that data (with appropriate software) or rotate and save the picture with software that will update the EXIF. IrfanView (free!) will do either. https://www.irfanview.com/
    Thank you!

"turning the group"

Work in progress.... today I turned the entire tuner clockwise and the group rotated counterclockwise when I started to adjust the rod....

So I swang the thang over to the other side and got 'er good-a-go. Found vertical and tuned' er out.

All of this work is using loads that I've called "My Match Loads" in that the one load shoots dots with two different 6X47L bbls and the other is set to dot with a bare PacNor 300WSM