Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stock design question?

stock design question?

Anyone see any advantage or disadvantage of only having the two outer edges of the stock touching the front bag instead of all three inch riding the bag? Im thinking just leaving a 1/2" on each side and routering out the center area. Im thinking it might decrease the chances of the stock rocking if you dont have bag filled just right.

Thanks

I think the rules for registered competition require it to be flat.

This rifle will be used only for local club matches as any registered matches are too far away for me to travel to.

I wouldn't do it

Registered 100-200-300 disallow (the rules state specifically "convex surface") it and I'd be afraid I'd build bad habits from it.

Hey TrxR;
    As the rules for both IBS and NBRSA both state the forearm should be flat or convex, you might turn your attention to getting your front bag in a flat or concave shape. You should be able to move the sand around to the ears or at least to the outer edges of the bag. Simple massaging of the bag should get this done and then making a wood or metal block to place in the front rest between shooting outings should keep the bag in the shape you want. What rest and bag are you using? Being in New Brunswick, you have all winter to work on that.
    Last edited by FBecigneul; 10-26-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Hey TrxR;
    As the rules for both IBS and NBRSA both state the forearm should be flat or convex, you might turn your attention to getting your front bag in a flat or concave shape. You should be able to move the sand around to the ears or at least to the outer edges of the bag. Simple massaging of the bag should get this done and then making a wood or metal block to place in the front rest between shooting outings should keep the bag in the shape you want. What rest and bag are you using? Being in New Brunswick, you have all winter to work on that.
    Right now Im using a cowan rest and a edgewood front bag.

Im probably never going to shoot a registered match as the closest is probably a 3 day drive away.

There are a number of matches in Maine. So, rather than alter a stock and make it near impossible to sell, I think I’d work on the front bag to make it concave and have the rifle run the outer edges on the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Right now Im using a cowan rest and a edgewood front bag.

Im probably never going to shoot a registered match as the closest is probably a 3 day drive away.
    In spite of that, probably a bad idea mostly because these guns want to rotate in the front bag, on recoil.
    I suspect a narrow outer edge with make bag deformation a lot easier than a flat/wider surface.

It was pointed out to me that the long range benchrest guys use this setup.

Does anyone have a link to the rules for the stocks for heavy varmint for score? Like the slope required and so forth? The stock is this winters project.

NBRSA Varmint for Score is fired with a rifle that is legal to be used in class Heavy Varmint.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 10-26-2019 at 07:32 PM.

It was pointed out to me that the long range benchrest guys use this setup.
    I have two of them.... in 17lb and 65lb

Yes, the concept "works" and as has been stated, it has it's own set of problems. I just wouldn't mix my metaphors like that in your case. IMO it's worthwhile to use a rifle as it's been designed to be used.

That said, I also have a "universal gun" which has 7 competition barrels, a tinkertoy forend (plate/rails/extension) which allows it to be legal in everything from 10lb HBR through LG and HV Group, VFS and even LG 600yd..... I FEEL ya'...... I'm just opining that you should use yours as it's been designed to be used.

Are the IBS rules and NBRSA rules the same as far as stock design is concerned?

Does the forend have to be parallel with the action or can it have a slope to it?

Folks are shooting sub .2 inch aggregates with a 3 inch flat forend. Just sayin'.

Are the IBS rules and NBRSA rules the same as far as stock design is concerned?

Does the forend have to be parallel with the action or can it have a slope to it?
    I am not aware of any rule regarding the slope of a forend. My 6PPC has a slope in that area.