Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: I made a couple of wind probes today.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,491

    I made a couple of wind probes today.

    I had enough material laying around and some time to kill, so I made up a couple of wind bobbers.

    Iím going to Tomball tomorrorw to see how they work.

    The hub is mounted on 3/8 ball bearings, lightly pressed together. the rods are 3/8 x .030 wall with pressed in 1/4 20 inserts. The counterweights are barrel drops.

    I may have to do some fine tuning, or start all over. Depends on how they work.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1571451588

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1571451641
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1727EBD4-A437-460A-B514-0F22324540C3.jpeg 
Views:	805 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	23009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04455D29-FF4B-495D-85B7-9D57EE3A8EC6.jpeg 
Views:	610 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	23010  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 10-18-2019 at 11:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,455
    I am impressed. And I have about 30 sets of skateboard bearings and various others from making barrel spinners etc.... Love my Gene Beggs Wind Probe and hadn't considered the "bobber" alone concept. Thanks for giving me another project

    How did you cut the holes in the cups?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    77
    I will be interested on how they will go especially without any dampening.
    Did the original ones not have any?

    I have two of the Beggs units with plastic dampers, so curious how the original Neilson ones were made.

    Have used those without the scale attached before

    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Huebner; 10-19-2019 at 02:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    1,055

    I have 2 Beggs

    Probes. A large and a small. Both have the dampeners.

    Balanced from the day I received them from Gene. I have not used them a lot as still not certain the proper way to read them.

    I have heard they are better used as when Not to shoot versus when to shoot?????

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poetry, Tex.
    Posts
    6,417
    The originals were hydraulic damped.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,491
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I am impressed. And I have about 30 sets of skateboard bearings and various others from making barrel spinners etc.... Love my Gene Beggs Wind Probe and hadn't considered the "bobber" alone concept. Thanks for giving me another project

    How did you cut the holes in the cups?
    The probes worked just fine today.

    I made the cups adjustable up and down so I could fine tune the balance. There is a small 3/8 ID lock collar on the top and bottom, allowing me to adjust the height of the cups on the rod.

    The non dampening was not an issue. John Jones had a original Beggs Probe just a few benches over, mine reacted identical to his.

    I set up at 200 with a five flag set, with one probe at about 60 yards and the other at about 140, shooting my 6BR with Bartís 80 grn Dominators and N530 powder. I got it shooting at about a .250 agg level with 31.9 grns at an average 3350 FPS, just off the lands.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,491
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Ip Thanks for giving me another project

    How did you cut the holes in the cups?
    I do everything the machinist way. I took a piece of round bar and faced it the same length as the inside of the cup. I tuned one end down to fit the inside of the bottom of the cup. I drilled and tapped tapped the other end 3/8.

    I then chucked the piece up and spotted it with a 3/8 drill. I the bolted the piece to one of our small drill press tables, adjusting the table until a 3/8 drill was dead center of the spot.

    Put the cup on, hold it down firm, and it drills a nice clean 3/8 hole dead center.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1571533759
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	23011  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 10-19-2019 at 10:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,455
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I do everything the machinist way. I took a piece of round bar and faced it the same length as the inside of the cup. I tuned one end down to fit the inside of the bottom of the cup. I drilled and tapped tapped the other end 3/8.

    I then chucked the piece up and spotted it with a 3/8 drill. I the bolted the piece to one of our small drill press tables, adjusting the table until a 3/8 drill was dead center of the spot.

    Put the cup on, hold it down firm, and it drills a nice clean 3/8 hole dead center.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1571533759
    Thank you.

    nice sketch

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    1,055

    Picture of the dampened probes

    Enjoy

    When I think about it, for the non machinist, the time and effort that must have gone in to making the dampened probes.

    The price in the day, well worth it.

    Calvin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191020_083050.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	23012  
    Last edited by CYanchycki; 10-20-2019 at 10:39 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albany, OR
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    Enjoy

    When I think about it, for the non machinist, the time and effort that must have gone in to making the dampened probes.

    The price in the day, well worth it.

    Calvin
    Anyone who gets machine tools and learns to use them quickly changes his tune from "$40 for this?!!" to "How'd they make that for only $40??".

    GsT

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,491
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Anyone who gets machine tools and learns to use them quickly changes his tune from "$40 for this?!!" to "How'd they make that for only $40??".

    GsT
    The advent of CNC machining has revolutionized not only the quantity of products that are available, but also the cost. Many of the products we enjoy are indeed manufactured on CNC equipment. Think about actions. If it were not for CAD/CAM, can you imagine what a action would cost in todayís dollars.

    The performance car industry is the same. It is amazing what is available to anybody with a JEGS catalogue and a credit card.

    For someone like me, if I get a hankering to build something, I just look at what I have laying around the Shop and just carve away everything that doesnít look like a wind probe, or about anything for that matter. Most of the time, I donít even make a drawing. I just picture it in my head and do it.

    But, if I were making pieces such as this to sell, I would have to make up some fixtures and run them at a production pace, not only for time, but for repeatability. It would be very labor intensive.

    Or I could go purchase a small CNC machining center.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 10-20-2019 at 01:41 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Eastern Australia
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by CYanchycki View Post
    Probes. A large and a small. Both have the dampeners.

    Balanced from the day I received them from Gene. I have not used them a lot as still not certain the proper way to read them.

    I have heard they are better used as when Not to shoot versus when to shoot?????
    G'day from Australia.

    I too am interested in making my own wind probes if I know that they will help with my target shooting and how to use/read them.
    Any more info as there is very little online.

    Regards * doggie *

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,491
    I learned a lot about wind probes at the Nationals having had two in front of each bench between the flags.

    As many have stated, when probes are used in conjunction with flags, they tell you more about when NOT to shoot than anything else.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SW Kansas
    Posts
    691

    Where did you get the

    threaded inserts? I have looked in McMaster.

    Thanks Jackie.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    threaded inserts? I have looked in McMaster.

    Thanks Jackie.
    I made them from 5/8 aluminum.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1572107507
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	23030  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 10-26-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •