Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Scope durability ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    466

    Scope durability ?

    I have an older Redfield Golden 5 star scope. What"s the likelihood that it won't get destroyed if it gets put onto a muzzleloader? I know that rifle scopes aren't generally advised to be used on shotguns or air rifles because of the type of recoil. What about muzzleloaders? Ok to use on one or not?
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 09-29-2019 at 08:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,725
    No problem on a smoke pole. -Al

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,641

    I have never understood

    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    I have an older Redfield Golden 5 star scope. What"s the likelihood that it won't get destroyed if it gets put onto a muzzleloader? I know that rifle scopes aren't generally advised to be used on shotguns or air rifles because of the type of recoil. What about muzzleloaders? Ok to use on one or not?
    why some advise not using scopes on rimfires unless they are "rimfire" scopes. Recoil is recoil, albeit more civilized with a rimfire. Perhaps someone can comment?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    I have an older Redfield Golden 5 star scope. What"s the likelihood that it won't get destroyed if it gets put onto a muzzleloader? I know that rifle scopes aren't generally advised to be used on shotguns or air rifles because of the type of recoil. What about muzzleloaders? Ok to use on one or not?
    ty

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    why some advise not using scopes on rimfires unless they are "rimfire" scopes. Recoil is recoil, albeit more civilized with a rimfire. Perhaps someone can comment?
    Hi Greg. Agreed on the rimfires.

    Springer air rifles can be real scope killers due to the 'reverse recoil'. The 3-9 A.O. scope on my good springer match rifle weighs 24 oz. It has a muzzle brake that should help scope life.

    It's a great rig for whackin' rabbits and gophers around my sod hut here on the prairie.... -Al

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,191
    If you need a scope..put a scope on it and enjoy yourself. If you find the scope goofed up get another.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Carrollton Mo.
    Posts
    358
    Send er back to the factory. They'll fix it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,641

    Al

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Hi Greg. Agreed on the rimfires.

    Springer air rifles can be real scope killers due to the 'reverse recoil'. The 3-9 A.O. scope on my good springer match rifle weighs 24 oz. It has a muzzle brake that should help scope life.

    It's a great rig for whackin' rabbits and gophers around my sod hut here on the prairie.... -Al
    I've heard that about spring and piston air rifles. Makes sense. Around my place, I've been shootin' mice off my tractor while mowing the fields this fall with my model 19 2-1/2". More mice in the field = fewer in the house!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Carrollton Mo.
    Posts
    358

    Redfield

    I guess it would be hard to send a Redfield scope back to the factory when their out of business. I wasn't thinking. I had a 6-18 redfield I sent to Ironsight in OK. I think Tulsa. Fixed it. Doug

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    I guess it would be hard to send a Redfield scope back to the factory when their out of business. I wasn't thinking. I had a 6-18 redfield I sent to Ironsight in OK. I think Tulsa. Fixed it. Doug
    May not be worth it if it does go titsup. What usually happens when they fail? Not my muzzleloader, giving it to a family member to use on his smoke pole.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,191
    Depends on what you have the scope on. A scope that wanders an inch shot to shot on a converted military rifle might never be detected....etc and so forth....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    May not be worth it if it does go titsup. What usually happens when they fail? Not my muzzleloader, giving it to a family member to use on his smoke pole.
    I can find out the exact smokepole if it matters. away from home at the moment

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •