Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet weld?

Bullet weld?

How common is it? Why would it happen for one round in a box of reloads and not another?

What likely caused this? Bullet weld or obstructed barrel? Something else? Not mine. Cases are the ones from rounds fired right before the BIG ONE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_633.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	22877

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_637.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	22878

Name:	IMG_0765.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	22879

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	22876
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 09-10-2019 at 02:36 PM.

The fourth case from the left has damage that could be consistent with something in the chamber & all of them suggest brisk loads at the least or oversized cases.

I'd be looking for operator error first.

NOT "bullet weld" IMO

What's the barrel look like?
    Looks like case failure....or what the barrel look like????

Case on the left. Has a cracked neck....All look very well used brass. In a Savage, that's not good....

What kind of primers and how old ?....I have used most primers. They look real old.....very badly tarnished....

Last edit. All cases appear to be cracked or damaged.

Why are the shoulders shiney? They are too clean.......
    Last edited by zippy06; 09-10-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    The fourth case from the left has damage that could be consistent with something in the chamber & all of them suggest brisk loads at the least or oversized cases.

I'd be looking for operator error first.
    He says that he fired 5 or 6 handloads without incident and then all hell broke loose.

Reloads from a couple years ago , store in ammo box in a shooting bag.
    Rifle is a 22-250 Savage Model 10
    Bullets are 55Gn Hornady V-Max
    35GN of Varget Powder

I'm not a .22-250 man but are those loads too light? Could be the one that went was even lighter.

medium load in a Savage M-10. 5-6 reloads pushing it....in a .223 rem.
    22-250 he just won the lotto of life....Go buy some lotto tickets....

Case head separation. The web is too thin.

Unless he left a patch in the chamber to keep his trigger clean......and barrel lubed, till next time....
    Heard stranger stuff....
    A little snow will blast a barrel wide open....it's on youtube. A shot gunner liked to rest his shotgun on his toe.
    Forgot he was hunting. The little snow on his boot and a 30-06 split the barrel like a banana....
    Last edited by zippy06; 09-10-2019 at 09:02 PM.

I don't see the cracked neck or damaged case. Perhaps my eyes aren't that good? What I do see is that the loads must have been quite stiff. Looks like the marks from the chamber reamer are engraved on the cases. He says 35 grains of varget, but who knows if the measurement was accurate.

What I suspect is that his powder bridged in the measure or something and the last load was so low that it detonated - the primer spark bridged both ends of the powder as it lay in the bottom of the case. I have heard of this happening with exactly the same result as we see in the pictures. You get a pressure wave from both ends and they meet in the middle with explosive results.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy06 View Post
    What's the barrel look like?
    Looks like case failure....or what the barrel look like????

Case on the left. Has a cracked neck....All look very well used brass. In a Savage, that's not good....

What kind of primers and how old ?....I have used most primers. They look real old.....very badly tarnished....

Last edit. All cases appear to be cracked or damaged.

Why are the shoulders shiney? They are too clean.......

It's posted on the Long Range Hunting forums by member normyt. It seems as tho when he threw his charges with a measure he may have undercharged a case.

harrells

Ive gotta weigh every charge in my Harrells unless in throwing vv-n133. Theres probably other powders out there you don't have to weigh but I try to be on the safe side. Im a cripple with one good eye. I don't need to lose anything else. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    Ive gotta weigh every charge in my Harrells unless in throwing vv-n133. Theres probably other powders out there you don't have to weigh but I try to be on the safe side. Im a cripple with one good eye. I don't need to lose anything else. Doug

I've never used Varget. Is it a stick type ike IMR4831? I'd only throw something like a ball powder. I used SR4756 in .38 special loads because it's near impossible to double charge and not know it. Still got a lot I'll probably never use.

Harrells

Ive got 2 Harrells. One premium measure and one black one, I don't know the model, the premium bridges worse than the cheaper one. I try to use all ball but I ve got a lot of extruded layin around. Gotta do something with it. Keep on weighing. Doug

Mr. Harrell, If your on here, Im not giving the measure bad press. It throws ball great, within a tenth. Ive just got a bunch of old extruded Ive gotta use up. I wasn't knockin your product . They sure speed up loading when you got the right stuff. I know youre on here sometimes so I clearsd that up. Doug

Do the commercial loaders like Federal, et al use the short cut version of the stick powders considering the speed at which they load ammo? I suppose I could pull a bullet and look, but I'd just as soon not.

Lake City used Winchester ball powder. I don't know what they used when Dupont ran the plant. Federal runs it now and I aint got a clue.

To all who think ball powder throws good..... my testing (and pulling rounds 'til two in the morning a couple times) has taught me that ball powder throws no better than short stick.