Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Bullet weld?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Do the commercial loaders like Federal, et al use the short cut version of the stick powders considering the speed at which they load ammo? I suppose I could pull a bullet and look, but I'd just as soon not.
    The commercial factories use industrial powder that they purchase by the ton.

    It is NOT canister grade and varies significantly more.
    They work up a load, often measuring pressures, and then start the machinery up.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    The commercial factories use industrial powder that they purchase by the ton.

    It is NOT canister grade and varies significantly more.
    They work up a load, often measuring pressures, and then start the machinery up.
    I'm aware of that, but since they load at a rate of several hundred rounds per minute IIRC they have to use something that meters fairly well.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    775
    And the big boys run in to glitches as well.
    I have never had a detonation that i am aware of, but I did have light loads/ insufficient powder in a 375 Weatherby ( starting loads for 375 HH), of the 2 or 3 rounds fired none of the 300 gr pills left the case, the case it self was collapsed , the charge burned in the case created a vacuum and self extinguished. Long time ago likely 4831 - I still have that rig shoots fantastic at 600 yards unfortunately I was looking to build something for 1000 yds at the time, some where between 600 and 1000 that 300 gr pill would destablize and be lucky to hit the target board at 1000 yds sideways. Someday I intend to revisit that unit with some of the newer slow powders available now.

    22 lr Eley black box, Win 52 c, circa 1979 bad lot blew the magazine out and other minor damage- no personal injuries- was not my unit person next to on firing line.
    1982-or 3- 30/06, 03A3 cast Bullets, Redot, overcharged, experienced reloader, made a mess of that 03A3 again on the firing line next to me 200 yard reduced course NM. 3 previous shots were fine ( all 10's). Again no one was injured although he was pretty shook up. At the time I was shooting a #4 Enfield with cast bullets. Hence the reason that I throw short and trickle up every charge.
    Last edited by blades; 09-17-2019 at 09:42 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    And the big boys run in to glitches as well.
    I have never had a detonation that i am aware of, but I did have light loads/ insufficient powder in a 375 Weatherby ( starting loads for 375 HH), of the 2 or 3 rounds fired none of the 300 gr pills left the case, the case it self was collapsed , the charge burned in the case created a vacuum and self extinguished. Long time ago likely 4831 - I still have that rig shoots fantastic at 600 yards unfortunately I was looking to build something for 1000 yds at the time, some where between 600 and 1000 that 300 gr pill would destablize and be lucky to hit the target board at 1000 yds sideways. Someday I intend to revisit that unit with some of the newer slow powders available now.

    22 lr Eley black box, Win 52 c, circa 1979 bad lot blew the magazine out and other minor damage- no personal injuries- was not my unit person next to on firing line.
    1982-or 3- 30/06, 03A3 cast Bullets, Redot, overcharged, experienced reloader, made a mess of that 03A3 again on the firing line next to me 200 yard reduced course NM. 3 previous shots were fine ( all 10's). Again no one was injured although he was pretty shook up. At the time I was shooting a #4 Enfield with cast bullets. Hence the reason that I throw short and trickle up every charge.
    Speakin a sideways on paper is it normal to expect that a 6.5mm Sierra 130 grain tipped GameKing would make a smaller cleaner hole in the target than would a Hornady 6.5mm 129 grain SST bullet?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    321
    Itís all about the tune. A well tuned bullet to barrel twist will spin truer than a bullet that doesnít match the twist rate and then yaws.
    Then again, itís about the backer on the frame and humidity in the paper and, and, and.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Itís all about the tune. A well tuned bullet to barrel twist will spin truer than a bullet that doesnít match the twist rate and then yaws.
    Then again, itís about the backer on the frame and humidity in the paper and, and, and.
    So it's all about the wobble? I bought some of the Hornadys with the idea of using them on game, but others have said that they're overly destructive so I opted not to use them. I was zeroing in a new scope yesterday so I thought I'd use the Hornadys for that. Just noticed that the holes in the paper were bigger and sloppier. FWIW the Hodgdon loading data for IMR4831 for these bullet weights in a 6.5-06 seems screwy. I'm using 6.5 grains over their max of 47.0 with little sign of pressure. Upon inquiry, they re-affirmed their pressure readings, but neglected to mention charge weights. My numbers are in line with those for a .270 using 130 grain bullets which you'd expect to be close to my loads.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 09-17-2019 at 01:37 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    I'm aware of that, but since they load at a rate of several hundred rounds per minute IIRC they have to use something that meters fairly well.
    Vibration works well to keep volume metering uniform.

    Ever seen one of those high speed machines in operation?

    You need hearing protection.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Carrollton Mo.
    Posts
    360

    L.c.

    I remember at L.C. they had a high speed on 5.56 it ran so fast it made a whine noise. When it started screwin up they couldn't get it shut down before you had buggies of scrap. I worked in an old fashion ww2 style building. We made ammo the old fashioned way. Doug

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas (West Texas)
    Posts
    1,585
    I was at my gun club's range and I saw something like this happen to a friend of mine a long time ago. He was shooting some ammo that he let his teen aged boys had loaded for him in his new wildcat 25-06 improved. He thought he had 60 grains of H4831, which was a strong load, behind a 100 grain bullet but it turns out that the kids had used the wrong powder. They had used 60 grains of 4198 powder that was meant for his 222 Remington. The only thing that could be salvaged from the wreak was his trigger. It was very loud and pieces of his stock went every where. He had some splinter cuts on his face. It was lucky that no one was seriously hurt. To this day he believes the strength of his Mauser action saved him and he may be right.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,455
    Holeey Kowww......

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Holeey Kowww......
    Thanks Harry.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Carrollton Mo.
    Posts
    360

    Harry

    Im showin my age now but I remember when Harry used to broadcast cardinal games.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    Im showin my age now but I remember when Harry used to broadcast cardinal games.
    Me too also as well. It's a high fly ball to the infield; that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth.


    Holeyyyyyy Cowwwwwwwww; when is that alimony gonna stop?

    My dearest Harry "till death do us part".

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Carrollton Mo.
    Posts
    360
    The more ice cold Budweisers he had the better it got.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    The more ice cold Budweisers he had the better it got.
    Beer Goggles are a real thing.
    Women look better also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •