Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner construction?

Tuner construction?

Since Ive looked and cant seem to find any centerfire tuners that are available in Canada does anyone know of anywhere I can get pictures of how some of the centerfire tuners are built ?

The only tuner Ive ever used is a harrels rimfire tuner. With the centerfire tuners is the there a collar or anything that is fixed in place on the barrel that never moves or is the whole tuner moved in or out when adjusted?

Scott Hamilton of Fudd tuner fame makes a great centerfire tuner.

At 10oz it will tune any tunable barrel.

fuddham@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    Scott Hamilton of Fudd tuner fame makes a great centerfire tuner.

At 10oz it will tune any tunable barrel.

fuddham@aol.com

Scott Hamilton's in Canada?

Here is mine. One has a rubber lined marine bearing pressed on the tuner body, the other has a piece of hard rubber pressed on. These act as a vibration dampener.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1568061314

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1568061490

It's a one piece design, it clamps directly to the barrel byway of a .900 36 TPI. The two 6-32 socket head screws secure it.

To make it, take a pice of 1 3/4 aluminum, machine the body and drill and bore it to about .025 inch of the minor thread diameter. The body is 1.155 inch. With a hacksaw, put a slit about 3/4 inch down the body. Put the tuner in a mill, countersink for the pinch bolts, drill through the top half with clearance for a 8/32 screw, then drill and tap the lower. Install the screws, then chuck the tuner back up and thread the ID to .900 36tpi.
    Press a 1 1/8 ID marine cutless bearing onto body.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352381907642?...SABEgJE4fD_BwE

To get the desired weight, Machine the brass shell of the bearing to the desired thickness after you attach it to the barrel. (Or Machine a mandrel). My tuners come out to about 5 ounces.

There are multitudes of tuners out there. Some are two piece, some one piece, some have a snubber feature like mine, others don't.

The only two tuners I have personal knowledge of and know they work is the Buky's and the Ezwell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	22875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	22874  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 09-09-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Here is mine. One has a rubber lined marine bearing pressed on the tuner body, the other has a piece of hard rubber pressed on. These act as a vibration dampener.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1568061314

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1568061490

It's a one piece design, it clamps directly to the barrel byway of a .900 36 TPI. The two 6-32 socket head screws secure it.

To make it, take a pice of 1 3/4 aluminum, machine the body and drill and bore it to about .025 inch of the minor thread diameter. The body is 1.155 inch. With a hacksaw, put a slit about 3/4 inch down the body. Put the tuner in a mill, countersink for the pinch bolts, drill through the top half with clearance for a 8/32 screw, then drill and tap the lower. Install the screws, then chuck the tuner back up and thread the ID to .900 36tpi.
    Press a 1 1/8 ID marine cutless bearing onto body.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352381907642?...SABEgJE4fD_BwE

To get the desired weight, Machine the brass shell of the bearing to the desired thickness after you attach it to the barrel. (Or Machine a mandrel). My tuners come out to about 5 ounces.

There are multitudes of tuners out there. Some are two piece, some one piece, some have a snubber feature like mine, others don't.

The only two tuners I have personal knowledge of and know they work is the Buky's and the Ezwell.
    Thanks Jackie---Mike Ezwell (sp)

The newer Beggs tuner

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Since Ive looked and cant seem to find any centerfire tuners that are available in Canada does anyone know of anywhere I can get pictures of how some of the centerfire tuners are built ?

The only tuner Ive ever used is a harrels rimfire tuner. With the centerfire tuners is the there a collar or anything that is fixed in place on the barrel that never moves or is the whole tuner moved in or out when adjusted?
    is knurled on the outside now and has a scribed scale on the rear of it to aid in adjustment. It comes with a thin rubber washer to fit between the two threaded halved. It weighs about 4 oz. A friend has one and is using it without the rubber washer and is able to easily keep his HV barrel in tune with it. He has won several IBS Score aggs. this season using it. Simplicity at it's finest is my opinion of the tuner. I've watched him tune with it a couple of times this summer, easy peasy I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    is knurled on the outside now and has a scribed scale on the rear of it to aid in adjustment. It comes with a thin rubber washer to fit between the two threaded halved. It weighs about 4 oz. A friend has one and is using it without the rubber washer and is able to easily keep his HV barrel in tune with it. He has won several IBS Score aggs. this season using it. Simplicity at it's finest is my opinion of the tuner. I've watched him tune with it a couple of times this summer, easy peasy I thought.
    fun to play with different "stuff" in between........ PTFE and UHMW come to mind. And a brass washer has interesting properties.

And tapping a setscrew into one half is an option
    Last edited by alinwa; 09-11-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    fun to play with different "stuff" in between........ PTFE and UHMW come to mind. And a brass washer has interesting properties.

And tapping a setscrew into one half is an option

It is the mass that alters the location of the barrel vibration nodes.

This is one place you are looking for mass.

So basically its just a weight that can be adjusted to different location?

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    So basically its just a weight that can be adjusted to different location?
    Yep.

It doesn't take much

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    It is the mass that alters the location of the barrel vibration nodes.

This is one place you are looking for mass.
    if 4oz will tune a HV barrel, and it seems to, not much weight is needed.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    if 4oz will tune a HV barrel, and it seems to, not much weight is needed.

Pete
    LOL!

It's like bangin' yer bean against a boulder, this one. There are a bunch of rabid believers here who feel "weight is everything" with no appreciation for nor thought of configuration. Like "how it's shaped don't matter!" it just needs to be the magic WEIGHT!

Offsets? "nawwww"

Diameters? "nawww"

Weight? Caliber? Discipline? "nawwww"

Fore? Aft? Below the bore? Above the bore? Abaft the beam?, "nawwwww. totally irrelevant!"

It's like The Age Old Question.... is the answer to everything 21 3/4? .....Or 42?..... I've learned to just answer "YES!"

4 to 5 oz

is all you need to tune a typical LV-HV bag gun. The Beggs and Loker tuner are very simple in design, easy to install, no POI change with movement, no patches laying in the tuner after cleaning.
    I will go to 8 oz on a UL bbl.

Richard

I saw a tuner

on an unlimited Rimfire Rifle that weighed 37 lbs. Did it work? yes. He asked me to shoot the rifle. I did and threw a shot. He said, "don't touch anything but the trigger". I only touched the trigger for the second shot and it went where it was suppose to. Touchy outfit, that one. Me, I'd rather have less weight and be able to touch the rifle but all of em work. cant bring the fellow's name to mind right now but he holds an indoor record with that rifle.

Pete