Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ball micrometers?

Ayah!

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I be BET'cha Pete hain't fired an un-turned neck in twenny-thurdy years lol......

Me point was

a vernier will tell ya everything a ball mic will.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post

P
    Never seen a ball mike that was vernier.

Using a caliper of any type will not produce accurate
    thickness measurements on a curved surface.
    How wide is that flat on the jaw?

You could try to calculate the error based on the radius
    of the curve and the width of the contact area.

The face of the caliper is not zero thickness.

When you are concerned with 1/10,000 variations around a small
    cylinder like a case mouth ball and rod anvil are required.

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    Never seen a ball mike that was vernier.

Using a caliper of any type will not produce accurate
    thickness measurements on a curved surface.
    How wide is that flat on the jaw?

You could try to calculate the error based on the radius
    of the curve and the width of the contact area.

The face of the caliper is not zero thickness.

When you are concerned with 1/10,000 variations around a small
    cylinder like a case mouth ball and rod anvil are required.
    ^^^^this.^^^^

P
    Not even close

Close enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Not even close
    with measuring rounds loaded with bullets in them, one, if they have a pumpkin turner, only needs to get close. Even if one does cases on a lathe, one is pretty much only concerned with what the o.d. of the case with a bullet in it. That's what I think anyway. With 600 finished cases, I don't turn many now a day.

I just now went in to my gun room and measured a finished case with both a Ball Mic and my Lyman vernier, they both said .009". Not even close you say? Very close I'd say.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 09-25-2019 at 01:04 PM.

with measuring rounds loaded with bullets in them, one, if they have a pumpkin turner, only needs to get close. Even if one does cases on a lathe, one is pretty much only concerned with what the o.d. of the case with a bullet in it. That's what I think anyway. With 600 finished cases, I don't turn many now a day.

I just now went in to my gun room and measured a finished case with both a Ball Mic and my Lyman vernier, they both said .009". Not even close you say? Very close I'd say.

Pete

Chuckle chuckle chuckle

Pete
    Good job!

For comparison I measured a neck with my Mitutoyo ball mic at .010. I then picked up my new Mitutoyo Digimatic calipers. I found if I really bared down on them it would measure .0105. I have found over the years that you could get the measurement that you want by cranking down on the thimble a little harder if necessary.

Always take two or three readings with your eyes closed. Whether using Ball micrometer, caliper or standard micrometer.

Chet

Bottom line, when measuring to .0001's(tenths), calipers are simply the wrong tool for the job, period.

So,

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Bottom line, when measuring to .0001's(tenths), calipers are simply the wrong tool for the job, period.
    how does one hold tenths with a neck turning tool? Bordering on the absurd here, we are now.

Pete

how does one hold tenths with a neck turning tool? Bordering on the absurd here, we are now.

Pete
    Evidently you've never seen or used a Pumpkin, a TJ, or Stiller.

Tenths

Not trying to be argumentative here BUT..... seriously?

I have the tools mentioned plus Time Prec, K&M, Sinclair et al... and they have pros and cons but I can get ALL of them to cut outsides to tolerances I can't easily detect. Like I have to be careful how I hold/handle the cases...... but TENTHS in thickness using anvils and balls?

Exactly how are y'all's smoothing the insides? How exactly are you removing the hideous wrinkly CRUST on the inside of new brass? I've got inside reamers, ie "chucking reamers" in tenths sizes..... I've got LE Wilson (odd # flutes) and Forster (even # flutes) and PTG (staggered flutes) and even some spiral fluted ones as well as the K&M end-cut-only setups.

I've single-pointed the insides on the lathe......

After mandrelling, "blowing out" with pistol powder, 'spander balling, hydro-forming.....

And IMO this whole thing is freakin' SILLY Get yer runout down into the "fractions of tenths"..... then open clearances up to 3 thou cuz, "Thin To Win"....

For WHAT? "guiding means?" . . . . "consistent release?" . . . . "consistent seating pressure?"

But hey.... that's just me. Once I figgered out how to easily and repeatably get my ES down into single digits I kinda' moved on to other items.

Life Is Short

LOL

al

edited to add..... My Jackson is of course a copy. Because I'm a youngster, and a hack. Never knew the man

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative here BUT..... seriously?

I have the tools mentioned plus Time Prec, K&M, Sinclair et al... and they have pros and cons but I can get ALL of them to cut outsides to tolerances I can't easily detect. Like I have to be careful how I hold/handle the cases...... but TENTHS in thickness using anvils and balls?

Exactly how are y'all's smoothing the insides? How exactly are you removing the hideous wrinkly CRUST on the inside of new brass? I've got inside reamers, ie "chucking reamers" in tenths sizes..... I've got LE Wilson (odd # flutes) and Forster (even # flutes) and PTG (staggered flutes) and even some spiral fluted ones as well as the K&M end-cut-only setups.

I've single-pointed the insides on the lathe......

After mandrelling, "blowing out" with pistol powder, 'spander balling, hydro-forming.....

And IMO this whole thing is freakin' SILLY Get yer runout down into the "fractions of tenths"..... then open clearances up to 3 thou cuz, "Thin To Win"....

For WHAT? "guiding means?" . . . . "consistent release?" . . . . "consistent seating pressure?"

But hey.... that's just me. Once I figgered out how to easily and repeatably get my ES down into single digits I kinda' moved on to other items.

Life Is Short

LOL

al

edited to add..... My Jackson is of course a copy. Because I'm a youngster, and a hack. Never knew the man

It is rather easy yo adjust most neck turning tools in 'tenths.'

And an error of even one thousandth on a neck that is 0.0100 thick is getting up there.

I shoot with a 'clearance' of only 0.0020 on the diameter of my chamber.
    So 0.0010 all around.

And each has been cast and measured to a tenth.