Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning my 6PPC equipment, need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by WyleWD View Post
    Excellent advice has been given to you, especially Kyle's and those recommending wind flags.

All I'd add (from one new guy to another) is to buy the absolute BEST scope you can possibly afford that fits the discipline and any weight restrictions there may be. And while you're making the rounds at the range look through as many as you can. A wise and seasoned shooter once told me that the most expensive mistake you can make is buying a cheap scope that won't hold zero and has poor visibility through it. I've found that to be exactly correct. JME. And good luck in your endeavor to get into the 6ppc game. It's frustrating at times, but extremely fulfilling when it all comes together. (Trust me) ;-) WD
    The most expensive mistake you can make is buying a high dollar scope that won't hold zero. Just because something cost a lot is no guarantee it is suitable for short range Group or Score.

Three seasons ago I wasted a lot of good bullets on a line of scopes that were notorious for not settling in after an adjustment and suddenly moving the POI a quarter inch half way through a target. These were scopes from one of the best known and respected manufacturers.

I sold all three off at a huge discount and went to a model that seems to be holding up very well.

And.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    The most expensive mistake you can make is buying a high dollar scope that won't hold zero. Just because something cost a lot is no guarantee it is suitable for short range Group or Score.

Three seasons ago I wasted a lot of good bullets on a line of scopes that were notorious for not settling in after an adjustment and suddenly moving the POI a quarter inch half way through a target. These were scopes from one of the best known and respected manufacturers.

I sold all three off at a huge discount and went to a model that seems to be holding up very well.
    Excellent point Jackie! Your experience probably made you realize it was a scope issue. A novice might spend lots of time and resources trying to find the issue and lose confidence in shooting ability. Again, good point. Thank you for pointing that out. WD

[QUOTE=sgt_jamez;827170]
    Quote Originally Posted by wfcustom View Post

Greg,

I do believe my friend Nick and I met you. I would love to take you up on the offer of using an actual BR rifle. It would be awesome if someone had a donor rifle for me to use. Overwhelmingly the responses I've gotten here tell me that I'd be blowing it to try to build my own rifle. The tinkerer in me hates the idea of buying used, but I did ask for advice. I should definitely listen to what I am being told. I'll admit, that's a hard pill for me to swallow. But I do want a "real" BR gun. I don't need a $4,000 aneurysm! I will be in contact to sign up for the VFS match (is that varmint for score? not familiar with that). This is definitely a case of not hearing what I thought I would. Thank you everyone who has taken the time and care to respond. I will definitely hold off on trying to build and I will see what comes from going back to Range 11! Thank you all!

Sgt Jamez
    Jim,
    If you would send Dan an a e-mail (cabenchrest@gmail.com) with your e-mail address and ask him to add you to the local BR drip.
    This will get you the registration reminder notifications that we send out the week (usually) before the match. He will also send you the schedule and forms.
    I will make a note that you will be attending the VFS (Varmint for Score) match on the 6th of Oct, please verify with me the week prior.
    I will bring my 6PPC HV rifle and enough rounds to get you through the match, I shoot a 30 BR in score so won't be using it at that match.
    I think that holding off on the build until you discuss, use, see, touch, some rifles is a smart decision.
    There will be plenty of time for "tinkering" later, as Jackie, Alinwa, and others have pointed out its what we do!
    And +1 on a known quality scope.
    Greg

[QUOTE=sgt_jamez;827170]
    Quote Originally Posted by wfcustom View Post

Greg,

I do believe my friend Nick and I met you. I would love to take you up on the offer of using an actual BR rifle. It would be awesome if someone had a donor rifle for me to use. Overwhelmingly the responses I've gotten here tell me that I'd be blowing it to try to build my own rifle. The tinkerer in me hates the idea of buying used, but I did ask for advice. I should definitely listen to what I am being told. I'll admit, that's a hard pill for me to swallow. But I do want a "real" BR gun. I don't need a $4,000 aneurysm! I will be in contact to sign up for the VFS match (is that varmint for score? not familiar with that). This is definitely a case of not hearing what I thought I would. Thank you everyone who has taken the time and care to respond. I will definitely hold off on trying to build and I will see what comes from going back to Range 11! Thank you all!

Sgt Jamez
    Sarge, you've had a lot of good advise, but what makes me think that you are ahead of most is you are grateful the suggestions and willing to put your ego on the back burner.
    Good luck and it is great to have you.

BTW Sarge..... can I use "$4000.00 aneurism?" I mean, FOR ME, I've just got so many places...... I mean I could REALLY use it.......a lot