Thread: Mark 4 LRT 16 power fixed ( TMR Reticle)

Mark 4 LRT 16 power fixed ( TMR Reticle)

What are Your thoughts on Leupold Mark 4 LRT 16 power fixed? Plusses , minuses, etc. Thanks.

Plusses:
    • Overbuilt. Originally built for .50 BMG shooting (SEAL Team contract). One remark often made about these units is the can be used to drive nails - Leupold may actually have done so in an advertising campaign;
    • Large elevation range. Lots of room to get rifle zeroed, leaves windage available at higher elevations;
    • No magnification selector. One less thing to go wrong.

Minuses:
    • Insufficient magnification. Personal experience (prone shooting, not F-Class) is 16x is low for a target scope. Am not sure you would like it for F-class. Leupold does not boost these scopes, and no longer warrantees boosted scopes;
    • Overbuilt construction. Due to the need to withstand .50 BMG recoil, lenses are reportedly glued in place. Leupold's lifetime warranty may not apply to this model due to the glued-in lenses;
    • Scope is discontinued. Hard to buy a new scope.

Think you would be better served with a optic equipped with a magnification between 20 to 25x. (Odds are, this range will be used more often than a 16x.) Leupold sells a 6.5-20x scope (VX-3i Side Focus CDS) which might suit your needs better, and their 24 to 25x scopes aren't bad either. Other scope manufacturers also sell suitable scopes.

DISCLAIMER
    I am not a Leupold employee, and am not subsidized by them in any form. I do own (and compete with) several Leupold scopes, including one of the Mk 4 LRTs.
    Last edited by Asa Yam; 09-05-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa Yam View Post
    Plusses:
    • Overbuilt. Originally built for .50 BMG shooting (SEAL Team contract). One remark often made about these units is the can be used to drive nails - Leupold may actually have done so in an advertising campaign;
    • Large elevation range. Lots of room to get rifle zeroed, leaves windage available at higher elevations;
    • No magnification selector. One less thing to go wrong.

Minuses:
    • Insufficient magnification. Personal experience (prone shooting, not F-Class) is 16x is low for a target scope. Am not sure you would like it for F-class. Leupold does not boost these scopes, and no longer warrantees boosted scopes;
    • Overbuilt construction. Due to the need to withstand .50 BMG recoil, lenses are reportedly glued in place. Leupold's lifetime warranty may not apply to this model due to the glued-in lenses;
    • Scope is discontinued. Hard to buy a new scope.

Think you would be better served with a optic equipped with a magnification between 20 to 25x. (Odds are, this range will be used more often than a 16x.) Leupold sells a 6.5-20x scope (VX-3i Side Focus CDS) which might suit your needs better, and their 24 to 25x scopes aren't bad either. Other scope manufacturers also sell suitable scopes.

DISCLAIMER
    I am not a Leupold employee, and am not subsidized by them in any form. I do own (and compete with) several Leupold scopes, including one of the Mk 4 LRTs.
    Thank You. Other than 50 BMG, what type of shooting , what type of rile would Mark 4 16 power complement well?

16X Mark 4

Quote Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
    Thank You. Other than 50 BMG, what type of shooting , what type of rile would Mark 4 16 power complement well?
    I used one for two years at the Montana 1000 yard Benchrest shoots and did very well with it. 70 minutes of up, 70 minutes of down for a total of 140 minutes. You will not need a tapered base with this scope, and it keeps the reticle close to the center of the lens. There were a number of these scopes being used at the Montana shoots in the heavy recoiling cartridges. They are as Asa said, bulletproof scopes.
    More power is nice, but in a fixed higher power scope, it can be a problem with mirage.

Should you decide you need one, I have one for sale since I no longer shoot 1000 yard BR.

16x mark 4 leupold scope

Quote Originally Posted by lngrng View Post
    I used one for two years at the Montana 1000 yard Benchrest shoots and did very well with it. 70 minutes of up, 70 minutes of down for a total of 140 minutes. You will not need a tapered base with this scope, and it keeps the reticle close to the center of the lens. There were a number of these scopes being used at the Montana shoots in the heavy recoiling cartridges. They are as Asa said, bulletproof scopes.
    More power is nice, but in a fixed higher power scope, it can be a problem with mirage.

Should you decide you need one, I have one for sale since I no longer shoot 1000 yard BR.
    Need to add.....Ackerman can still bump these scopes to 24x.