Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: A Gun Safety Reminder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    848

    A Gun Safety Reminder

    Recently, I heard from someone who mishandled a gun -- with unpleasant consequences. I thought a safety reminder might be worthwhile. So, here goes:

    Regarding guns in the house:

    1. Donít keep a gun loaded (you can get a pump-action shotgun loaded faster than you read this sentence).
    2. Donít pull the trigger without looking at the chamber to be SURE itís not loaded.
    3. Donít hand/accept a gun to/from anyone without looking at the chamber to be SURE itís not loaded.
    4. Donít point a gun at anyone (including yourself) Ė ever.

    Feel free to add to the above list.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    California...unfortunately
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Recently, I heard from someone who mishandled a gun -- with unpleasant consequences. I thought a safety reminder might be worthwhile. So, here goes:

    Regarding guns in the house:

    1. Donít keep a gun loaded (you can get a pump-action shotgun loaded faster than you read this sentence).
    2. Donít pull the trigger without looking at the chamber to be SURE itís not loaded.
    3. Donít hand/accept a gun to/from anyone without looking at the chamber to be SURE itís not loaded.
    4. Donít point a gun at anyone (including yourself) Ė ever.

    Feel free to add to the above list.
    Good advice, but I'll add a couple caveats.

    In re: #1, I think whether or not you keep a loaded gun in your house is dependent on your individual situation, not a hard and fast rule. If you have children in the house, I think it's a great idea, but you should ensure that you've trained yourself to the point where racking the slide upon bring the gun into action is second nature (thinking semi-auto). I shot with some Israeli Special Forces guys a few years back and they carry with empty chambers in their sidearms and their Tavors (they will carry chambered dependent on the situation, though), but they train for it extensively and can do it FAST! You should also know how to chamber a round with one hand.

    I agree with you on the shotgun, and that is how law enforcement carries them in their patrol units (cruiser carry). And the sound of a pump shotgun being racked is a HUGE dissuader to those with less than polite intentions.

    For #4, I think Col. Cooper's "Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy" is a better way of looking at it.

    Col. Cooper's 4 basic rules of gun safety pretty much says it all.

    Justin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    585
    i do not take the gas out of my car when i park it,
    i do not empty hand guns/rifles/shotguns used for home defense.
    you do what ever you want

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    277

    Why?

    Is this thread relevant to the BR community?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Harren View Post
    Is this thread relevant to the BR community?
    Because I care about the BR community and it is not immune to accidents.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Because I care about the BR community and it is not immune to accidents.
    Exactly! ^^^

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,651

    General Discussion section

    topic gun safety, certainly relevant to me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,250

    Gun Safety

    Look at the statistics on accidental shootings. A form letter, with gun safety rules should be mailed to every household in the Country.


    Glenn

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas (West Texas)
    Posts
    1,583

    This is a very good thread

    We use our guns so often that we can forget these things can be quite deadly!!!

    We have all seen holes in our canopies. Most of these were accidents.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,484
    If you are at the range, and for what ever reason have to stick a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end, (removing a stuck bullet comes to mind), DOUBLE CHECK! AND TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE IT!

    The results of not removing it will be disastrous.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,335
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    If you are at the range, and for what ever reason have to stick a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end, (removing a stuck bullet comes to mind), DOUBLE CHECK! AND TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE IT!

    The results of not removing it will be disastrous.
    Not always. An acquaintance propelled a .22 rod downrange with a 63 grainer in a .223.

    He swore his gunsmith to secrecy after he had the rig checked out. I was about the 10th call the smith made that morning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •