Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNSMITH question

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Did the OP ever go back to the range and shoot both rifles without the suppressor.?
    Thatís the first thing I would have tried. But Iím not a gunsmith.

Its all about weight

Perhaps, and Ill bet if you were move those weights either fore or aft, you would again find accuracy. Tuners are basically weights and that how they work, moving them fore and aft. It doesn't take much movement to make a world of difference, like a few thousands.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Perhaps, and Ill bet if you were move those weights either fore or aft, you would again find accuracy. Tuners are basically weights and that how they work, moving them fore and aft. It doesn't take much movement to make a world of difference, like a few thousands.

Pete
    Mass added to the end of the barrel moves the vibration node around.

By placing the node exactly at the muzzle their is reduced
    movement of the barrel (nearly none) as the bullet exits.

The weight must often extend out past the actual muzzle to get the node at the correct spot.

goin' get me some popcorn now.....

Quote Originally Posted by ronemus View Post
    Threading the barrel involves reducing the muzzle diameter. That has been shown to produce a slight increase of the bore diameter at the muzzle - essentially making a miniature blunderbuss. Lapping the bore after threading the muzzle can overcome this, but it takes some skill. If the rifle won't shoot without the silencer, then this is a likely candidate even though "the crown wasn't touched."
    If the bore diameter is increased, how will lapping it help?

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    If the bore diameter is increased, how will lapping it help?
    Thatís my question. Making a the entire bore larger to match the muzzle seems counterproductive.

With the thickness of the OPs barrels, I have a hard time believing the bore diameter would grow unless turned waaaaay down. Any numbers I could see from real measurements??

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    O.K. two different rifles , two different barrels , two different triggers, if you can or know someone with a set of deltronic pins or a good set of chamber bushings see if muzzle didn't open up when turned and threaded.
    Couldn't agree more, George. -Al

P.S. Significant improvements can be done to the Savage ignition. I've done this on three of my own Savages and one owned by a pal. Two with factory barrels and two were customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    With the thickness of the OPs barrels, I have a hard time believing the bore diameter would grow unless turned waaaaay down. Any numbers I could see from real measurements??
    Why would you think that, they can move at an 1 1/4 turning to 1 1/16 ......

Asking for measurements before and after to see how much if any. Iíve never experienced it, but then again, never measured with deltronic pins.

LOL.... thanks George.

al,
    i asked a specific question for a reason
    the rifle with a suppressor and the original ammo still shoots small groups at 200 yards, but the PRESSURE WENT UP.
    YOU PEOPLE HAVE SELECTIVE MEMORY.
    when i went to a new ladder, then the two rifles were acting the same, thus the ignition question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    HONKUSSHPLITTUSCHMEG!!!

That was the sound of Firestone Double Barrel Ale being shot out my nose!

Retired....could you be anymore of a condescending pr!ck?

The charm school line...which was brilliant, by the way...causes me to paraphrase a line from one of my all-time favorite movies, Blazing Saddles...and I apologize, Wilbur...

...Retired...you are this forums leading a$$hole!

Dude...it shoots. You add a suppressor, it doesn't shoot. May I suggest that you don't have ignition issues, rather you have RECOGNITION issues.

There is a metric @ss-ton of knowledge around these parts, generated by official gunsmiths and serious tinkerer's, and they're all eager to help. Unless you come off as an All-Conference butthole...

And good luck with Alinwa...even with my rapier-like wit, I repair to PM's when I wish to quarrel with that cat. Saves me some public humiliation...

Got my popcorn...waiting for the show.

Justin

not yet...because the suppressed rifle still shoots very well with the old/original load, it is just too much pressure with the suppressor added.
    so i shot a new ladder and started over.
    my guess is that since it still shoots the hot load...the bore/crown have not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Did the OP ever go back to the range and shoot both rifles without the suppressor.?

but still ignoring the fact that with the suppressor, the rifle still shoots well, the load is just a little to hot for my tastes.
    i am pretty sure this has been said before.

there really was a reason i asked the question i did.
    i have looked at the stuff people keep talking about...
    what i do not know is the consistency of the savage firing system.

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    Thatís the first thing I would have tried. But Iím not a gunsmith.

so tell me what and how you improved them'
    that was the original qestion

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Couldn't agree more, George. -Al

P.S. Significant improvements can be done to the Savage ignition. I've done this on three of my own Savages and one owned by a pal. Two with factory barrels and two were customs.