Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNSMITH question

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    HONKUSSHPLITTUSCHMEG!!!

That was the sound of Firestone Double Barrel Ale being shot out my nose!

Retired....could you be anymore of a condescending pr!ck?

The charm school line...which was brilliant, by the way...causes me to paraphrase a line from one of my all-time favorite movies, Blazing Saddles...and I apologize, Wilbur...

...Retired...you are this forums leading a$$hole!

Dude...it shoots. You add a suppressor, it doesn't shoot. May I suggest that you don't have ignition issues, rather you have RECOGNITION issues.

There is a metric @ss-ton of knowledge around these parts, generated by official gunsmiths and serious tinkerer's, and they're all eager to help. Unless you come off as an All-Conference butthole...

And good luck with Alinwa...even with my rapier-like wit, I repair to PM's when I wish to quarrel with that cat. Saves me some public humiliation...

Got my popcorn...waiting for the show.

Justin
    BINGO!

I replied with my thoughts on the threading of the two barrels and how it may have caused the issue.. I guess i am not a "real" enough gunsmith either..
    I wont bother replying to any more of his threads..

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by burtona View Post
    If retired only wanted responses from "actual" gunsmiths he should not have posted on an open forum. That's what private messages etc. are for.

For what it's worth, I think some of the most knowledgable people on these forums are NOT "actual gunsmiths"
    Dave
    You know what he means. Donít get your drawers bunched up. If you google search to help, donít answer. If you have experience, throw it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    but if you look at the first thread, not one person addressed my question.
    they were too interested in their own question, not mine.
    if i knew a savage gunsmith i might have asked them, i do not so i made a public appeal...
    which some of you cannot stay away from even with nothing
    TO ADD
    I asked questions in the first thread because things arenít always clear to the outsider. Barrel contour and muzzle thread size was needed to assess.

O.K. two different rifles , two different barrels , two different triggers, if you can or know someone with a set of deltronic pins or a good set of chamber bushings see if muzzle didn't open up when turned and threaded.

Had an edge that went from shooting great to sub par. Cut off the threaded portion, recrowned and problem fixed. Any chance you could cut off the end, recrown and try it again without threads?

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    O.K. two different rifles , two different barrels , two different triggers, if you can or know someone with a set of deltronic pins or a good set of chamber bushings see if muzzle didn't open up when turned and threaded.
    George, you understand, but some??

1 cold barrel
    2 slighly warmed barrel
    3 barrel now quite warm, shot wanders, and that can on the end holds all the heat from the gases right next to the barrel- vs letting them expell as the pill exits. Yes, they expell but not without some dwell time.

But I do not know anything just being a schmuck from the back 40.

button rifled barrels machined after bore formed will increase internal diameter if machined after bore work completed. cut rifled and hammer forged generally do not. Savage used to be all hammer forged, that may have changed. Krieger can be had button or cut. to the best of my limited knowledge.

a bit more thinking- free floated barrel? is still free after shot 2 with the can on?
    Last edited by blades; 08-08-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Kriegers are cut...

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    1 cold barrel
    2 slighly warmed barrel
    3 barrel now quite warm, shot wanders, and that can on the end holds all the heat from the gases right next to the barrel- vs letting them expell as the pill exits. Yes, they expell but not without some dwell time.

But I do not know anything just being a schmuck from the back 40.

button rifled barrels machined after bore formed will increase internal diameter if machined after bore work completed. cut rifled and hammer forged generally do not. Savage used to be all hammer forged, that may have changed. Krieger can be had button or cut. to the best of my limited knowledge.

a bit more thinking- free floated barrel? is still free after shot 2 with the can on?
    Button rifled barrels ARE profiled after the are rifled. The reason they don't increase internally is due to a stress relief process. At least that's the way Hart,Douglas and Shilen do it! Also to the best of my knowledge Savage have used the button process in the past and maybe still do.

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    Kriegers are cut...
    But Krieger does have a Criterion division, same guy runs both

Al,
    I think they have been two separate companies for some time now. Steve Dahlke, who owns Criterion, used to run Kreiger.

Question I remember reading...

Hello everyone, lurker here,
    I remember reading somewhere, that cutting threads at the end of a barrel changed the internal dimensions of the barrel, as in the dimensions from land-to-land.
    For the subject of this post and if my information is accurate, the amount of removal would be nice to know. Was it a 0.750 thread or was is a 0.500 thread muzzle brake?
    On a .900 inch end muzzle, that makes a difference and would affect accuracy.
    Just my 0.02 $ Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    Al,
    I think they have been two separate companies for some time now. Steve Dahlke, who owns Criterion, used to run Kreiger.

Ohhh, you may be right. And they're just still riding in Krieger's wake

https://criterionbarrels.com/about/

I don't see any verbiage proudly proclaiming "in The Year Of Our Lord XXXX Criterion SEPARATED FROM KRIEGER and has been forging on" ........ LOL

Threading the barrel involves reducing the muzzle diameter. That has been shown to produce a slight increase of the bore diameter at the muzzle - essentially making a miniature blunderbuss. Lapping the bore after threading the muzzle can overcome this, but it takes some skill. If the rifle won't shoot without the silencer, then this is a likely candidate even though "the crown wasn't touched."

Did the OP ever go back to the range and shoot both rifles without the suppressor.?