Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chambering: indicate bore before threading and/or before reamer?

A guy named Tubalcain

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Definitely my weakness. I never had any training in a real machine shop. Just learned from watching old gunsmiths. I could use real machine shop training.
    sells a series of Machine Shop Training Videos for not much money. You can find him often on Youtube. He is a retired Shop Teacher and has a couple thousand Youtube videos available, some to buy and some for free. He isn't the only one. There are multiple Shop Practices Youtube videos available for the clicking.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Wow, itís been 10 years since Gary and I did that. I was a young man
    Has your process changed at all in those 10 years?

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Has your process changed at all in those 10 years?

GsT
    Not much. I am still using the same Pratt & Whitney Lathe.

Pete, thanks. I try to watch as many videos as I can when Iím on the road. Tubalcain is one of my favorites.

Jackie, I hear ya.... those years are flying by

They did indeed Fly on by I didn't realize it was already that far back when it was first posted.

Thank you Jackie.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Not much. I am still using the same Pratt & Whitney Lathe.
    I appreciate your sharing your methods some decade ago, as well as your response to my question.

Cheers!

GsT

There are plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Pete, thanks. I try to watch as many videos as I can when Iím on the road. Tubalcain is one of my favorites.

Jackie, I hear ya.... those years are flying by
    of chambering videos as well, The Viper for one and Gordie Gritters for another. Chambering barrels is really pretty easy stuff in the realm of machining, generally. I have done prolly ten now and all of them have shot a lot better than I can. I don't understand why the whole thing is so intimidating to folks and I'm somewhat ham fisted when it comes to machining.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    of chambering videos as well, The Viper for one and Gordie Gritters for another. Chambering barrels is really pretty easy stuff in the realm of machining, generally. I have done prolly ten now and all of them have shot a lot better than I can. I don't understand why the whole thing is so intimidating to folks and I'm somewhat ham fisted when it comes to machining.

Pete
    Thanks. Watched viper and Gordy videos numerous times. Always trying to learn from guys that do things a bit different. My buddy that retired and taught me said the same. He always laughed and said ďI ainít a machinist. Just know how to turn and thread barrels. It isnít hard.Ē You guys are right

Talked to a guy named Alex Wheeler when I was just learning a few years back and he was nice enough to answer a bunch of questions over about an hour conversation. Great guy. Makes high end stuff and he told me, ďdonít worry about most of the bs you hear on the forums. Some guys think theyíre saving the effing world by chambering a rifle.Ē Made me laugh but he stressed simple machining practices.