Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chambering: indicate bore before threading and/or before reamer?

Quote Originally Posted by skeetlee View Post
    I cant seem to figure out how to post pictures bit I've built a chuck that absolutly will not move while machining a barrel. I wish I could share the pics. If someone can help please let me know.
    I use a 3/8 fine thread machine screw that I machined the end for a small magnet and a 3/8 steel bearing. I then place a shoe that I machined for the 3/8 bearing with a 3/8 ball mill between the bearing and barrel. The set up is basically a spider chuck but the balls and shoes allow for the barrel to tumble and they are rick solid.
    Where have you been Lee? I believe Nez, Bamban, showed photos of his set up that is similar or the same as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    No it ain't...... I do it all the time

'Course it DOES require a BR Rifle.

OOPS, yer right..... that WOULD BE HARD

for you
    Very true. I only own long range hunting rifle since thatís my passion. When I can no longer hike the mountains, I might build a 70 lb 7br (still have the reamer, gauges and components) and sit firmly on a bench with my best friends drinking ice tea and complaining about the news of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Very true. I only own long range hunting rifle since thatís my passion. When I can no longer hike the mountains, I might build a 70 lb 7br (still have the reamer, gauges and components) and sit firmly on a bench with my best friends drinking ice tea and complaining about the news of the day.
    Just remember DodgeBoy...... the ignore button is your friend, or at least you SAY repeatedly that it's your friend.... but if you actually would like to make human friends, and show them how i'tis, (or learn how it is) you go ahead and make that thar 70lber and then you taken it on out and shoot it with witnesses, at a match.

It'll reset your clock.

There is N O T H I N G to compare with being thoroughly trounced in the real world to change the way you think of accuracy.

I double-dog-DARE you to go out and shoot with some of them Olde Pharts of whom you speak so disparagingly. "complaining about the news of the day" myass....

I missed this dodge boy guy knocking older gents! Iím offended! Imo, I have learned the most from the older gents in my life that said very few words. You know, the ones that when you asked them about Korea, youíd have to pull stories from them. The guys that didnít offer up any advice unless asked, but when you finally ask, thy have a short sentence that puts everything into light. I love old guys .... and Iím getting there quick.

Shame on that dodgeball guy!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    I missed this dodge boy guy knocking older gents! Iím offended! Imo, I have learned the most from the older gents in my life that said very few words. You know, the ones that when you asked them about Korea, youíd have to pull stories from them. The guys that didnít offer up any advice unless asked, but when you finally ask, thy have a short sentence that puts everything into light. I love old guys .... and Iím getting there quick.

Shame on that dodgeball guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Whereís the real Butch!? Heís never smiled anywhere close to me!

I went to that setup

I cant seem to figure out how to post pictures bit I've built a chuck that absolutly will not move while machining a barrel. I wish I could share the pics. If someone can help please let me know.
    I use a 3/8 fine thread machine screw that I machined the end for a small magnet and a 3/8 steel bearing. I then place a shoe that I machined for the 3/8 bearing with a 3/8 ball mill between the bearing and barrel. The set up is basically a spider chuck but the balls and shoes allow for the barrel to tumble and they are rick solid.
    4 or 5 years ago and wouldn't go back to any other. It allows you to chuck up on the taper of a Rem Varmint coutour with no problems. Straight screws were always a problem on the taper section of a bbl. Your right, it's a rock solid way to hold a bbl.

Richard

If you'd like to email me the pics, I can post them for you and you can comment on them. Send me a PM for my email.

Good shootin'. -Al

Holding jaws

I think this set up is very close to what Skeetlee is using. I made this set up about two years ago. Hold's the barrel stress-free with no movement. Also, have made this same setup for a couple of friends using the Bald Eagle Alum spider

Chet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 BEARING JAWS.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	23108 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holding jaws.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	23109 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 BEARING JAWS.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	23110

Name:	bald eagle 1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	23111 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bald eagle 2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	23112 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bald eagle 3.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	23113

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    I think this set up is very close to what Skeetlee is using. I made this set up about two years ago. Hold's the barrel stress-free with no movement. Also, have made this same setup for a couple of friends using the Bald Eagle Alum spider

Chet

Dude that's just sick! None of my equipment has ever been that clean. It wasn't that clean in the shipping crate.....A guy could set his sammich on that between bites. Even if it's white bread...

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post

Chet

That's more or less what I envisioned with SkeetLee's post, but your execution of the concept is excellent. Nicely done!

GsT

That's just a little

tidbit of what Chet can do. I have seen alot of the dodads that he makes and it's just amazing.

Richard

Another option for those of you who use spiders. Too bad they're not fine thread...

https://www.mcmaster.com/92432A464

Justin

Justin, I see two problems other than the TPI. They have very little area bearing on the barrel and I'm not a fan of the metal in the swivel tips.
    Kinda like the old Porsche rocker arm adjusting screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Justin, I see two problems other than the TPI. They have very little area bearing on the barrel and I'm not a fan of the metal in the swivel tips.
    Kinda like the old Porsche rocker arm adjusting screws.
    Butch,

Not a fan of the metal in the tips, or just not a fan of metal tips?

I used these for a spider I just built for the outboard side of my Emco Super 11. I didn't want steel to steel contact, so I epoxied little brass shim stock discs to the bottom of them. I thought about making little brass press on feet for them, but took the easy way for starters. I think they'll be fine for my application where there isn't any stress put on the barrel via machining ops.

I agree with you on small bearing surface...too small for turning and threading, but one could build feet similar to Chet's for them to increase surface area, but you still gotta deal with the coarse thread.

Chet's setup is slick!

Justin