Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rod for rimfire?

Cleaning rod for rimfire?

Im looking for a new cleaning rod for my 40x .22lr rimfies as the handle on my dewey is to large to clear the stock without bending.

Im am looking at the Boretech rimfire or a pro shot stainless.

Any recommendations ? With the proshot should i go with a .22-.26cal or a 20cal rod?

Thanks

If you are going with a new rod get a longer one to solve the handle/stock issue.
    Dewey does recommend the .20 cal rod for rim fire barrels when using coated rods.

One piece of advice for what itís worth is too stay way from coated rods, especially in the smaller diameter. They have way too much flex when compared to a solid stainless steel. Dewey makes stainless as well as coated as does Pro-Shot. I havenít heard anything about Ivey rods lately.

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    If you are going with a new rod get a longer one to solve the handle/stock issue.
    Dewey does recommend the .20 cal rod for rim fire barrels when using coated rods.
    Im already using there longest rod.

My other problem is with these stocks the cheek area is higher than the bore so I dont think any rod is going to work without taking it out of the stock which I dont want to do.

FBecigneul: I dont think Ivy rods are in business anymore as no one can get ahold of them.

With regard to Dewey and Pro-Shot: Are you using their longest stock rod or have you called about a special order length? I kind of thought that was the scoop on Ivey. Too bad because they made an excellent rod.

I had the same problem with my Dewey rod so I turned down the handle to about 1/2 original thickness. Works much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    My other problem is with these stocks the cheek area is higher than the bore so I don't think any rod is going to work without taking it out of the stock which I dont want to do.
    Could you have the cheek modified with a groove/slot for the rod without upsetting the feel when you're shooting - or are you reluctant to modify the stock?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    Could you have the cheek modified with a groove/slot for the rod without upsetting the feel when you're shooting - or are you reluctant to modify the stock?
    I dont want to modify the stock as it is original . I may bite the bullet and go to a different stock.

Here is a picture showing the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190726_152929.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	22704

Call Pro-Shot and show them that picture. They can solve your problem with a custom rod.

Bill Calfee claimed

Metal rods would harm barrels. Also, a freiend told me he has a friend who runs a testing laboratory and in tests that friend said uncoated rods would harm barrels and coated rods would not and fiberglass rod would not. He also said rod guides were superfluous. Me, i like rod guides but have always used Dewey rods without any damage I could ever see. Doesn't look to me like they have become impregnated with anything but I have no way to test to find anything.

I have tried a lot of different rods over the years and find myself back to Deweys.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Metal rods would harm barrels. Also, a freiend told me he has a friend who runs a testing laboratory and in tests that friend said uncoated rods would harm barrels and coated rods would not and fiberglass rod would not. He also said rod guides were superfluous. Me, i like rod guides but have always used Dewey rods without any damage I could ever see. Doesn't look to me like they have become impregnated with anything but I have no way to test to find anything.

I have tried a lot of different rods over the years and find myself back to Deweys.

Pete
    I would continue using the Dewey if they didn't use that big handle . It doesn't need to be that big. Once I get a new rod I might try and remove the handle on my old Dewey and see how small I can turn it down.

Quote Originally Posted by fx77 View Post
    Ivy rods dont seem to be available any more. They were going to be my first choice.

Did you try this website

and the contact link?

https://ivyrods.com/CleaningRODS.htm

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    I tried contacting him a couple times lately and never received a reply. So have many others.
    Last edited by J.Coe; 08-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.