Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discontinuing using the recoil lug?

Discontinuing using the recoil lug?

I recently bought a Rattler action HBR rifle. It currently has a recoil lug installed. The rifle is chambered for 30 BR. I have had a number of rifles chambered in 30 BR and none of them had a recoil lug, they simply used the rear of the tang as a recoil lug, if you will. Is there any reason I shouldn't discontinue using the recoil lug? I need to save some weight on this rifle and thought this might be a place top do it.

Thanks,

Pete

Use it as is for a while before you start changing things around, Pete, as long as it makes weight now.

I need to shed

a few oz because of the recoil pad I'm gonna have installed. I got arthuritus in my right shoulder I learned this week. Nothing they can do.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    a few oz because of the recoil pad I'm gonna have installed. I got arthuritus in my right shoulder I learned this week. Nothing they can do.

P
    Hang on Pete..... I shoot a lot of Big Thunder and I hate recoil.

I use a strap-on PAST recoil shield on my shoulder, it's better than a recoil pad and you get used to "feeling" the pressure quickly, IMO it doesn't hamper your ability to get into/off the rifle. This way you will have to GAIN weight on the rifle cuz you're gonna' be cutting the buttstock off shorter!

justa'thought

I'll throw in a second on the past strap on recoil pad. I wore one for all the years of score shooting and, though it may not have been the manliest thing on the line, it made shooting a very pleasant experience (I developed a nasty flinch after getting tagged by the scope a few times). I recently switched to the mag shield size from the bigger one, and am very happy with it. You can put it under a t shirt if'n you dont want to have a "bro" or a "manziere" out in public.
    Mike

I've been using one

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Hang on Pete..... I shoot a lot of Big Thunder and I hate recoil.

I use a strap-on PAST recoil shield on my shoulder, it's better than a recoil pad and you get used to "feeling" the pressure quickly, IMO it doesn't hamper your ability to get into/off the rifle. This way you will have to GAIN weight on the rifle cuz you're gonna' be cutting the buttstock off shorter!

justa'thought
    for a number of years now but thanks all the same.

Pete

At my age

Quote Originally Posted by savet06 View Post
    I'll throw in a second on the past strap on recoil pad. I wore one for all the years of score shooting and, though it may not have been the manliest thing on the line, it made shooting a very pleasant experience (I developed a nasty flinch after getting tagged by the scope a few times). I recently switched to the mag shield size from the bigger one, and am very happy with it. You can put it under a t shirt if'n you dont want to have a "bro" or a "manziere" out in public.
    Mike
    my appearance is of little concern to me Michael. I hadn't thought about a bigger one but am now .

Thanks,

Pete

P.S. can you PM me your contact information please? Thanks.

Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by savet06 View Post
    ................... though it may not have been the manliest thing on the line,
    See that's where I just don't care. Never have cared. I always figgered that anyone thinks my "manhood" derives from the way I present myself, that's THEIR problem. It only becomes my problem when I inadvertently mingle with them, thereby causing them to "accept" me.

So I present as un-manly as possible......

I call it My First Line Of Defense Against The Forces Of Dorkness.

I remember when it wasn't manly to wear eyes 'n ears......

what?

I recently bought a Rattler action HBR rifle. It currently has a recoil lug installed. The rifle is chambered for 30 BR. I have had a number of rifles chambered in 30 BR and none of them had a recoil lug, they simply used the rear of the tang as a recoil lug, if you will. Is there any reason I shouldn't discontinue using the recoil lug? I need to save some weight on this rifle and thought this might be a place top do it. Thanks, Pete
    Hi, Pete. Since you'll have to set the barrel back after you remove the lug, I'd opt to work on the muzzle end instead if you need a bit of weight off.

If you're going to make a spacer to compensate for the lug thickness, you're just not going to lose much weight.

I've never liked the action tang beating on the stock for a recoil surface. On a couple that I've had to do this way, a piece of .250 aluminum was inletted into the stock as the recoil surface.

My experience was the HBR guns handle better in the bags with the recoil lug being lower and forward.

For what it's worth.... -Al

Thanks Al

I think I have noticed a choke, so to speak, in the first two inches of the barrel on one of my rifles and not sure about the one I want to set back. I was considering putting a 1" Kickease pad on it and need to shed 7oz. Probably can't do it so am considering now a recoil reducer I can wear. The stock has to be cut for me to be able to shoot this rifle better or more comfortably. Ah, the problems we get ourselves into, eh? I do want to change the chamber to my reamer's chamber though so will have to do something in the back.How much does 2" of cylinder size barrel metal weigh anyway?

Pete

How much does 2" of cylinder size barrel metal weigh anyway? Pete
    A 2" length of 1.250 shank (HBR) and a .308 i.d. figures out to .6539 lb.

http://www.matweb.com/tools/weightcalculator.aspx

Thanks Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    A 2" length of 1.250 shank (HBR) and a .308 i.d. figures out to .6539 lb.

http://www.matweb.com/tools/weightcalculator.aspx
    that is a big help.

Pete

alternative
    do not set it back
    simply add an al spacer where the lug was.
    no rechambering

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    alternative
    do not set it back
    simply add an al spacer where the lug was.
    no rechambering
    I strongly DO NOT recommend an AL spacer because I feel it's way too soft and compressible/deformable to be used between the shouldered barrel abutment and the action face, but I use a lot of steel ones. And Grade 8 barrel nut conversions, for the same application.

Please note that I'm just talkin' out me butt here, I am not a metallurgist in any way shape matter or form but I HAVE deformed even mild steel ones so I _feel_ pretty strongly about the AL

TIFWIW