Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discontinuing using the recoil lug?

al,
    you and i TORQUE BBLS,
    MOST BR SHOOTERS do not, just snug them up.
    i think a hard al alloy would do the trick...6061/7075 ??

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I strongly DO NOT recommend an AL spacer because I feel it's way too soft and compressible/deformable to be used between the shouldered barrel abutment and the action face, but I use a lot of steel ones. And Grade 8 barrel nut conversions, for the same application.

Please note that I'm just talkin' out me butt here, I am not a metallurgist in any way shape matter or form but I HAVE deformed even mild steel ones so I _feel_ pretty strongly about the AL

TIFWIW

Again with my butt.....

"Specific Modulus" of steel is 200 whereas AL is under 70 which IMO means that under uni-directional loading steel is nearly 3X more resistant to deflection than AL which (again IMO) means the joint will only be 1/3 as resistant to movement when using AL instead of SS

Of course even the simplest dissension with this view from someone who can show it differently but with numbers/facts will change my worldview immediately.

I'm neither arguing nor supporting my position, just stating it.

A friend once had a 222 built on a Remington action without a lug. I looked at the tang when I saw the lug was absent and it had a horseshoe nail driven in the laminated stock against the tang.

Reinforcement of the stock at the tang inlet is something I consider mandatory if that area is to be used to absorb the recoil force. Depending on the actions tang shape, I've used round G10, round 7061 and rectangular 7061 with good success. Angling this material through the pistol grip area is a good thing.

You have to take the tang shape into consideration as well so it's not acting as a wedge on the sides and rear corners. A small end mill to relieve the stock corners on a Panda style tang works nicely with at least .020 side clearance on the bedding.

On a bolt in, a front mounted lug is always my first choice.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Reinforcement of the stock at the tang inlet is something I consider mandatory if that area is to be used to absorb the recoil force. Depending on the actions tang shape, I've used round G10, round 7061 and rectangular 7061 with good success. Angling this material through the pistol grip area is a good thing.

You have to take the tang shape into consideration as well so it's not acting as a wedge on the sides and rear corners. A small end mill to relieve the stock corners on a Panda style tang works nicely with at least .020 side clearance on the bedding.

Aaaamen to all above!RG

I decided to keep it

I have to set the barrel back anyway so I can pare off the weight I need to loose easily by doing that. Thanks for the discussion.

Pete

Al,

Do you have a picture of the stock reinforcement you've described above? I'm having trouble picturing it.

Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Al, Do you have a picture of the stock reinforcement you've described above? I'm having trouble picturing it. Thanks, Justin
    It goes right here. I profile the tang end of the material to match the flat of the actions tang.There's about .030 of bedding material between it and the rear of the tang. If you look closely, you'll see where the corners of the tang inlet have been radiused with an end mill.

The angle of the reinforcement depends on the pistol grip area of the stock being done. On this one, it's like this:

Hope this helps. -Al

It goes right here. I profile the tang end of the material to match the flat of the actions tang.There's about .030 of bedding material between it and the rear of the tang. If you look closely, you'll see where the corners of the tang inlet have been radiused with an end mill.

The angle of the reinforcement depends on the pistol grip area of the stock being done. On this one, it's like this:

Hope this helps. -Al
    Al,

Got it. Thank you much!

Justin