Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attaching Sail Tails to wind flags

Best flags I ever shot over, didn't look like anything we're accustomed to seeing at a Benchrest match.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?93541-Brit-Robinson
    Last edited by Chism G; 07-16-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Best flags I ever shot over, didn't look like anything we're accustomed to seeing at a Benchrest match.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?93541-Brit-Robinson
    Lol!Thanks, I enjoyed the story, Glen.

great thread!

Thanks for all so far...

Thanks for the offer Butch but I don't think the tails I have lend themselves to your method due to the pointy end. That said, I was advised to use snap swivels to attach the sail tails because they tend to wind themselves into a pencil in strong winds if not allowed to rotate. So, after a visit to Academy Sports here's a pic of what I came up with. Looks kind of kludgy, but I've never been a master of clever design. Have to take it out into the wind and see what it does. Wait a minute, I have a pedestal fan in my workshop. Could try it out there. It should only be about 98 degrees in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0879.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	22645

Ive got a couple of Grahm flags and was what the advantage of the sail tales over the ones thst come with flags? Also would i need to modify anything to use the sail tales?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    Thanks for the offer Butch but I don't think the tails I have lend themselves to your method due to the pointy end. That said, I was advised to use snap swivels to attach the sail tails because they tend to wind themselves into a pencil in strong winds if not allowed to rotate. So, after a visit to Academy Sports here's a pic of what I came up with. Looks kind of kludgy, but I've never been a master of clever design. Have to take it out into the wind and see what it does. Wait a minute, I have a pedestal fan in my workshop. Could try it out there. It should only be about 98 degrees in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0879.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	22645

Jerry, I thought you were speaking of windflag tails, not fishing tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Jerry, I thought you were speaking of windflag tails, not fishing tackle.
    Well, that's all I could think of for something that swiveled. I guess my desperation is showing.

I actually prefer sail tails not be able to swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    I actually prefer sail tails not be able to swivel.
    Now I'm so confused.

Now I'm so confused.
    I just don't want them spinning around. Sail tails should have the open side on top. I.e...concave on top, convex on bottom, as seen with them standing out horizontally. But whatever makes ya happy. I don't see it making a lot of difference.

I just don't want them spinning around. Sail tails should have the open side on top. I.e...concave on top, convex on bottom, as seen with them standing out horizontally. But whatever makes ya happy. I don't see it making a lot of difference.
    I've only used surveyors tape to this point so I'm just trying to get as many opinions as I can. At this point it probably wouldn't hurt me to have a couple of each set up and see how they look. I'm planning on making new vanes after the Rattlesnake anyway.

I've only used surveyors tape to this point so I'm just trying to get as many opinions as I can. At this point it probably wouldn't hurt me to have a couple of each set up and see how they look. I'm planning on making new vanes after the Rattlesnake anyway.
    They each have their pros and cons. I'm not a fan of surveyor tape but its ok in lighter winds and is what most people use. It maxes out fast and just flutters all over. Pretty much useless at that point.

Sail tails don't move quite as easily but the stay straight and raise and lower like the needle on your gas gauge, linearly. IMO, sail tails are the way to go with my flags. The biggest down side is that they are a bit more trouble to care for. The need to be stored in the tube that they come in. IMHO, they're worth the trouble.

They each have their pros and cons. I'm not a fan of surveyor tape but its ok in lighter winds and is what most people use. It maxes out fast and just flutters all over. Pretty much useless at that point.

Sail tails don't move quite as easily but the stay straight and raise and lower like the needle on your gas gauge, linearly. IMO, sail tails are the way to go with my flags. The biggest down side is that they are a bit more trouble to care for. The need to be stored in the tube that they come in. IMHO, they're worth the trouble.
    +1

I agree with Mike. I can't judge wind very well, but flopping and twisting tails do not tell me anything. As Mike said, there are more than one way to skin the lion.
    Jerry, your pointy ends are not a problem. A scissor will fix that. Bend the end over and super glue it.

Shoot over the Sail tails,Make your own comparison.

Glenn