Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attaching Sail Tails to wind flags

Attaching Sail Tails to wind flags

Just bought a set of sail tails and am wondering about the best way to attach them to my wind flags. Stuff I have been using to attach the tails made out of surveyor tape don't lend themselves to easy removal. Seem to remember someone (Mike Turner?) at the last Raton match had some kind of larger hooks on his tails but I didn't see what his flags looked like. Going through the fishing tackle at Bass Pro didn't really trigger anything for me. Suggestions will be warmly received.

I AM NO PRO
    but i use light fishing line and snap swivels

Doulock snaps

This is what you want, 1" size. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...2.uts?slotId=0
    But from Cabela's you have to buy pack of 72 ea.

Paper Clip

Large Paper Clip

Jerry,Check your PM's

Glenn

It appears that everything suggested allows the tail to twist and turn. I prefer this type attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Lee View Post
    This is what you want, 1" size. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...2.uts?slotId=0
    But from Cabela's you have to buy pack of 72 ea.
    I was using those but a smaller size. Maybe that was my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    It appears that everything suggested allows the tail to twist and turn. I prefer this type attachment.
    Hmmm, verrry interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    Hmmm, verrry interesting.
    Jerry, I may have a few extras.

Very clever and interesting, Butch.
    Iím going to make a few flags later this year and thatís a great way to attach the tails.

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Very clever and interesting, Butch.
    Iím going to make a few flags later this year and thatís a great way to attach the tails.
    Can't take credit for the idea. That is what they use on the Aussie BRT flags.

So now the quandary; do I make a right turn or left turn in the wire at the catch?

With the tails attached, do you re-balance your flags?

I hold my flags horizontal and slide the head until the vane and flag sit horizontal.

This is (hopefully) to remove any bias towards the heavy side if the pivot of the flag is not truly vertical when placed on the ground.

My flags have ball-race bearings so are quite sensitive. I balance them indoors for this reason. All bets are off if it rains though.

* doggie *

[QUOTE=doghunter;825289]With the tails attached, do you re-balance your flags?

I balance my flags without the tails on. This way they come out slightly tail heavy when I attach the tails, and not so twitchy.
    Last edited by J.Coe; 07-16-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Static vs. Dynamic...

[QUOTE=J.Coe;825293]
    Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    With the tails attached, do you re-balance your flags?

I balance my flags without the tails on. This way they come out slightly tail heavy when I attach the tails, and not so twitchy.
    Very good Joe!

Balancing flags indoors gives a good static balance but what we want is for it to be dynamically balanced...i.e., as in use. As wind speed increases, the center of pressure moves forward, particularly with a daisy or pinwheel style flag, due to the area and drag that the surface area of the daisy has. For the flag to be stable, not twitchy, the center of pressure has to stay behind the center of gravity. The problem here is that the wind is always doing something different. Ideally, the flag is perfectly balanced in the wind but that's a moving target. When in doubt, err towards being a tad tail heavy. Tails play a role in the flag being stable by both adding weight and area at the rear.
    My flags come balanced for use with a sail tail for this reason. I balance them to pretty much 50/50 BEFORE adding the tail. This is a very good balance for most conditions we shoot. If it's a tad twitchy, a small adjustment to the pivot point will smooth it out. Moving the pivot 1/8" forward is a pretty big adjustment on my flag. So, if your range typically has 15+mph winds, I would advise this. It really gives up very little performance in lighter winds like this. The keys are light weight and very low friction, particularly side load on the pin. That's why I use small pivot pins and teflon pivot adapter material. I'm kinda a flag geek, you could say, but I have never seen a better flag.