Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning, one patch or two?

Now that I've seen a picture, I realize the brilliance of the adjustability of the two-patch setup. Never would have thunk of it, probably because I wear my brain out all week on computer-geek work and don't have much left over to be dreaming up gun solutions.

Maybe if I'd have stayed a machinist all those years ago and hadn't moved into that nice clean programming job I'd be up there with Al.

A proper jag needs only one patch.

One patch or Two?

Down here in Texas,where we have a lot of seasoned Benchrest shooters,Ive never seen,or heard of any Benchrest shooter, intentionally, use more than one cleaning patch at a time. Not saying that it doesnít happen. Ive seen patches made out of all kinds of material. Saw some made out of some type of paper. Saw some that were cut to size with scissors.

One shooter had a reputation for recycling used cotton patches. He would pick up the used patches, take em home and wash em. I actually saw him pick up the patches. Saw him use the recycled ones at the next match we attended. The washing failed to get out all the blue and black, but I suppose they worked just fine. This fella just kept putting regular whoopings on all us.

My take on the patch thing is ,do whatever rocks your boat. Nothing wrong with a little field expediency. I spend more time, at a match, making sure I primed and charged all my brass.:

Glenn

Well just so you donít feel alone Al, I often use two patches just as you describe. I play with everything from 17ís to 50ís and the two patch method works great when I need a little tighter fit. Usually it is just making sure the bore is spotless after either lapping the bore with lead and abrasives, or after chambering/crowning and installing a new barrel. Donít want any crap in there when the first shots are fired!

Another way to skin the cat! I turned my 6mm jags down to .125 and use 1 3/4" square patches made by Pro Shot. Because of the material Bore Tech patches are to tight. I spear the patches about a 1/4" in from one of the corners. Works slicker than a whistle.

ronsonol can

I mentioned in another thread that Montana Extreme will eat a Ronsonol can.... Well here's a pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190706_213222.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	22617

Now, I say "Montana Extreme"...... this particular eater is the RED stuff as you can see. The brown bottle is the polluted stuff.... it even stained the bottle! And it's got clots in it inside the Ronsonol can. But it sure worked good while it lasted!! 'drip-drip-drip' slick as a whistle. Luckily I didn't trust it so I kept it in a pan, on a shelf, didn't wreck anything.

Montana Extreme comes in red, pee-yellow, lemon yellow and kindofa' clear-grey and changes through the years so I don't know if it ALL eats Ronsonol-can metal but this stuff sure did.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Anyone here ever wrapped a patch around a nylon brush? Ive done this a couple of times and know a couple of guys that do it all the time.
    Done that a time or two but usually use a piercing jag.
    Mort

Quote Originally Posted by martin zuck View Post
    Another way to skin the cat! I turned my 6mm jags down to .125 and use 1 3/4" square patches made by Pro Shot. Because of the material Bore Tech patches are to tight. I spear the patches about a 1/4" in from one of the corners. Works slicker than a whistle.
    Does the 1 3/4 patch have the same tightness no matter where you spear it?

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Does the 1 3/4 patch have the same tightness no matter where you spear it?
    No,you have to spear it in about a 1/4" from one of the corners. Because of the size of the patch there is no problem with complete coverage of the jag or the bore. I never tried to push one thru spearing the middle as I think it would be to tight. As I said earlier the Pro Shot patches work nice, the Bore Tech patches are too tight. The material is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Yes, choosing between one or two patches can be complicated.
    Laffin' here....

Quote Originally Posted by martin zuck View Post
    No,you have to spear it in about a 1/4" from one of the corners. Because of the size of the patch there is no problem with complete coverage of the jag or the bore. I never tried to push one thru spearing the middle as I think it would be to tight. As I said earlier the Pro Shot patches work nice, the Bore Tech patches are too tight. The material is different.
    If I spear a 1 3/4 Pro shot in the middle there's no issue thru a 6.5mm bore. A .25 goes ok too usually.

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    If I spear a 1 3/4 Pro shot in the middle there's no issue thru a 6.5mm bore. A .25 goes ok too usually.

Must be there is just enough difference between 6 & 6.5 bore.

I buy patches from whomever I've got an order with that day

Same with jags...... for instance I just ordered 3 more Wick's yesterday ONLY because I had an order with Benchrite

Plus all my Match guns are set up with a separate cleaning rod/patches etc right in each case

About the time I've got a magical combination of stuff, life steps in.... therefore, for me, every day is a new day in the cleaning process.

All those guys who go thru 3-4 bags of the same brand/size patches per year, and poke 'em all in the same place.....enjoy that luxury

(insert appropriate "Four Yorkshiremen" joke here)

Yorkshiremen

150 of us lived in a shoebox ...in the middle of the road.

Mort.

Hey..I gave it a shot and didn't use a patch.
    Last edited by dmort; 07-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    150 of us lived in a shoebox ...in the middle of the road.

Mort.

Hay..I gave it a shot and didn't use a patch.
    luuuxury, we didn't HAVE a shoebox, we had to live in t'LAKE!

try tell the kids of today that......