Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Kimber 8400 Tactical .308

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5

    Kimber 8400 Tactical .308

    I am looking at a Kimber 8400 Tactical. 308 with factory installed McMillan stock. Look in decent shape . I dont know anything about those guns. Any information would be appreciated. Package ( rifle and scope ) priced at 2500.00 total. Scope is Leupold VX-6. 6-18 power. 30mm

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
    I am looking at a Kimber 8400 Tactical. 308 with factory installed McMillan stock. Look in decent shape . I dont know anything about those guns. Any information would be appreciated. Package ( rifle and scope ) priced at 2500.00 total. Scope is Leupold VX-6. 6-18 power. 30mm

    What's important to you in a gun?



    In my case for instance ACCURACY overrides all else. The only factory action I'll currently consider is Rem700



    So, what's important to you?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    77
    Whats the intent of use? Busting steel gongs or hitting dots?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    208
    With todayís Kimber, Iíd go for it but Iíd ask for a better price. You can almost be sure youíll need a new barrel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,608

    Factory actions

    a bit more affordable than Kimber or Cooper that shoot well, generally, are Sako and Tikka. Tikka makes a tacticool rifle. In a production gun that would be my choice. I have a Tikka T3 hunter model(light weight) that is an honest .6" rifle for 3(I haven't tried more but will at some point) in 6.5x55 SM. Good luck with whatever you get.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    With todayís Kimber, Iíd go for it but Iíd ask for a better price. You can almost be sure youíll need a new barrel.
    Why new barrel? The scope VX6 3-18◊44 is a 2015 model . What would be a decent price for the package?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    208
    Itís a used gun. Do you know itís history? Check for fire cracking in the bore/throat area. It may not need a new barrel.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46
    I've read that Kimber barrel quality has improved. That may be true. I've had two sporter Kimbers, a .308 and a .257 Roberts, both purchased about ten years ago. Each rifle shot reasonably well, but barrels were a bit rough and copper fouled quickly. I still have the .257. I've seen enough 3/4" and even slightly smaller groups with this rifle that I'd call it accurate, but the bore needs scrubbing after about twenty-five rounds to maintain accuracy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,608

    After breaking in the barrel

    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I've read that Kimber barrel quality has improved. That may be true. I've had two sporter Kimbers, a .308 and a .257 Roberts, both purchased about ten years ago. Each rifle shot reasonably well, but barrels were a bit rough and copper fouled quickly. I still have the .257. I've seen enough 3/4" and even slightly smaller groups with this rifle that I'd call it accurate, but the bore needs scrubbing after about twenty-five rounds to maintain accuracy.
    on my T3 Tikka and then shooting 5 three shot groups with different bullets, the barrel cleaned very well with about 5 patches of wipe out, waiting 5 minutes between patches. The nicest factory rifle barreled rifle I own is an old 54J Schultz and Larsen in 7x61 S&H. Second place goes to a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Those barrels clean up like the best benchrest quality barrel I've ever owned. It's all about the effort put into the barrel production and methods. There is no reason, other than cost, why a 26" medium weight hunting rifle barrel can't shoot as clean(lack of copper fouling) as the best benchrest rifle barrel, if the manufacturing methods that almost always guarantee that kind of performance are adhered to.
    Last edited by glp; 07-02-2019 at 09:51 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,114
    Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    on my T3 Tikka and then shooting 5 three shot groups with different bullets, the barrel cleaned very well with about 5 patches of wipe out, waiting 5 minutes between patches. The nicest factory rifle barreled rifle I own is an old 54J Schultz and Larsen in 7x61 S&H. Second place goes to a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Those barrels clean up like the best benchrest quality barrel I've ever owned. It's all about the effort put into the barrel production and methods. There is no reason, other than cost, why a 26" medium weight hunting rifle barrel can't shoot as clean(lack of copper fouling) as the best benchrest rifle barrel, if the manufacturing methods that almost always guarantee that kind of performance are adhered to.

    What does this stuff all mean?

    How are we helping the op?
    Are you saying Kimber uses BR-Grade Match barrels?
    Or that Kimber barrels "are just as good as" Match BR barrels?

    Dude asserts that Kimber barrels "have improved"

    You talk of Tikka's

    and how an antique Schultz and Larsen is "nice"

    and how 2nd best is a Mannlicher Schoenauer but that "those barrels clean up like the best benchrest barrels"


    please elucidate???

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,608

    Holly Molly

    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    What does this stuff all mean?

    How are we helping the op?
    Are you saying Kimber uses BR-Grade Match barrels?
    Or that Kimber barrels "are just as good as" Match BR barrels?

    Dude asserts that Kimber barrels "have improved"

    You talk of Tikka's

    and how an antique Schultz and Larsen is "nice"

    and how 2nd best is a Mannlicher Schoenauer but that "those barrels clean up like the best benchrest barrels"


    please elucidate???
    If I were a Ph.D I couldn't concoct a coherent reply to this one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •