Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuner opinions?

Anyone use a Erik Cortina tuner?

What other ones are still available?

Buckys?

Beggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pag View Post
    Sid made 2 tuners, one was a LV with on a 8.812x32 thread and the one that I have weighs 5.3oz and a HV on a .937x32 thread and all 6 that I own weigh exactly the same at 4.2oz. I've seen Cascarino lose matches because he constantly is turning that thing all around to the point where he got fed up and took it off. He's told me a number of times that he shouldn't have touched it as much as he did. Even the best shooters get used some HARD as they say up here. Well to each is own Pete. I don't like 6X because there are very few shooters to shoot against. If you like shooting against 6 or 7 shooters (that's on a good day) then have at it. My favorite thing to do Pete is to experiment. That's why I have so many rifles in 10 different calibers. I just like shooting different rifles. I'll never be a good shooter like Jarvais because I really don't take this game serious enough. He would never do what I did on Sunday, fireforming new brass at a match. I came in 6th out of 13 which is not that good but I really don't care. I shot the best that I could for that day and it wasn't good enough but I had a good time doing it. I'll always be just a fair shooter at best because I feel that my flag reading ability is just so so. I don't make excuses by saying there was something wrong with the rifle. I know when there's a problem with the rifle like at last years states in Augusta. I shot 38 rounds in the W/U and they were all over the place so I left. Come to find out the mercury recoil reducer in the stock was moving around. I heard one guy Sunday explaining to a bunch of fellow shooters why he did so bad at the CT States. He said his that when this throat wore he's have to put 3 thousands more jam on his bullet but this time it was off by 15 thousands so he said he loaded and went to his local range and put all of them in one hole. This is a story I hear from this shooter often. Well his one hole combo finished behind me. Even though we don't speak to each other anymore I do respect Randy as a shooter and the fact that he doesn't make excuses when he doesn't shoot good. He's one of the very few that will tell u he screwed up and not blame his equipment each and every time.
    Really??!!
    How do you explain this?

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...John-Cascarino!

A friend of mine had a barrel that another person had threaded for one of Mike's tuners but had failed to Machine the straight section that the stabilizing O-ring fits over. I checked the barrel up for him and added that fit.

Mike's tuners are well made and well engineered. I prefer a one piece with a "snubber", but if I did not use my own tuners, I would not hesitate to use Mike's.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    A friend of mine had a barrel that another person had threaded for one of Mike's tuners but had failed to Machine the straight section that the stabilizing O-ring fits over. I checked the barrel up for him and added that fit.

Mike's tuners are well made and well engineered. I prefer a one piece with a "snubber", but if I did not use my own tuners, I would not hesitate to use Mike's.
    Thank you sir! That friend of yours sure has been shooting better of late. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but he has stepped it up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

Got any pictures of your tuners? Are they available anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Got any pictures of your tuners? Are they available anywhere?
    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1561584587

This design uses a rubber marine bearing that has a thin brass shell pressed onto the tuner body. The thread is a .900 diameter 36 tpi.

This is a similiar one that has a piece of hard rubber pressed tight onto the tuner body instead of the marine bearing. I make the hard rubber donut out of rubber from bumpers on tug boats.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1561584892

I build these for myself and several friends. I have no interest in selling them commercially.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	22580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	22581  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 06-26-2019 at 05:41 PM.

New Vineyard, Maine via Milford, Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Really??!!
    How do you explain this?

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...John-Cascarino!
    Really Francis? Are u drinking water from Maine or are you your state's answer to Peter Wass? I've seen John screw up a number of matches because of his tuner. You don't believe me, just ask him he'll tell u the same thing I'm telling you. I told him one day at one of the state matches that he screwed up at 100 because once again he was moving that sucker all around and getting nowhere with it, I said John if I see you messing around with that tuner today the way you did yesterday I'm gonna cut your fingers off. Of course he laughed.
    Last edited by Jim Pag; 06-26-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Jim, sometimes you just have to twist and shout.

New Vineyard, Maine via Milford, Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Jim, sometimes you just have to twist and shout.
    This isn't American Bandstand Francis. LMAO!

Anyone know who sells Buckys tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Anyone know who sells Buckys tuners?
    https://bulletcentral.com/product/bu...-barrel-tuner/

I like Gene’s commentary in that ad. Pretty down to earth.

Far be it from me to criticize someone with Gene Bukys creds. But it has never made sense to me to have a tool to adjust the tune, then lock it down and go back to tuning with powder. Obviously it works for him. Two weeks ago I attended a match and the morning was on the cool side. As is my practice I went pre loaded. As my practice is also to take the sight in period (UBR match) and part of the first relay to check my tune, I fired a couple of three shot groups and determined that I was very badly out of tune. It took two adjustments and several groups before I brought it back in tune. Had I not made the adjustments I would have finished far back in the pack. I doubt I could ever be convinced to lock down my tuners and adjust with the load. But hey, that's just me.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Far be it from me ......... But hey, that's just me.

Rick
    Rick,

have you ever had a setup which shot better with a tuner than with a bare barrel?

tx

al

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Rick,

have you ever had a setup which shot better with a tuner than with a bare barrel?

tx

al
    Al, I'd have to say that they all have shot better with a tuner. But I'll need to qualify that. I only shoot score and I have from day one, gone to matches pre loaded. In many places there is a wide temperature swing from early morning to afternoon. 30º isn't unusual depending on the time of the year. I would frequently be badly out of tune for the first match and come back in as the day warmed. This was with a 30 BR. Since I discovered tuners about ten years ago I have eliminated that problem as long as I have the presence of mind to make tuner adjustments. My current 220 Beggs barrel is the best barrel I've owned, but without the tuner I would be forced to chase the tune with powder adjustments. I know that can be done, but it's not part of my skill set and I can't see why I'd choose it over a simple turn of a tuner. I agree with many that a tuner won't make a barrel shoot any better, but it will make it much easier and faster to find the best tune. Does that answer your question?

Rick