Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uh oh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I don't think anything is wrong with the rifle...just some poor choices of reloads. I'd start anew with brand new factory loads and see what happens. Of course, the very best thing to do is take the rifle to a competent gunsmith to determine if the chamber is "right"....and the barrel has the proper bore size.
    Some were factory loads. The cases that developed gas ports were all F C headstamp.

Older loads and may have been many miles in the glove box or something similar.

Older loads and may have been many miles in the glove box or something similar.
    He had the same result with F C cases that had been through 2 loadings/firings too.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    WHOAHHH!!!!!

Is the busted case in the original pic NEW, UN-FIRED FED FROM THE 90'S as stated in the OP?

Or has this stuff been mutilated by reloading hackers?
    Al, as I stated in my previous post, I had a new unfired Fed .308 168 gn Gold Medal round rupture in my bolt gun last Fall. It had one long rupture similar to what was shown. I called Federal and they looked up the lot and it was 92 0r 95 can't remember which. Anyway, they said they didn't recommend firing any of that ammo more than five years old. I've got 13 boxes left that I'll have to figure out what to do with. I had bought a case of it at that time to have something as a back-up or to use as a standard reference when loading. Guess this is a situation where buying in case lots for that purpose is not economical. Does raise the question of why brass would weaken over time that way.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    Al, as I stated in my previous post, I had a new unfired Fed .308 168 gn Gold Medal round rupture in my bolt gun last Fall. It had one long rupture similar to what was shown. I called Federal and they looked up the lot and it was 92 0r 95 can't remember which. Anyway, they said they didn't recommend firing any of that ammo more than five years old. I've got 13 boxes left that I'll have to figure out what to do with. I had bought a case of it at that time to have something as a back-up or to use as a standard reference when loading. Guess this is a situation where buying in case lots for that purpose is not economical. Does raise the question of why brass would weaken over time that way.
    Maybe it was chit brass to start with. Maybe the powder went funky and corroded the case. Did you ask Federal if they would replace the 13+ boxes of the stuff? Normally they'd or should be glad to get defective stuff out of circulation.

The brass probably didn't "weaken" (don't know this for sure) but rather something else is in play. I pulled some bullets once that were a little more than difficult and they had extreme corrosion where they contacted the case neck.

The brass probably didn't "weaken" (don't know this for sure) but rather something else is in play. I pulled some bullets once that were a little more than difficult and they had extreme corrosion where they contacted the case neck.
    Some sort of acidic lube that remained in the neck maybe? Poorly cleaned and rinsed cases? I know with military ammo that has a sealer applied they advise to seat the bullet a tad deeper to break the seal before pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post
    Did you ask Federal if they would replace the 13+ boxes of the stuff? Normally they'd or should be glad to get defective stuff out of circulation.
    I did ask but Federal declined to replace the remaining ammunition. It does raise the question of what kind of shelf life you should expect from factory ammo, especially "Match".

The OP issue is sticky since if the brass used from the old box had the same [defect] as that used after 2 reloads then the brass used after 2 reloads should have done the same thing after the first firing, no?