Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the latest best

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    I have to both agree and respectfully disagree somewhat. In this test the velocity is a good indicator of the uniformity. I agree there are too many variables in play for the actual groupings to be of much value.
    In reality, there's too many variables for anything to be of much value. I do know this for sure...in the group game, the group size is the only thing that matters. On the other hand, I realize this discussion is not at all about competition group shooting but rather powder weight. If you think powder weight is the end all, by all means get the best "measure" you can afford.

Powder weight

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    In reality, there's too many variables for anything to be of much value. I do know this for sure...in the group game, the group size is the only thing that matters. On the other hand, I realize this discussion is not at all about competition group shooting but rather powder weight. If you think powder weight is the end all, by all means get the best "measure" you can afford.
    is one of the variables. We have the opportunity to control it and a couple more items that will give us the very best chance of achieving the best accuracy possible. One has only to think about the fuel systems of the rockets that propelled out space exploration. Did they hap haphazardly dump into the engines and say this is good enough? Without knowing exactly? I'm guessing it was measured pretty dern closely all weighed and measured. Here we are, with a chance for perfection and yet many are of the good enough mentality. We insist on tiny stack-able error in the machining process of our rifles yet the fuel for them is left up to "Good Enough". Makes no sense.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    is one of the variables. We have the opportunity to control it and a couple more items that will give us the very best chance of achieving the best accuracy possible. One has only to think about the fuel systems of the rockets that propelled out space exploration. Did they hap haphazardly dump into the engines and say this is good enough? Without knowing exactly? I'm guessing it was measured pretty dern closely all weighed and measured. Here we are, with a chance for perfection and yet many are of the good enough mentality. We insist on tiny stack-able error in the machining process of our rifles yet the fuel for them is left up to "Good Enough". Makes no sense.

Pete
    Yeah, that's like the old saying,"why measure with a micrometer if you're going to mark it with a grease pencil and then cut it with an axe".