Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any GOOD 6.5 bullets?

any GOOD 6.5 bullets?

well the title perty much says it....... I've been sucked into chambering some 6.5 CM's and am slightly confused as to how they shoot. I'm used to 22's, 6's and 30's, even 338's where I can always find trustworthy bullets, thereby eliminating them as a variable. I KNOW that if I'm not getting 5-shot groups that are tall roundish holes I've got a problem.

I don't have a feel for how these mainstream Hornady/Nosler/Sierra/Norma/Swift offerings shoot, or actually how they're SUPPOSED to shoot, what to expect. I don't have access to Cauterucio's and currently no Bergers (and don't know how their 6.5 jackets rate)

I'm not getting crisp groups.

Sometimes groups even have air in them.

I do intend to build one for myself to test but just haven't found time.

BiBs

You should try BIBs 135gn

Aside from custom bullets from reputable makers, I find that for competition anymore I only bother with offerings from Berger, Sierra and some speer in .22 caliber.

I have had decent results with nosler 120 hunting ballistic tips. this is out of a 6.5 x 47 Lapua, pencil barrel kreiger. And of course when you push larger than 3 shot groups out of a thin barrel, the groups get bigger.

I have a bunch of Cauterucio's 141's left over from when I was running a 6.5-06imp in 1000br. If you would be interested in them I could cut you a good deal....They always shot great for me. Shoot me a PM if your interested. I will see what I have left. Should be real close to 1k.

Regards
    Rick

142 matchkings

Sierra 142 matchkings shoot the best in my 6.5 cm. Ive shot groups under a half in. with them. Ive decided the worst thing you can ever do is have a B.R. rifle, if your gonna shoot sporters too, then you think everything outta shoot a .250 . The first group is always the best in mine. Then the barrel starts heatin up. There fun to play with. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Reisdorff View Post
    You should try BIBs 135gn
    tx Jerry...... this is the problem with being holed up in my mountain, I HAD NO IDEA Randy made 6.5's....

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    tx Jerry...... this is the problem with being holed up in my mountain, I HAD NO IDEA Randy made 6.5's....
    I had a long wait to get mine. Was worth it.

Al, I have a few boxes of the 135gr BiB's sitting around. I could give you 30 or so to test if you like. Shoot me your mailing info via pm and I can get some to you this week.

Robin Ardoin

Looking for 6'`5

Bill brawand for 6`5 120 gr 1 814 335 0450

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    I find that for competition anymore I only bother with offerings from Berger, Sierra and some speer in .22 caliber.

The step from even Speer to a Berger is often night and day.

Berger's are incredibly uniform in weight and shape.

Years ago one of the BR makers tried to speed up the bullet presses they used.
    The uniformity apparently went to hell.

It takes a little bit of time for even lead to 'flow' under the forming pressure.

It is pretty far from a 'low viscosity' material.
    Solid material be like that.

you mean like berger slowing down with this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	berger bulet press.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	22519  

bullet press
    or
    JACKET press
    looks like jacket buckets to me
    but i am guessing
    Quote Originally Posted by gfpd View Post
    you mean like berger slowing down with this

bullet press

Oh, the pleasure of being simple.

I think a better question would be are there any bad bullets for the 6.5 CM. I have a Browning X Bolt with a wood stock that I bought over a year ago because the beautiful wood stock caught my eye. Although it is a light weight sporter rifle it shoots good three shot 1/2 inch groups with most of the bullets I have tried. I have used Hornady and Sierra. I have used 140 grain and 130 grain with good results and I even tried some discontinued 85 grain Sierra hollow points that looked really ugly and they shot well under one inch with almost the same recoil as my 22/250. I have tried some 100 grain that group as good as any at 100 yards. The key may be that most bullets are very good these days.

I know that this rifle with any bullet will not win first place at a benchrest match. It is not intended for that purpose but I am happy.

Concho Bill