Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action trued

Action trued

I returned the bolt lugs and the locking surface in the action on a old XP100 action . And I inked the lugs and it looks like I did a good job . But now the bolt don't close like it did and I only took a couple thousand off the surface . WHAT DO I DO NEXT ? Do I need to take some off the cocking piece ?

Thanks for any advice , Art

Are the corners (all your 90s) of the bolt lugs polished?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
    I returned the bolt lugs and the locking surface in the action on a old XP100 action . And I inked the lugs and it looks like I did a good job . But now the bolt don't close like it did and I only took a couple thousand off the surface . WHAT DO I DO NEXT ? Do I need to take some off the cocking piece ?

Thanks for any advice , Art
    Without the action in hand there are to many surfaces in play to provide an informed answer.

Just a guess from a million miles away. You changed the distance between the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt lugs. Assuming,which is bad, you had some cock on closing before, you have now reduced the distance the cock on closing movement moves the cocking piece in it's detent on the rear of the bolt. So it would feel different as you start to rotate the bolt.
    Hope that helps but it's still just a guess.

[QUOTE=Dave Tooley;823842]Without the action in hand there are to many surfaces in play to provide an informed answer.

(((((( Just a guess from a million miles away. You changed the distance between the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt lugs. Assuming,which is bad, you had some cock on closing before, you have now reduced the distance the cock on closing movement moves the cocking piece in it's detent on the rear of the bolt. So it would feel different as you start to rotate the bolt.
    Hope that helps but it's still just a guess.[/QU )))))
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Yes I understand that I changed the distance between the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt lugs ( the clean up of both lugs and action was only .010 max ). I don't want to miss with the detent on the rear of the bolt , so can I play with the cocking piece to in increase the distance of the cock on closing ? I can replace the cocking piece easer than a bolt .

Thanks for the reply .
    Last edited by ArtinNC; 05-31-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Are the corners (all your 90s) of the bolt lugs polished?

Yes , I'v done that .

[QUOTE=ArtinNC;823846]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tooley View Post
    Without the action in hand there are to many surfaces in play to provide an informed answer.

(((((( Just a guess from a million miles away. You changed the distance between the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt lugs. Assuming,which is bad, you had some cock on closing before, you have now reduced the distance the cock on closing movement moves the cocking piece in it's detent on the rear of the bolt. So it would feel different as you start to rotate the bolt.
    Hope that helps but it's still just a guess.[/QU )))))
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Yes I understand that I changed the distance between the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt lugs ( the clean up of both lugs and action was only .010 max ). I don't want to miss with the detent on the rear of the bolt , so can I play with the cocking piece to in increase the distance of the cock on closing ? I can replace the cocking piece easer than a bolt .

Thanks for the reply .
    You haven't explained what your problem is.

When I close the bolt it feels like I have a lot more pressure on the lugs ( with the firing pin assembly ) . And I don't want to wear out the lugss just closing the bolt .

When I close the bolt it feels like I have a lot more pressure on the lugs ( with the firing pin assembly ) . And I don't want to wear out the lugss just closing the bolt .
    It's humanly impossible to wear the lugs out without the use of an abrasive. Even then it will function just fine.
    Last edited by Dave Tooley; 05-31-2019 at 02:08 PM.

When fooling with finished actions, always keep in mind that when you remove metal from one criticle surface, it can have a negative affect on another.

Don't fix things that are not broken.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    When fooling with finished actions, always keep in mind that when you remove metal from one criticle surface, it can have a negative affect on another.

Don't fix things that are not broken.

It had one lug that only had a quarter of it touching . Now I have full contact on both lugs. Did that need fixing ? Or did that make any difference ?

It had one lug that only had a quarter of it touching . Now I have full contact on both lugs. Did that need fixing ? Or did that make any difference ?
    As long as both have contact, I would have left the lugs alone. Maybe lapped them with a proper tool to improve the contact a little. But even lapping can give false readings considering the clearance most factory actions exibit between the bolt body and the action.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    As long as both have contact, I would have left the lugs alone. Maybe lapped them with a proper tool to improve the contact a little. But even lapping can give false readings considering the clearance most factory actions exibit between the bolt body and the action.
    That I'll do next tine if there is a next time .

Just me, but .010 is a lot to take off. Generally, I take of enough to make it uniform and call it good. Normally that is <.005 combined for the lugs and abatements. If you have to remove more, recheck your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    Just me, but .010 is a lot to take off. Generally, I take of enough to make it uniform and call it good. Normally that is <.005 combined for the lugs and abatements. If you have to remove more, recheck your setup.
    I believe my set up was fine because only one lug was ok and the other was just touching in one little spot , that is why I had to take off .010 to get them both the same .

I believe my set up was fine because only one lug was ok and the other was just touching in one little spot , that is why I had to take off .010 to get them both the same .

I don't know why I'm getting in here Art but...... REALLY? ....... ya' got's ta' ask yerself, was that lug REALLY ten thou out of square?

I mean .010 is a ski ramp in rifle terms..... like the thickness of a cereal box!