Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic Ear Protection???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wynne View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I ordered a pair of Pro Ears Gold NRR 30 from Amazon after searching what was on the web and they work just great. With my hearing aids out and with ear plugs I could not hear anything. now I can hear clearly the sounds around me, yet the gunshots are muffled at least as much as with the earplugs.

Dave, you were right on.
    THAT looks like a great pair.

I always try to avoid shooting at the last position on indoor ranges against a wall.

It is not to bad with a .22 RF, but a large gun (.45 Win mag in my Wildey) is a no go against the wall.
    The extra noise reflected from the hard surface puts a real premium on ear protection.

If I really must be there, in go the EAR plugs under some 30 dB muffs.

Electronic Ear Protection

I use electronic hearing protection as well as use hearing aids.

I also spent a career designing analog integrated circuits with the last 10 years in the hearing industry.
    I am an Electrical Engineer and I took the graduate program in Audiology so I would understand the hearing process a bit better.

I use Etymotic Research (now Lucid Audio) GSP-15 electronic protection. I use these for a couple reasons, 1. they are analog amplifiers which aid dramatically in maintaining situational awareness where digital protection degrades situational awareness due to delay in the hearing signal that may not be the same in both ears.
    2. The GSP-15, while rated at 26NRR, actually will yield high 30's with careful insertion. Actually, 38 dB which is about as good as any plug will do based on the leakage through the mastoid bone.
    3. The main reason I use these is because I designed the amplifier in them and I am very prejudiced!

There are other electronic protection but most that are as good as GSP-15's are more expensive as well as being poor in situational awareness. The GSP-15 was designed to be used by soldiers and law enforcement where there is a demand for maintaining situational awareness. The GSP-15 has great fidelity due to its Analog amplifier as well. I often drive away from the range and don't realize I am still wearing my protection as they sound so good.

Any questions, give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Normmatzen View Post
    I use electronic hearing protection as well as use hearing aids.

I also spent a career designing analog integrated circuits with the last 10 years in the hearing industry.
    I am an Electrical Engineer and I took the graduate program in Audiology so I would understand the hearing process a bit better.

I use Etymotic Research (now Lucid Audio) GSP-15 electronic protection. I use these for a couple reasons, 1. they are analog amplifiers which aid dramatically in maintaining situational awareness where digital protection degrades situational awareness due to delay in the hearing signal that may not be the same in both ears.
    2. The GSP-15, while rated at 26NRR, actually will yield high 30's with careful insertion. Actually, 38 dB which is about as good as any plug will do based on the leakage through the mastoid bone.
    3. The main reason I use these is because I designed the amplifier in them and I am very prejudiced!

There are other electronic protection but most that are as good as GSP-15's are more expensive as well as being poor in situational awareness. The GSP-15 was designed to be used by soldiers and law enforcement where there is a demand for maintaining situational awareness. The GSP-15 has great fidelity due to its Analog amplifier as well. I often drive away from the range and don't realize I am still wearing my protection as they sound so good.

Any questions, give me a call.
    You are a man who knows something about this subject. We should listen to what you say. Thank you for your input.

I wish I had waited before buying my new ear muffs with amplification. Due to my occupation using power tools and my hobby of shooting I have serious hearing loss. Seriously, earmuffs bother me more than earplugs. In the ear types are less of a problem as I wear in the ear hearing aids all the time. For what I have read, hearing aid batteries are used. They are not expensive and easy to buy at drug stores so that is not a problem for me.