Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduced Loads?

I didn't see this, but I believe it happened as the guy that told it is a trustworthy friend. He was working with a .264 Win Mag. I don't know the powder, primer or make or model of rifle. He related that he was going lower and lower with the powder charge. Nothing bad happened until the top of the receiver blew off at the threads and the barrel went end-over-end down range and stuck in the ground some distance away. Fortunately he was not seriously injured. Ironically, the barrel was the one piece of the rifle that was apparently not harmed much.

Seems like I used reduced loads in my 222Mag PD rifle for fox squirrel hunting in Iowa. Forgot what the charge was but my thoughts were that with the rifle pointed in the air the powder charge would be piled against the flash hole/rear of cartridge.
    Last edited by Dave Coots; 05-24-2019 at 08:09 PM.

You can have that much difference in charge weight between the crusher type pressure tests and the newer more current piezo or strain gauge systems or even between lots of the same mfg and type powder. Not mention what some of those older electronic scales could do to you. even seen new balance beam scales that were off by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    You can have that much difference in charge weight between the crusher type pressure tests and the newer more current piezo or strain gauge systems or even between lots of the same mfg and type powder. Not mention what some of those older electronic scales could do to you. even seen new balance beam scales that were off by that much.
    Bullets are a good enough calibration weight there's no reason for a beam balance to be off since they should have a zero adjust.