Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: salt bath annealing..does not work ?

How is it way to hot?? People use 3000f to anneal for a set amount of time. If only dipping the necks for 5-8 seconds, you arenít over annealing. Temp (500c) is transferred thru the neck almost immediately. They get no where close to melting temp of 1800f. Still not seeing why a high end controller is needed for this. On-off is fine for what we are doing. It is keeping a range not to the degree. KISS principal works fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    How is it way to hot?? People use 3000f to anneal for a set amount of time. If only dipping the necks for 5-8 seconds, you arenít over annealing. Temp (500c) is transferred thru the neck almost immediately. They get no where close to melting temp of 1800f. Still not seeing why a high end controller is needed for this. On-off is fine for what we are doing. It is keeping a range not to the degree. KISS principal works fine here.
    For the most part you do NOT want the neck annealed to 'dead soft.'

It will not produce adequate neck tension until it has been loaded and fired a few times.

3000F of flame temp is not the same as immersion in salt in terms of heat transfer.

The burning gas is far hotter, but has a far smaller mass.

It is not all that clear if the cases being anneals are de-primed.

The salt heats from both sides when I anneal de-primed cases.

Using a simple bang-bang thermostat always produces a larger swing in the actual temperature.

It would likely take an even more extensive series of test to determine if it produces an actual difference.
    The thermostat on my pot failed long ago.
    I had a spare PID controller and K thermocouple sitting around.

It worked so well I never bothered fixing the thermostat on the pot.

In stead of arbitrary numbers and experimenting to get a desired temperature I can
    fat finger a temperature value into the controller and it gets there very squickly with little overshoot.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 05-26-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Ive used three hundred

of the salt bath annealed cases over the past couple of weeks and they seem NORMAL. I also turned the click of a hundred cases to try and danged if they ain't normal as well . Life is good.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I also turned the click of a hundred cases to try and danged if they ain't normal as well . Life is good.
    Can you describe the procedure (and tools) you used to turn the "click"?

I have been salt bath annealing .22-250 AI and 6 mm Rem AI for many years.

I have very nice sets of cases that are matched in just about every way.

I even sort them out by neck wall variation before turning them.
    The odds are that the case wells follow the neck variation for the most part.

I measured enough to know this was true.

Necks are all 0.0100 thick.
    And I turn them, and check with with a 1/10,000 dial indicator.

The usable range on those is not all that large.

Chamber neck is tight enough a non-turned case will not enter.

I have not lost a case to neck cracking in either caliber.

A chemist once told me

A chemist once told me - for the life of me can't remember his name - that immersing brass in chemical salt baths if hot enough could deposit those salts in the brass. The results could raise the surface tension causing it to harden. Are there any inorganic chemists out there that could add to this. Might be worth further investigation.