Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviving old brass.

Quote Originally Posted by coyotechet View Post
    You are right, if you use the a correct size sizing die the click will most likely never problem. How ever if you are wanting to restore some old brass and remove the click. Sizing the case with a small base die the click seems to come back after just a few firing's. When I use the click remover set up the click seems not come back if after many firings, using a good sizing die and not a super hot load. No I am not making any for sale I just made it for the fun doing it to see if it worked and it does. I preload now using Norma brass.

Chet
    My regular sizing die, which is pretty aggressive in the web area, takes care of the sizing untill about the 5th firing at over 3400+ fps. Then the click will appear. It's not the Dies fault. 70,000 psi loads are not found in the loading manuals.

I was correct in my assumption that quite a few shooters are playing with different methods to alleviate that click.

One thing my little idea hear does is it hits the rim too, resulting in tightening up the primer pocket a small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by C.L. Peterson View Post
    Harrellís die # 4 does a good sizinging this area (6ppc)(for me)
    Doc, if Harrell's recommended a smaller # die for brass you sent to them, do you think using their # 4 would size the brass too much?

BTW, are you going to the SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Doc, if Harrell's recommended a smaller # die for brass you sent to them, do you think using their # 4 would size the brass too much?

BTW, are you going to the SS?
    We can visit at the Super Shoot
    Hopefully parked south of main reloading barn.
    CLP

Quote Originally Posted by C.L. Peterson View Post
    We can visit at the Super Shoot
    Doc, after much deliberation I decided to stay home this week. I did call Harrell's today and discussed the issue with Don; based on his suggestion I checked how my brass fit into the die (and realized I was using a "0" die) -- based on that maybe I need to get a "1" die.

Best of luck at the SS.

Butt sizing die

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I have boxes of old 6PPC cases laying around that I donít use anymore because (due to loads I shoot) they are too tight around the web. This despite using a die that hits the web pretty hard. The necks are still good, and the primer pockets are not too loose.

I decided to try something that I have heard of others doing. I took a Redding body died and bored the shoulder out, leaving just the taper. I then machined about 1/4 inch off of the base. Using a arbor press, I shove a lubed case in all the way. I then flip it and push the case out with a rod.

I then size them in my regular dies.

Bingo. The web now measures like a once fired case. They go in and out of the Rifle with no click. I shot some of them last Sunday, they acted like fresh cases as far as extraction was concerned. I fired the 10 cases I had done this to at least three times, and they acted normal.

Accuracy did not suffer.

The problem with most small base dies is they still use a shell holder. That last little bit of the web just forward of the extractor groove just wonít size down. This setup crams the entire case so everything, including the rim, is hit.

I know others have done this. Just thought I would try it myself.

Brass ainít that expensive, but itís a pain doing everything you have to do to get them ready to go to the line.

I have to drive over to Bridge City in the morning, when I get back I will take some pictures of the setup.

Here are some pics.....

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1558038786

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1558038845

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1558038895

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1558038949
    Jackie,

Iíve got a die that I was given that is similar to what you have done. I have it mounted on my press along with a turned down shell holder so that the entire case body gets sized. Iím getting it down to .4385 consistently to keep the clicking under control.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	154B81E9-8327-4D67-A9CB-A5FB0E8D743C.jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	975.8 KB 
ID:	22396  

Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    Jackie,

Iíve got a die that I was given that is similar to what you have done. I have it mounted on my press along with a turned down shell holder so that the entire case body gets sized. Iím getting it down to .4385 consistently to keep the clicking under control.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott - how often do you squeeze the butt?

Every time you size or does it just need it occasionally?

Jerry in our application we are sizing every four or five firings. We hit the ring die every four or five and then the FL die.

I've done several things over the years

I've turned the cases in the past on the butts but my crude setup made it difficult. Thanks for posting the pictures. Many of us learn a lot better from seeing things than reading. I settled on the small base die and have been using that for a few years but I can see it's better to turn the cases smaller.

I got past chasing speed and high pressure so my cases don't get worked hard anymore. I'm gonna try using a Wilson case holder and chuck it up in my lathe and see what there is for runout. Heck, I guess I could just make a bushing with my reamer, couldn't I? The Wilson is done so I'll try that first. Good Stuff, This.

I'm returning to the CF world after a few years in the Black Arts.

Pete

What do you mean by turn the cases smaller? Remove metal from the web area? Think about it.

Butt sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W View Post
    Scott - how often do you squeeze the butt?

Every time you size or does it just need it occasionally?
    Occasionally, if I start to feel any increase in bolt lift or the dreaded click. During matches Iíll take a quick measurement after sizing every couple matches to confirm shoulder bump and the butt size. I have the die easily accessible in my Harrels turret press so I can put the squeeze to the cases whenever I need to.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    What do you mean by turn the cases smaller? Remove metal from the web area? Think about it.
    It's more like the head area. It's only about .001", hardly anything to be concerned about. I just did 100. Used the size of a new case as a guide. Only a thou or so.

I had a Wilson trimmer holder that is a tad smaller than a BR case. It ran true in my 3 jaw so I went to it. Well let ya know what happens. I got one of them three rings of steel guns to shoot em in .

Pete

Brass

Brass is one of the components of this Sport,that is expendable. When it gets old, why try to resurrect it, just buy new brass.

Just my opinion.

Glenn

Iím one who feels squeezing the brass is time well spent. First, while you are only taking off .001 this time, over the life of the brass Iíd be taking about .01 and Second while brass is expendable I have better things to do than prep new brass when it gets tight. Now, Iím talking .30BR brass and as such you get much more uses out of it than you do with 6PPC.

The whole Reason

I was interested in annealing the whole case was to avoid the hard bodies one gets from continuous squeezing. If the necks get too hard after 6 or so sizing, Imagine how hard the bodies are when they are never annealed! Just to calm everyone down, I relented on the full length annealing, now this! What is the real difference between turning a thou off a case or making a chamber bigger as some suggest? In my opinion, lots of folks worry needlessly over not much.

In regards to new brass often, Not only is it expensive but there is a lot of work involved in making it new often. If one shoots a lot and has a lot of cases, new often is not an option, at least for me. I live on a modest income and don't have the extra to spend replacing perfectly good brass. It's the way I choose to do things as some others apparently do.

Pete

As I see it Pete, an enlarged chamber only prolongs the agony before you have to web size the first time and then after that, itís back to square one with a larger based cartridge.