Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 99

Thread: Things You Should Avoid Doing When You Are Over 70.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,442

    Things You Should Avoid Doing When You Are Over 70.

    Yesterday, I was looking through our material supply, and somehow tripped over a piece. I could not avoid the fall and landed on a piece of steel, putting a 3 inch long gash in my forearm. I knew emmediatly that this was going to take more than a band aid.

    Anyway, my brother wrapped a rag around my arm with duct tape, rushed me to the local urgent care, they cleaned it and stitched it it.

    I may be getting dumber as I get older. One miss step and now I gotta put up with this for a couple of weeks. The doctor quizzed me, wanting to know if I had possibly passed out, fainted , or what ever old people do.

    I said no, I just went brain dead for a second.

    I guess I have to be more careful.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1557445024

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1557445073
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3036.JPG 
Views:	558 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	22355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3038.JPG 
Views:	612 
Size:	981.2 KB 
ID:	22356  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 05-09-2019 at 08:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    132
    Thankful it wasnít more serious.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,331
    This is when we start paying back for back when we were fit & our bones didn't creak hardly at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,442
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    This is when we start paying back for back when we were fit & our bones didn't creak hardly at all.
    As hard as I landed, I am surprise I didnít sustain a fracture. The X Rayed it and the bone looked ok.

    Considering all of the things I have done to myself through the years that resulted in being banged up pretty bad, it would be rather anti climatic to die from a bump on the head because I tripped over something.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    408

    It could have been worse

    At least it wasn't your trigger finger.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West central NH
    Posts
    510
    And for us old dogs, they don't worry about making pretty stitches. Dr. Frankenstein made nicer stitches than that!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tomball,Texas
    Posts
    955

    Smile Boo Boo..... lol.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Yesterday, I was looking through our material supply, and somehow tripped over a piece. I could not avoid the fall and landed on a piece of steel, putting a 3 inch long gash in my forearm. I knew emmediatly that this was going to take more than a band aid.

    Anyway, my brother wrapped a rag around my arm with duct tape, rushed me to the local urgent care, they cleaned it and stitched it it.

    I may be getting dumber as I get older. One miss step and now I gotta put up with this for a couple of weeks. The doctor quizzed me, wanting to know if I had possibly passed out, fainted , or what ever old people do.

    I said no, I just went brain dead for a second.

    I guess I have to be more careful.

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1557445024

    http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1557445073

    Glad your going to be ok Champ........

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    301
    Yeah, donít ever tell them you passed out first. Thatís another set of tests and another doctor or three. Youíd never know it to look at my pretty face but Iíve had over a hundred stitches in it from my hockey playing days. Scars heal up better than you think.
    The reason we get hurt as old timers is because weíre doing things the way we used to do it and we canít think as fast as we used to and the reflexes arenít as quick as they used to be.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    we canít think as fast as we used to
    Speak for yourself. Hereabouts, you can't get your driver's license renewed if you have type 2 diabetes & are on meds without a letter from your doctor. But if you don't take them the day you apply, you can honestly say your treating yourself diet only ...........

    You don't get old by being conformist.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,726
    Damn, Jackie....glad you didn't break your arm. You're likely more pizzed off about it than anything!

    Good shootin'. -Al

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,191
    Glad you're OK Jackie!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    Speak for yourself. Hereabouts, you can't get your driver's license renewed if you have type 2 diabetes & are on meds without a letter from your doctor. But if you don't take them the day you apply, you can honestly say your treating yourself diet only ...........

    You don't get old by being conformist.
    The first law of life is that you don't get old by being stupid.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Carrollton Mo.
    Posts
    358

    big three

    Jackie, I had to use the big three for a while and I was 38. Thank God, I don't need to anymore, just the walk in shower with a seat. I aint tough enough for that cath deal. good luck, Doug

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    Posts
    532
    Went over backwards in the shop some three years ago and split my head open on the concrete floor. A ride in the ambulance, seven staples later, a slight brain bleed, concussion and a stay in the hospital and I have never been the same since. Memory loss, concentration abilities and migrain headaches have been the lasting results. Along with numerous brain scans since and they cannot figure out why those effects haven't yet gone away. It has also affected my competitive shooting abilities and the loss of concentration probably being the worst. So be careful out there a good bump on the head just isn't the same as when one was a bit younger and quite typically not a real big deal. Jackie I hope you get better soon and I have you in my Prayers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,442
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    Yeah, donít ever tell them you passed out first. Thatís another set of tests and another doctor or three. .
    Yeh, the attending doctor was hinting that perhaps she should schedule a MRI. I said politely as I could that was not going to happen.

    I'm not ready for the "big three" just yet.

    Depends, catheters, and walk in bath tubs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •