Thread: Gun case foam!

Gun case foam!

Anyone know where to get the foam that's often used to pad gun cases? The kind that also looks like this. I bought a gun case that's deeper than normal, but they didn't put thick enough foam into it and 2 guns will just slide around into each other. Hopefully something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited by antelopedundee; 10-13-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Put something under the existing foam...old underwear, towels, etc...

OK, so "foam" isn't the whole story........

First of all the foam in the picture is a very cheap, soft foam. You can easily get something like it.... I've got many sheets I've used to line projector "hush boxes" and various Home Theatre sound/speaker projects. I bought mine at Joanne's Fabrics, Fred Meyer and Walmart. I've never found black though.

Secondly, "foam" isn't an adequate descriptor...... the various foams are made using different base materials. I once had a gun rust, quickly, in an archery case. I spoke with the company and they said "Ohhh, we would never recommend you put blued steel into that foam"....

And thirdly, the FOAM isn't maybe as important as the container. I have gun cases ranging from "dollar-two-ninety-nine" the "hunnerds of dollars" and the gooder cases have a strong, solidly supportive foam and an aluminum or other very rigid outer shell.

Soooo, I'm with Wilbur on this one.

In fact, I've recently taken this another way too. I've wrapped the guns themselves using towels, silicone gunsocks, denim, even blankets (I've never used old underwear so can't comment on that suggestion) I've got cases that bulge out like a wallermellion before they'll hold a gun from moving

yeahh, I'm cheap

I won't even beautify it with "thrifty" nor "frugal" nor "skint"..... I wear holey socks.

and underwear, come to that....

hmm

maybe THAT's why......

I picked up some mattress foam at World of Wally. Around $9 for a 36 x 72 inch piece. Will open it once I'm satisfied it won't rust my stuff. Don't care about color.
    Last edited by antelopedundee; 10-13-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Wally-world mattress pad foam with the dimples has always worked fine for me, even when in the case for several days. I always put in plenty of moisture-absorbing packets with the guns.

In my part of the world, that type of foam sucks up moisture and rusts cold guns placed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kielly View Post
    In my part of the world, that type of foam sucks up moisture and rusts cold guns placed in it.
    +1000

I wouldn't put a Daisy Red Rider BB gun in a case w/ open cell foam in it.

Desiccant crystals are attracting & absorbing moisture.

Closed cell foam that is used for compound bow target centers is what all my hard cases have in them.
    (inletting required)

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post
    +1000

I wouldn't put a Daisy Red Rider BB gun in a case w/ open cell foam in it.

Desiccant crystals are attracting & absorbing moisture.

Closed cell foam that is used for compound bow target centers is what all my hard cases have in them.
    (inletting required)
    As per usual, Dan brought it into perspective

well said