Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Place reticle, pull trigger while looking at flags?

I shoot heads up, no part of my body involved but my finger laying on the trigger.

I can shoot fast when I want to, but most of the time I take my time and watch the flags with my left eye while glancing through the scope with my right. Flag setting is very criticle.

If you saw my bench set up, you would laugh. I bought the rear bag, used, from a fellow shooter 20 years ago. The front is a old Hart with a top I made from a small Lathe compound we scrapped out years ago. I have owned two joystick test through the years, never cared for them.

Here is my long range Rifle sitting in my bench setup.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1557241228

This is my new Scoville Stocked LV sitting in the same set up.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1557252601

I win my share, and certainly loose my share. I tend to shoot Score better than Group, mainly because I shoot more Score. I just put together a new LV so I am trying to get back into more Group.

My best advice is shoot the way that feels comfortable to you and gives good results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1948.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	22349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3022.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	22351  
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 05-07-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Article

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Month and year?
    Hunter, it is on page 19 of the April Precision Rifleman at the tail end of the Cactus recap. Sorry for not getting back sooner, was out of town on business and then helping get ready for a club match this weekend...

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by hayscott View Post
    Hunter, it is on page 19 of the April Precision Rifleman at the tail end of the Cactus recap. Sorry for not getting back sooner, was out of town on business and then helping get ready for a club match this weekend...

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott, I saw the following after searching for the article you mentioned https://www.nbrsa.org/wp-content/upl...Classic-2.pdf; however, after reading it I thought you might have been referring to an older article. Thanks for following-up on my question. BTW, I called Ed and talked with him about that subject, and he graciously took time to discuss.

If you are right handed and right eyed put the flags on your left.

You can keep both eyes open and see the target with your right eye through the scope and the flags with your left eye.

It takes practice.
    I do the same thing when shooting varmints but often have to watch the crops in the field for wind.

I also use a rangefinder on the critter.

Quote Originally Posted by EdLena View Post
    I saw a video once of a benchrest shooter in Finland I believe with a different shooting technique. He aligned the rifle through the scope on the target and held it firmly in place.
    He then watched the flags with his head up and when the flags where in a certain position he pulled the trigger. Do any of you know what that method is called?
    I dont know the name but the technique is used by a lot of 22 benchrest shooters, quite successfully I might add.