Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Spidah

I have a 3 jaw and never use it....guess I like using my dial indicators and for me it's just a hobby.

Mort

I made a second chuck key for my four jaw chuck that made it more enjoyable and faster for myself to use. I actually enjoy using it more so than the three jaw when I can. It does not close enough to grab onto something small or I would be using it all of the time.

Its pretty easy

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    I have a 3 jaw and never use it....guess I like using my dial indicators and for me it's just a hobby.

Mort
    to get a decent 3 jaw chuck to run near zero. Simply turn a few thou off the register of the backing plate and bump the chuck into zero and tighten it up. May not be as good as a Set Tru but it will get ya dern close. It the scroll in one's 3 jaw is worn severely, don't bother.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 05-13-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Pete,
    I hear what you are saying and my three jaw was beyond what I wanted to fool with. The spindle in my small lathe is only 3/4 inch. A lot of the material I use requires 2 to 3 inch stock.

I use to cut the larger stock to length with a hack saw. This allowed me to chuck it and go to work. I can't do much of that anymore, so I chuck the material in the four jaw and using a steady rest I cut off my finished work piece with a parting tool.....much, much easier for me.

When I worked in a machine shop most of the jobs that came in didn't have an exterior surface that was true to the bore or flange. A dial indicator was the only choice.

Wheather the work was done on a large lathe or milling machine, getting it dialed in, in a short period of time was an accomplishment you felt good about.

In my currant situation time isn't an issue (good thing) and I want to see if I still have a little touch.

It's all about ego....mine.

Mort
    Last edited by dmort; 05-12-2019 at 10:53 PM.

A friend

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Pete,
    I hear what you are saying and my three jaw was beyond what I wanted to fool with. The spindle in my small lathe is only 3/4 inch. A lot of the material I use requires 2 to 3 inch stock.

I use to cut the larger stock to length with a hack saw. This allowed me to chuck it and go to work. I can't do much of that anymore, so I chuck the material in the four jaw and using a steady rest I cut off my finished work piece with a parting tool.....much, much easier for me.

When I worked in a machine shop most of the jobs that came in didn't have an exterior surface that was true to the bore or flange. A dial indicator was the only choice.

Wheather the work was done on a large lathe or milling machine, getting it dialed in, in a short period of time was an accomplishment you felt good about.

In my currant situation time isn't an issue (good thing) and I want to see if I still have a little touch.

It's all about ego....mine.

Mort
    Who is a life long machinist advised me to use my 4 jaw exclusively so that it became second nature. I have used it a lot and don't struggle zeroing things in. I watch mostly Youtubes for television so I have watched many lessons on using 4 jaw chucks and any other kind of chuck one can think of. I like being able to quickly turn some round thing if I want without going through the zeroing thing though. I also have a set of ER 40 collets for my lathe, which I use as well if I think I should.

Pete

Speaking of chucks, I am beginning to like my 2 pinion Bison combination chuck. You have the convenience of a scroll chuck with adjustability of a 4J. On the same size material running the jaws in with the pinions gets you to close to the same repeatability of a set thru, dialing the 4J thereafter just requires minimal tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by NezRongero View Post
    Speaking of chucks, I am beginning to like my 2 pinion Bison combination chuck. You have the convenience of a scroll chuck with adjustability of a 4J. On the same size material running the jaws in with the pinions gets you to close to the same repeatability of a set thru, dialing the 4J thereafter just requires minimal tweaking.
    Had a Bison go through my hands sometime back. A nice piece ......I think it was from Poland.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Who is a life long machinist advised me to use my 4 jaw exclusively so that it became second nature. I have used it a lot and don't struggle zeroing things in. I watch mostly Youtubes for television so I have watched many lessons on using 4 jaw chucks and any other kind of chuck one can think of. I like being able to quickly turn some round thing if I want without going through the zeroing thing though. I also have a set of ER 40 collets for my lathe, which I use as well if I think I should.

Pete
    Years ago I couldn't afford a 3 jaw chuck so I got real handy using a 4 jaw. Eventually I was able to acquire a 3 jaw and life got better. Then a while back I bought 68 5C collets for 75 bucks at a flea market. Life just keeps getting better

I like the ER 40's

Quote Originally Posted by martin zuck View Post
    Years ago I couldn't afford a 3 jaw chuck so I got real handy using a 4 jaw. Eventually I was able to acquire a 3 jaw and life got better. Then a while back I bought 68 5C collets for 75 bucks at a flea market. Life just keeps getting better
    My lathe didn't have any collets so I bought the ER40's. Chineseum, of course but they are pretty good. I trued up the three jaw and it runs dead nuts on a ground rod so Life is pretty easy here too. The lathe is a 1994 and still had cosmoline on almost everything. The 4 jaw had never been mounted. Looked like the fellow who owned it trued armatures on it from the chip residue on it. I would say he didn't ever use it much. I got about a grand in it with all the stuff I've bought for it. The only thing about it I don't like is the change gears but the price was right. I can turn wrenches. The tailstock is dead nuts level too.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    My lathe didn't have any collets so I bought the ER40's. Chineseum, of course but they are pretty good. I trued up the three jaw and it runs dead nuts on a ground rod so Life is pretty easy here too. The lathe is a 1994 and still had cosmoline on almost everything. The 4 jaw had never been mounted. Looked like the fellow who owned it trued armatures on it from the chip residue on it. I would say he didn't ever use it much. I got about a grand in it with all the stuff I've bought for it. The only thing about it I don't like is the change gears but the price was right. I can turn wrenches. The tailstock is dead nuts level too.

Pete
    Pete,
    Your showing your age. Today most gunsmith machinist would be lost if they had to manually change gears for feeds and threading.