Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Spidah

My Spidah

Installed the front Spider I bought last winter to the backing plate for my 3 jaw chuck to see if it would work before I bought a new plate for it and it seems to be fine. I used 3 of the 4 holes which I feel will be enough. Three 3/8 bolts should be plenty. Got the ring to run zero using a good test indicator. Should work! Took a good 3" off the stick-out and reduced weight from the four jaw chuck. That shouldn't hurt anything.

Pete

When you mount it to a good back plate, make sure you have a balanced setup. Using 3 out of the 4 holes may throw an out of balance vibration at speed.

I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    When you mount it to a good back plate, make sure you have a balanced setup. Using 3 out of the 4 holes may throw an out of balance vibration at speed.
    I may fill the existing holes, flip it over and drill three new ones before I mount it to a new plate or I guess I could just keep one hole and drill three after I fill the other three, well see. Thanks for thinking of me. Nothing is ever easy,is it?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I may fill the existing holes, flip it over and drill three new ones before I mount it to a new plate or I guess I could just keep one hole and drill three after I fill the other three, well see. Thanks for thinking of me. Nothing is ever easy,is it?

Pete
    I wish I could get my lathe to run zero on anything

Should be easily done with a four jaw chuck. I have made quite a few cherrie cut bullet moulds for friends and it isn't unusual to have to open up the baseband a thou. or two or three depending on individua finished sizes needed. The run out has to be zero when taking a half thousandths cut to increase the size one thousandths and easily done with my four jaw chuck that came with the machine.

Pete I would use all four holes on your Spider and the same as using a four jaw chuck.

Pete,

Here is an unsolicited input from a rookie. I found the faceplate a lot easier to mount the Bald Eagle spider to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171106_215542.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	22322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170502_234847001.jpeg 
Views:	365 
Size:	695.0 KB 
ID:	22323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170429_194145001001.jpeg 
Views:	407 
Size:	618.8 KB 
ID:	22324  
    Last edited by NezRongero; 04-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Nez, just curious,

what are you doing to the upper in pic #3 ?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
    Looks like he's taking a facing cut on area the barrel adapter is clamped in, I'm not an AR guy but I do the same thing when I put an AR together, going to blame it on the kid. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
    I made the jig out of a ground rod to dial the receiver just for laughs and giggles. I indicated the receiver face. It was not square so I skimmed it a little.

Not sure if it helps the precision at all; I asked Keith S to test fire the upper with our standard mid range (600) ammo. Before he centered the scope he fired this group, first rounds out of the barrel, prone, sling, and 4.5X power scope. Range, 200 yards, POA, center of X ring.

FYI, I only did that one receiver, never done another one since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG950203.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	22326  
    Last edited by NezRongero; 05-01-2019 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NezRongero View Post
    I made the jig out of a ground rod to dial the receiver just for laughs and giggles. I indicated the receiver face. It was not square so I skimmed it a little.

Not sure if it helps the precision at all; I asked Keith S to test fire the upper with our standard mid range (600) ammo. Before he centered the scope he fired this group, first rounds out of the barrel, prone, sling, and 4.5X power scope. Range, 200 yards, POA, center of X ring.

FYI, I only did that one receiver, never done another one since.

Nez, is this the one that Keith won with at Perry?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Nez, is this the one that Keith won with at Perry?
    Unfortunately, not this one. The upper went to a soldier in Puerto Rico. Lee's shot about the same as well, he used it to set a record at Perry. In Houston at one time I watched him in the no sighter match shoot 15/20 Xs in a row at 600 with his upper.

Thanks Nez

Quote Originally Posted by NezRongero View Post
    Pete,

Here is an unsolicited input from a rookie. I found the faceplate a lot easier to mount the Bald Eagle spider to.
    My first thought was using the faceplae but thought the O.D. might be cumbersome; don't know why but I'll take another look at it. save me buying another backing plate.

Pete

Practice, Practice, Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Mram10 View Post
    I wish I could get my lathe to run zero on anything
    Assuming you have little to no run out in your spindle, Zero's are attainable.

Pete

Spindle bearings might need to be re-adjusted as was the case when I got my used lathe and we'll worth looking at if you cannot achieve a zero run-out.

I use to have a South Bend

10L. Nice old machine, made in 1944, same year I was made but not born . I worked in the Machinetool Rebuilding Trade then and could not find any run out in the spindle when I bought it in 1967 nor could I when I sold it in 2017. I only ran it in a shop setting all those years and some years it never got turned on. Had the bed ground and scraped everything in to that around 69 or so, nice old lathe, also converted to the large dials too and the tail stock was lengthened 2" with wipers installed on the tail stock as well.No Run Out!

Sold it because I didn't have room for it and had replaced it with a more modern machine which also has little or NO Run Out. A Taiwanese machine.

Pete