Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redfield Widefield

Redfield Widefield

Picked up a 3x9 with the accu-trac or accu-range not sure which its called. Seems to work fine but at low magnification you can see black specks on what appears to be the back side of the objective lens. Are these scopes nitrogen filled and how do you remove the front lens or should I just use as is ? Didn't notice the spots when I looked thru it in the pawn shop, guess I didn't try it with the magnification back off all the way or maybe the $20 price tags blurred my vision lol. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdn1 View Post
    Picked up a 3x9 with the accu-trac or accu-range not sure which its called. Seems to work fine but at low magnification you can see black specks on what appears to be the back side of the objective lens. Are these scopes nitrogen filled and how do you remove the front lens or should I just use as is ? Didn't notice the spots when I looked thru it in the pawn shop, guess I didn't try it with the magnification back off all the way or maybe the $20 price tags blurred my vision lol. Thanks
    IMO, use as is. opening it will generally make it worse.

if its bugging you

send it to ironsight scope repair. google them

Best scope anyone ever made for what it was intended for. Bought mine in the late 60's . They will last your lifetime if not abused. That's just me....

Try Here

Look up Redfield.com. Or Call 1-877-798-9686 and give them the serial No. and see if thy will repair your scope.
    Worth the call. Great scope.
    Centerrfire

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    send it to ironsight scope repair. google them
    http://ironsightinc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    Look up Redfield.com. Or Call 1-877-798-9686 and give them the serial No. and see if thy will repair your scope.
    Worth the call. Great scope.
    Centerrfire
    Current Redfield scopes, optics are made by Leupold.

yep the original redfield went away years ago.
    the name has been used by a few, now part of luepold.
    and yes i have a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by antelopedundee View Post

I may be wrong here but I think you will find that leupold has never made their own glass. Back when Redfield got in to the scope business they bought the scope division from the Kollmorgen optical company and continued to make their own glass until their demise. Don Burris worked for Redfield, after leaving them with the help of Plummer optical he founded the Burris company and continued to make their own glass until they changed hands. I believe Burris was the last of the scope glass made in this country.

Stith

Quote Originally Posted by martin zuck View Post
    I may be wrong here but I think you will find that leupold has never made their own glass. Back when Redfield got in to the scope business they bought the scope division from the Kollmorgen optical company and continued to make their own glass until their demise. Don Burris worked for Redfield, after leaving them with the help of Plummer optical he founded the Burris company and continued to make their own glass until they changed hands. I believe Burris was the last of the scope glass made in this country.
    Was Kollmorgen and Stith the same company? My dad said you had lyman and weaver then you had stith. They were the best back in the 50s. A guy brought an old model 70 swift out one day had a stith , I think Im saying it right, on it. I tried to buy it but he wouldn't part with it. Doug

I mentioned Leupold because they may be able to repair the OP's scope. Not sure if Redfield is housed in the same facility or is separate.

I have an older 2 x 7 widefield on my DeerSlayer Ithaca 37.

Also own 3 older Redfield scopes on my hunting rifles. Never saw a reason to replace them.

today's redfield is a "name" only.
    no connection link or parts of the past.
    ironsite is the place to go
    I mentioned Leupold because they may be able to repair the OP's scope. Not sure if Redfield is housed in the same facility or is separate.

Also own 3 older Redfield scopes on my hunting rifles. Never saw a reason to replace them.

I have 3

of the Denver Redfield 2-7X scopes and every one of them are solid holding POI. One went back to Ironsight a few years ago for clearing up lens clouding. Not fungus but clouding due to lens cement deterioration. Yes they ARE the place to go for Denver Redfields and the stuff leupold calls Redfields.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Casner View Post
    Was Kollmorgen and Stith the same company? My dad said you had lyman and weaver then you had stith. They were the best back in the 50s. A guy brought an old model 70 swift out one day had a stith , I think Im saying it right, on it. I tried to buy it but he wouldn't part with it. Doug
    Kollmorgen made the "Stith Bear Cub" scopes for Stith. I don't know what their relationship was but when it ended Kollmorgan continued to produce these scopes under their name until Redfield took over. If memory serves me correctly they offered them in 2 1/2, 4 and 6X. The first variables were made under the Redfield name. Again if memory serves me correctly they were the first scopes where the cross hairs stayed the same size regardless of power change. There was a fellow named Hilliard with Redfield who was killed in an accident and that seemed to be about the same time things took a turn for the worse. Kollmorgan is still in business today. Like B&L their scope business was more of a side line. Probably more than you wanted to know but things are a little slow this evening.

things took a turn for the worse when the epa found ground contamination at redfield.
    they had been dumping waste on their property for years it does not stay on your property
    the cleanup costs and probable fines led to the closure.

. There was a fellow named Hilliard with Redfield who was killed in an accident and that seemed to be about the same time things took a turn for the worse.