Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Annealers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,060

    Annealers

    Watched some videos on annealing machines this morning and looking through the list of Youtubes, there are a bunch. One newish one I saw was from DeLand Fl. Single torch and two wheels with a slot in them that handle the cases. For a couple hundred bucks, I thought it a good value. A bit noisy from the whirring rotary mechanism but has a speed control and of course, the torch is easily controllable. Requires a bit of know how but it ain't $1500. either.

    The Salt bath seems the simplest and a bit less than the machine I just spoke of. I have been hoping for a cheaper induction machine but have yet to see one. I like that concept.

    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 04-24-2019 at 02:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albany, OR
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Watched some videos on annealing machines this morning and looking through the list of Youtubes, there are a bunch. One newish one I saw was from DeLand Fl. Single torch and two wheels with a slot in them that handle the cases. For a couple hundred bucks, I thought it a good value. A bit noisy from the whirring rotary mechanism but has a speed control and of course, the torch is easily controllable. Requires a bit of know how but it ain't $1500. either.

    The Salt bath seems the simplest and a bit less than the machine I just spoke of. I have been hoping for a cheaper induction machine fut have yet to see one. I like that concept.

    Pete
    You're probably already aware of the "Annie", but in case you're not: https://fluxeon.com/product/annie-induction-annealer/. Not sure what price point you're looking at.

    Regards,

    GsT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,060

    Well

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    You're probably already aware of the "Annie", but in case you're not: https://fluxeon.com/product/annie-induction-annealer/. Not sure what price point you're looking at.

    Regards,

    GsT
    a few years back a lad was using a unit automotive mechanics use that was around 400, as I recall. I figured China would find a way to make some for half that. Mebby not.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,735
    I've used several methods to anneal cases, including the high end automatic machines.

    My little Meeks annealer that goes on a standard hand held propane torch still gives as good a result as any.



    Last edited by Al Nyhus; 05-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    315
    As Randy Robinett would say “That’ll never work” But it does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Does the flame touch the case? Regardless, how long do you leave the case in the heat?
    The flame encircles the case at the body/shoulder junction. Stand the cases up in a pan with 1/2" of water in it to act as a heat sink. Once the case is up to temp (I use Tempilac liquid), simply tip the case over into the water as you take the tool off. This stops the heating.

    Once you know how long to keep the tool over the case, you can dispense with the Tempilac and simply time it. Another interesting thing I've observed with this tool.....no matter what the case size (.17's to 30's), as soon as you see bubbles forming at the case body/water line, you're where you want to be for temp. Standard propane works better than M.A.P. gas with this tool.

    It's important to note that what you really want to do is simply stress relieve the cases. True annealing occurs at much higher temps.

    Good shootin'. -Al

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,060

    I've been through one of them

    SLOW! We bought a Ken Light machine years ago but it requires a setup and futzing and, well, works fine enough but not what I wanted to continue with. As I have said, I think using a temperature that is right for the job in a media that is stable is the appropriate way to proceed, for me. I collaborated with a friend on a batch of SS media for cleaning cases and he has been doing them for me and annealing them after. He has a Ken Light machine also but I just thought this Salt Bath thing interesting so geared up with one. Its quick and not real messy.I like mine so far.

    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 04-24-2019 at 07:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    SLOW! Pete
    Pete, 50 cases took 20 minutes total the other evening, including filling the pans with water, placing the cases in the pan and dumping the water out.

    For what it's worth. -Al

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    745
    "My little Burns annealer that goes on a standard hand held propane torch still gives as good a result as any. "

    Al,

    I also use this set up.

    Could you please tell me about how much time you have the flame on each case?

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    515
    Liquid salt is even easier.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Al, I also use this set up. Could you please tell me about how much time you have the flame on each case? Thanks
    Using 450 as a temp, 8 seconds gets me there. Again, that's using propane, not M.A.P. gas.

    Hope this helps. -Al

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
    Using 450 as a temp, 8 seconds gets me there.
    Thanks for sharing your method. I use a set-up similar to the one shown in the video at https://cartridgeanneal.com/, without using the liquid. I timed the process shown at about 4 seconds; however, for some reason that I don't recall I've been keeping the case in the flame for 8 seconds, without encountering a problem. In the future, maybe I'll reduce the time to about 5 seconds.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,060

    To each his own

    I like new stuff I guess, ergo I'm always a sucker for someone.

    Pete

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    10
    I still like my AMP!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •