Thread: Do you need a Bridgeport?

Do you need a Bridgeport?

Jay Lynn Gore is giving up BR. He has a lot of BR stuff for sale. His Bridgeport is a 42" step pulley with power feed and a Mitutoyo DRO. It comes with some tooling.
    1 903 883 3626

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Jay Lynn Gore is giving up BR. He has a lot of BR stuff for sale. His Bridgeport is a 42" step pulley with power feed and a Mitutoyo DRO. It comes with some tooling.
    1 903 883 3626
    I have a mill from a recently departed group shooter to get rid of. It is an Induma brand. Just like a Bridgeport only one size larger and with a #40 spindle nose. The #40 takes mill shanks up to 1-1/4".

I have someone in Arkansas looking for a mill. Where are these located?

Jay Lynn lives outside of Greenville, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    I have someone in Arkansas looking for a mill. Where are these located?
    The Induma is located in East Tennessee, Kingsport.

A good mill

is well worth driving to. No sweat trailering a milling machine. or in a pickup bed, for that matter. I got a tiny Grizzly mill I wish was a Bridgeport. I don't have the facilities for a Bridgeport or would have one.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    is well worth driving to. No sweat trailering a milling machine. or in a pickup bed, for that matter. I got a tiny Grizzly mill I wish was a Bridgeport. I don't have the facilities for a Bridgeport or would have one.ete
    You once said mass isn't everything and I agree with you, but a heavy accurate machine will do the same job easier and faster.......you can even make blue chips,but how important is that in the Gunsmith trade?

Mort
    I'm not a smith so what do I know.
    Last edited by dmort; 04-20-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Some nice things about a Bridgeport

DOWN FEED, Spindle Travel, Heft, Table Travel. A KNEE, Power, Just a few. Well worth the trip.

I worked in the Machinetool Rebuilding trade for about 7 years back in the late 60's and early 70's. I did the mechamical work to rebuild three or four Bridgeports, I don't remember for sure. Every shop I ever worked in, either as an employee or vendor had Bridgeports in them. I even got to use the one in our shop sometimes. A very classic item, regardless of the series. a true WORKHORSE.

I work out of a wood floored garden shed Sooooooooo. I'm 74 yoa and split my time between two residences, Sooooo. If I could go back 5 years I would have built a building I could have supported a BRIDGEPORT in. Hindsight being what it is, I would have looked for a derilict Industrial building and built an apartment in it when I retired and had mostly Shop Space. Tom Lipton, who lives in the San Fransisco Bay area has exactly that. I envy him. He makes some fantastic YouTubes.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 04-20-2019 at 06:49 PM.

I am starting to lean that way ( like Lipton ) as the property tax and school taxes situations are way out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    is well worth driving to. No sweat trailering a milling machine. or in a pickup bed, for that matter. I got a tiny Grizzly mill I wish was a Bridgeport. I don't have the facilities for a Bridgeport or would have one.

Pete
    Depending on the size f the mill it may be a little heavy for a half ton pickup.

For the most part mass dampens vibration.

Fine work requires tight setups and minimal vibration.

It is gone.

Well, yes

Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    Depending on the size f the mill it may be a little heavy for a half ton pickup.

For the most part mass dampens vibration.

Fine work requires tight setups and minimal vibration.
    I have an 87 C-20 so I blive I could haul it on but a half ton don't have the springs, mebby, although I've hauled a ton of farm produce on an old Chevy in the past because I had to and it took it but the front wheels were mighty light. Right on the rear frame bumpers, she were.

Pete