Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bedding procedure ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bryant View Post
    Just another opinion. I bed the action first with a barrel in place. Then remove the action from the stock and take the barrel off. Iíll rough up the bedding with a dremel cut off wheel to remove the skin from the bedding and give teeth for the JB Weld. I then degrease the action with acetone and blast the bottom of the action with 120 grit aluminum oxide. Mix up the JB Weld (24 hour set type, not five minute) and apply it to the bedding area of the stock and also to the bottom of the action. Then I place the action in the stock and press it into the stock with a 3 ton arbor press. Not that it takes 3 tons to press it in. I use just enough pressure to bottom out the action in the bedding. Iíll hold pressure on the handle until the JB quits oozing out between the action and the stock. Clean up the excess epoxy making sure to remove all the JB Weld from the trigger hanger area and any screw holes in the stock. I also have a hole under the stock that goes to the screw that holds the bolt release in place. Iíll clean any JB out of that hole as well. Then let the JB Weld set up overnight with no pressure on the action except for gravity holding it in place. Also make sure that there is no JB Weld that gets into the receiver threads or receiver face. The holding strength of JB isnít in the thickness of the epoxy bond. Epoxy has its most strength with a thin bond. Kelly Ellis recently removed a Farley out of a stock that I had glued in for him to use the action on his rail gun. He had a heck of a time getting the action out of the stock. But was finally able to get it out with an iron and a soldering iron applying heat to the tang of the action.
    This is good advice. For real, not some innernet hack's delusional maunderings and unfounded guesses

Who me?

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    This is good advice. For real, not some innernet hack's delusional maunderings and unfounded guesses
    All right this does it. If I get any more insults like this heads are gonna roll. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Nothing wrong with admitting Iím not omniscient...... some could learn from that statement

Jackie, thank you for the explanation.

Mike B, great write up.
    Last edited by Mram10; 04-09-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Ok im putting together a 30br with a Bordem BRM in a wood stock and im thinking of doing a pillar bed job with Devcon and glueing it as well.

My question is what needs to be done to the bedding job before glueing?

Can i simply do the pillar bed job , let it set than add a thin layer of jb weld to glue it in ?

Is there a different glue i should use? Should i rough up the bedding a little before applying the glue?

Thanks
    Another way to skin the cat. Pre bed using saranwrap,release agent not nessesary,wipe down pre bed with lacquer thinner,bead blast and degrease receiver and glue in right away. This leaves about .005 thickness of adhesive. Aluminum and steel start to oxidize almost immediately so don't wait for a couple of days to glue. A while back I sold a fellow a ten and a half pound XP100 ppc. glue in. He wanted me to make a 300 win. short mag.out of it. I was going to screw it togather but he didn't want to spend the money. I warned him of the consequences. I had installed a stud in back guard screw so if it ever or when it does come loose it should stay in the stock.I know the man well enough not to be concerned about liability! Any way 6 years later it's still holding!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Oltersdorf View Post
    All right this does it. If I get any more insults like this heads are gonna roll. Tim

Ok, Ok, okayokayokayyyy....... just put down the cleaver and back away from the churn there Big Guy.... maybe a liddle more ice in that next one eh?? Or mebbeso some pineapple juice or some fresh berries and some nice kale?? Some soy milch and greens maybe?....Cleanse those t-t-toxxinss and get that clear outlook back..........shhhh sshhh....

tiptoes back under his rock..... "maybe the blender will run out of gas" ....

do the bedding first and then do the glue in a little more work but way better result and way easyer later on if you need to unglue the action for what ever reason

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Whats the best method of keeping the JB weld out of the action screw holds and out of the pillars if doing a pillar bed and glue?
    Not a wax ring for a toilet........don't ask!

Keith

If I have thick sections to bed, I usually do it in two steps so that the first thick coat has a chance to cure fully and to shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    If I have thick sections to bed, I usually do it in two steps so that the first thick coat has a chance to cure fully and to shrink.
    That is why bedding first then glueing is recommended

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Mr. Retired,

The only thing worse than arrogance is not asking the question.

Yours truely.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Mr. Retired,

The only thing worse than arrogance is not asking the question.

Yours truely.

Mort

Momma done tole me "If'n ya' don't got nuttin NICE to say.......

........don't say nuttin"

I'm tryin' Momma, I'm tryin'!

not sayin' NUTTIN'!

to some