Thread: To change a 10.5lb LV PPC into 30BR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To change a 10.5lb LV PPC into 30BR?

I have a spare LV 6PPC that i was thinking of rebarreling to a 30BR. What are the disadvantages of a 10.5lb compared to a 13.5lb rifle? Not concerned in keeping it at 10.5lb as the barrel will be a few inches longer than my 20" ppc barrel. So it might be closer to 11lb or so. Apart from weight, i guessing recoil will be more? by much? will it jump in the bags more? The centre of gravity will be more forward than ideal, will that matter if i shoot whilst holding the rifle as opposed to free recoil? Or my other option is to get a new HV 30Br built at a $5K cost.

I bought a Change Barrel in 30BR for my 6PPC. And a barrel vise. Problem solved. It is a 10.5 lb LV with the weights not installed and a 13.5 pound HV with them in.

Bob

While it might not seem like much in theory, there is a noticeable recoil difference in a 10.5 pound 30BR and a 13.5 pound 30BR. After a Grand Agg, you will notice.

And yes, screwing a HV barrel onto a LV frame will make it front heavy. You will notice this with the butt stock wanting to hop out of the bag every now and then. Many Rifles have a weight system to counter this, but in truth, if you are building a 30 BR, out really should start with a stock that has the added material to help get the weight up to 13.5.

I have been there and done all of this. I am not trying to be discouraging, but VFS is EXTREMLY competitive. If you want to enjoy it and be competitive, you really should start with a dedicated Heavy Varmint Platform.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    While it might not seem like much in theory, there is a noticeable recoil difference in a 10.5 pound 30BR and a 13.5 pound 30BR. After a Grand Agg, you will notice.

And yes, screwing a HV barrel onto a LV frame will make it front heavy. You will notice this with the butt stock wanting to hop out of the bag every now and then. Many Rifles have a weight system to counter this, but in truth, if you are building a 30 BR, out really should start with a stock that has the added material to help get the weight up to 13.5.

I have been there and done all of this. I am not trying to be discouraging, but VFS is EXTREMLY competitive. If you want to enjoy it and be competitive, you really should start with a dedicated Heavy Varmint Platform.
    Thanks for your honest reply Jackie. I did have reservations in doing it on a LV stock as i didn't want to walk away from a match with a sore shoulder and saying "im not doing that again" Your reply emphasised that point. I'll have a chat to a gunsmith this week and get HV underway.

cheers

“I’m not doing that again” is exactly what I said after using my .30BR is a group match at Dublin Georgia. I finished well, even shot a .038 group, but went home feeling punished.There’s another aspect to this shooting a .30BR in an LV and that is the punishment you subject your scope to. That’s a lot more felt recoil for the scope. You’ll need double screw rings if you go that way and the scope itself may well suffer...

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    “I’m not doing that again” is exactly what I said after using my .30BR is a group match at Dublin Georgia. I finished well, even shot a .038 group, but went home feeling punished.There’s another aspect to this shooting a .30BR in an LV and that is the punishment you subject your scope to. That’s a lot more felt recoil for the scope. You’ll need double screw rings if you go that way and the scope itself may well suffer...
    Thanks FB, i think i might use my 6PPC in the LV class for score and get a HV score rifle built. I was just shown an updated rule book by one of australias hall of famers. I was looking at an out of date rulebook, as i read it, i can use my 10.5lb LV group rifle in the LV score matches. And our HV score rifles are 14lb max limit.