Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to raise my lathe 3-4 inches

I want to raise my lathe 3-4 inches

I'm 6"2' and I find myself constantly stooped over when doing work on my lathe. I'm getting ready to build a new shop. Can I pour an extra 3-4 inch thick area where I'm going to put my lathe. Will that be enough to support it? It's a Matthews 13X40 GT so not a lot of weight. It's around 1350 lbs. on the stand. Just curious if that can work if reinforced properly.

I figured I'd get a solid answer here. All advice, tips, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks Waverly

not that heavy.
    maybe just alum blocks at the feet ?
    thicker slab is good if you are pouring a slab.

BUT AL is a concrete guy and can tell ya.

my leveling feet are over 3" long so only a 2" spacer
    to get an extra 4" in height.

Waverly,

I am also 6'2" and got tired of stooping over one of my lathes, so I raised it by putting the leveling bolts on 4" aluminum rounds that are about 3-4 inches tall. The rounds sit on anti-vibration pads. This has worked out well for me. Just another option I thought I'd throw out there.

I don't know why a raised pad wouldn't work, and have entertained the idea myself. Jerry Sharrett knows a ton about setting up machines and such, so hopefully, he'll weigh in on this topic. If you do it, reah out to Alinwa....he's a concrete contractor and could probably give you some advice and guidance on the raised pad.

Justin

Just a thought: If you pour a raised slab, consider how big your feet are. You may want to recess the area where your feet will be while operating.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Just a thought: If you pour a raised slab, consider how big your feet are. You may want to recess the area where your feet will be while operating.
    This.^

Or just pour the extra concrete where the headstock and tail Stock are.

Some 4 inch steel blocks would also do the trick. That would be my choice, but then, I have a lot of steel laying around.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 04-04-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Raise by

Quote Originally Posted by waverly View Post
    i'm 6"2' and i find myself constantly stooped over when doing work on my lathe. I'm getting ready to build a new shop. Can i pour an extra 3-4 inch thick area where i'm going to put my lathe. Will that be enough to support it? It's a matthews 13x40 gt so not a lot of weight. It's around 1350 lbs. On the stand. Just curious if that can work if reinforced properly.

I figured i'd get a solid answer here. All advice, tips, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks waverly
    use two pieces of chanel iron bill b

I used 3x3x1/4 square tube. Added some bolts into the concrete and it gave me 4 extra height. If you use concrete anchors, you need 3 nuts and washers per bolt. One to tighten against face of concrete and the other 2 sandwich the tube. Makes leveling easy too. Lots of ways to do it, but I like this setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC87CCF0-0891-43A3-A37E-0471EA65741F.jpeg 
Views:	140 
Size:	728.1 KB 
ID:	22227  
    Last edited by Mram10; 04-05-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Waverly,

I am
    I don't know why a raised pad wouldn't work, and have entertained the idea myself. Jerry Sharrett knows a ton about setting up machines and such, so hopefully, he'll weigh in on this topic. If you do it, reah out to Alinwa....he's a concrete contractor and could probably give you some advice and guidance on the raised pad.

Justin
    At a local lumber store (Lowes) I got some 4"x4" wooden blocks about 5" long. IIR Lowes charged me 25 cents per cut to saw them from a 4x4.. My SB Heavy 10 sits on them. I raised the lathe up with an automotive floor jack.

I asked this question several years ago. Don Neilson said to cut the concrete out in front of the lathe and to stand in the hole.
    You see Inram, we all get our chains pulled.

use a chair ??? LOL

i got mine 2" up with special machine feet (for 4 my chose is concrete and if the floor is realy smooth a i beam can work also but i prefere 4-6 independent parts then so there is no chance of wobble from the imperfect floor)
    Last edited by johan teughels; 04-05-2019 at 11:54 AM.

I moves my mill up

last year 4" and like it better and I'm 5'8". I made a box from wood. Mill was sitting on a piece of steel plate so I just made a box with a center piece the size of the plate and moved it up. Also fastened it to the wall. It's a small Grizzly on it's own cabinet. A lot easier to see what I'm doing.

Pete

got mine up apx 4"+ on steel H beams the beams are connected together via some welded angle iron all sitting on 6" reinforced concrete slab.

left room for feet but stepping that step on stop bar isn't going to happen in a flash. need to make an auxilirary one below it to make it more convenient. Likely the same for anyone else with that e brake/stop.

just as a reminder
    most lathes are heavy
    most lathes need to be level
    and stay level
    some of the suggestions appear to be subject to movement/flex/vibration.
    think before you act

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    I asked this question several years ago. Don Neilson said to cut the concrete out in front of the lathe and to stand in the hole.
    You see Inram, we all get our chains pulled.
    Now that is funny! Comedic kudos to Mr. Neilson.

Justin

When I got my South Bend 9A, the previous owner had put a 4" blocks under the bed where it mounts to the bench.I left them there to see how it worked out.The hight is good for my 5'6" and the extra room makes chip cleaning easier.